Thoughts on the 3x18" Widescan Coil

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have never used one, but I do love that 10X12 DD and that scanning field is wide enough for me and deep when mounted on my Vaquero.
I have read a bunch of posts from guys that do have the 3X18" and they all seem to sing it's praises no matter what Tesoro it is mounted on from the Silver on up.
These would be mostly coin and jewelry hunter types that hunt wide open areas without a ton of trash in parks and sites like that.
Every one of them have mentioned that this coil is no depth monster, however, the 10X12 will go deeper, but I am a jewelry hunter and the wide coil does go plenty deep enough to find the good stuff which in my experience usually doesn't hang out much deeper than about the 6" depth level more often than not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger - thanks. I like the 10x12 as well. It's plenty deep. I need to test it but that couple of hunts I didn't think the back of the coil was picking up any targets. I found myself just using the front half. It might have been my brain was frozen MDing in the cold. :) Thanks for info.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Sandman I got a lot of info from your previous posts. I should have searched before posting. I love the idea of covering so much ground. Still not going to pull the trigger just yet. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions