outlaw?

mwfisherman77

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alright i have a question for any outlaw users... i have a silver umax with a 12X10 concentric coil. i ABSOLUTELY LOVE that combo. however i am curious if an outlaw would be worth the money to upgrade to.

in my area silver is pretty deep dug two big silver 41 and 42 walker halfs recently and they were down 6 on one and 8 inches on the other and it was just a faint whisper on the 8. old silver im assuming is in the 8-10+ inch range and my umax can get 7-8 max just shy of what im assuming old silver is at. is the outlaw deep enough to warrant me spending 400 on it in all honesty? im just going to get the one coil package simply because i already have a 12X10 coil lol. thank you for any responses!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With my Outlaw and the 10"x12" coil I consistently find dimes at 6". I have only found one silver half at about 5". I would think you could get the depth your looking for with the Outlaw. Certainly for halves.

OP
OP
M

mwfisherman77

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet that is great news. Everyone keeps telling me the outlaw is a shallow machine and my silver with the big coil will go as deep or deeper blah blah blah... Well when I get the outlaw I'll be running the big coil on it too. So it'll be even that much deeper. I love the 10x12 concentric!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in exact same boat as you. I have a Silver uMax and have found the depth limit to be in the 7-8 inch range also. I found some late sixties quarters at the 7 inch range and although they weren't a whisper they were awful close. I too looked at the Outlaw but after much research, did not see enough of a depth gain to justify the cost difference. If you are gonna go deeper and spend money to get there, make sure there is enough depth increase to justify it. I just don't feel the extra money is worth the small gain. If you insist on another Tesoro think Vaquero or Tejon. Both have ground balance and are much deeper than the Silver. A lot of people will tell you they love small deep metal though. You get mixed opinions on this one. Some other considerations in the other brands would be F70, Omega, Xterra. Sorry I am not an AT fan although many people love them and do really well with them. I am currently getting ready to pull the trigger and am looking first at the F70 as that is definetely on depth demon. Also considering a Tejon or Omega. Despite that fact that I am not an AT fan you might also consider looking at them, their success speaks volumes.

OP
OP
M

mwfisherman77

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information but I can get a outlaw for 395 I don't even have that kind of money but at most that's all I could remotely afford lol hence I was thinking about the outlaw and I already have 3 coils for my silver. Best in trash is the shadow 7 inch don't need anything smaller than that lol I love my 10x12 though. Another reason I was thinking about the outlaw. But thank you for the information and I've heard the f70 and f75 are intense depth demon machines lol.

mojotrout

Jan 21, 2013
Idaho's high desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used both the Silver and the Outlaw and I have found very little difference in depth, with the Outlaw going just a hair deeper--likely because of the manual GB. However, if you're in mineralized ground, the manual Ground balance on the Outlaw should help much more with depth. Curiously, I also didnt find that much difference in depth between the Outlaw's 10X12 and the 8 inch donut coil, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch more if I recall correctly? I have a spreadsheet posted here somewhere on the Tesoro forum that shows my coin garden and air results. My results may vary from yours though--different soil, swing speed, EMI, etc..

I traded my Outlaw with the 8 inch coil but kept the big and small coils for the Silver 8-). If you already have a Silver, Id go with Rainy's advice and seek out a different detector than the Outlaw--they're just too similar in performance in mild ground IMO.

OP
OP
M

mwfisherman77

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the honest response! I wouldn't be using the big dd coil that comes with the outlaw I'd be using a big concentric, big difference in depth the concentric covers very Lil area but goes deeper. Buy even so sounds like if I stick with Tesoro which I want to I'll probably get a vaquero. Thank you for the advice.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information but I can get a outlaw for 395 I don't even have that kind of money but at most that's all I could remotely afford lol hence I was thinking about the outlaw and I already have 3 coils for my silver. Best in trash is the shadow 7 inch don't need anything smaller than that lol I love my 10x12 though. Another reason I was thinking about the outlaw. But thank you for the information and I've heard the f70 and f75 are intense depth demon machines lol.

I have an F70. You'll love it or hate it. It's hard to get use to running it at 50 or 60%.

It's my assumption when people discovered how hot the F70 was, they went back and had to add the new "boost" stuff to the old F75/T2 models.

If you get a F75/T2, make sure it's the newer hotter one.

Good luck, all detectors have good and bad points, the F70 can drive you mad resweeping all the time if it's too hot chattering on you.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I have read on the F70 steve1357 is right on, it is a love or hate detector. Dealing with the EMI sounds as if it can be real challenging, but the guys that have figured it out do real well. It seems to be the right combination of threshold and sensitivity settings. The Vaquero is a deep one too, but it is not without it's faults. Turning the disc up will cost you depth. It also seems that Tesoro sells some hot ones and some cold ones. The Vaq does seem to be way less EMI prone though. The Xterra's seem to be good detectors, but like the M6, don't be seem to be depth demons. I have come to the realization that there is no perfect detector. It just seems to be a matter of finding the one that works well for you and learning it good.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more thing- I will say that up to it's depth limit, the Silver uMax is one heck of a great detector!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Tejon and Vaquereo. I walked into a pawnshop once to buy a guitar and saw a used Silver uMAX hanging there. It was almost new and it was cheap. It was like an adoption. I couldnt leave a Tesoro hanging in that shop so i bought it thinking I'd give it to a family member or friend. Wow was I shocked after using it one day when the Tejon was in a bad mood and wouldnt perform right. I love my Silver UMax and I'm not giving it to anyone ! Well I might let wifey use it some. I'm not certain you will gain much but you will have more pods and knobs to monkey with. You might gain a couple of inches but go for it anyway !

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay Atomic man here we go! Based on the start of the thread he asked if it was worth upgrading to an Outlaw for a depth gain. I feel the answer is no and have been told by several Outlaw users there is not much if any depth gain over the Silver. Now if the user is gonna stick with Tesoro and wants more depth, that leaves the Vaq. and Tejon. That is how I can recommend a Vaq, because the Vaq is deeper than his Silver. You will note that I did recommend other deeper detectors.

Come on Scott, you seem like a decent guy, but at some point in life you get over your hatred for the Vaq. and move on. Maybe it's time.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay Atomic man here we go! Based on the start of the thread he asked if it was worth upgrading to an Outlaw for a depth gain. I feel the answer is no and have been told by several Outlaw users there is not much if any depth gain over the Silver. Now if the user is gonna stick with Tesoro and wants more depth, that leaves the Vaq. and Tejon. That is how I can recommend a Vaq, because the Vaq is deeper than his Silver. You will note that I did recommend other deeper detectors.

Come on Scott, you seem like a decent guy, but at some point in life you get over your hatred for the Vaq. and move on. Maybe it's time.

Ok you know its deeper from some depth test video on youtube or actually hunting? Believe me, they don't all get the same depth in ground as they do in the vids, Ive seen them all! This has nothing to do with being a 'Tesoro hater'! I thought the same thing when I got my Compadre. It was so great I moved up the the Vaquero. I realized the Vaquero was a completely different animal and very frustrating. Unless you have dealt with one, you really don't know enough to recommend one and to me that's irresponsible. I, and many others have purchased Vaquero's due to a recommendation, only to be highly dissapointed and pissed off at the guy (you know who you are) who recommended them. If you have experience with the Silver, by all means recommend it! Dont get people pissed at you for recommending a machine you never used, just because you love Tesoro so much.

Last edited:

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
alright i have a question for any outlaw users... i have a silver umax with a 12X10 concentric coil. i ABSOLUTELY LOVE that combo. however i am curious if an outlaw would be worth the money to upgrade to.

in my area silver is pretty deep dug two big silver 41 and 42 walker halfs recently and they were down 6 on one and 8 inches on the other and it was just a faint whisper on the 8. old silver im assuming is in the 8-10+ inch range and my umax can get 7-8 max just shy of what im assuming old silver is at. is the outlaw deep enough to warrant me spending 400 on it in all honesty? im just going to get the one coil package simply because i already have a 12X10 coil lol. thank you for any responses!

I bought an Outlaw and did not see the difference in depth that I had anticipated so I sold it,found out that u need to keep the grd bal adj good at all times or else it would snap or chatter some as most Tesoro's are like that as my Vaquero was like that. You need to hold out for the new ones coming out this year,they might just be killers.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Any detector is only as good as the time spent learning it....

The Vaq is a KILLER machine once it is learned.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure hunting with a Tesoro just became more versatile than ever. The Outlaw is an all-terrain multi-coil phenomenon which is available with a single 8" coil, or with a three coil bundle. With its 3 coil bundle package (5.75”, 8”, 12”x10”), the Outlaw allows all the tools of the trade to be at the ready for any environmental experience. Built on the tough as nails technology you’ve come to expect from Tesoro, the Outlaw has its roots firmly set in the Bandido Series of metal detectors. This family of detectors also gives the user the return of the True No-Motion retune that allows for precision pinpointing. The 3 ¾ turn ground balance also allows the “Quick Swap” technique with it’s 3 search coils.

• MicroMAX Design
  • Low Noise Circuitry
  • 3 Searchcoil Pack
  • VLF 10.6 kHz Frequency
  • One Drop-in 9 volt Battery
  • Silent Search Discriminate Mode

• No-Motion All Metal Mode
  • Motion All Metal Mode
  • 3-Piece Knockdown Pole
  • Interchangeable Coils w/quick change lower poles
  • Lifetime Warranty

[TH="colspan: 2"]FEATURES [/TH]

SPECIFICATIONS
Operating Frequency 10.6 kHz
Searchcoil 5.75" Concentric
Searchcoil 8" Round Open Center Concentric
Searchcoil 12" x 10" Spoked Wide Scan
Searchcoil Family Epsilon
Cable Length Approx. 3'
Audio Frequency Approx. 630 Hz
Audio Output 36mm (approx) 1 ½" speaker and headphone jack
Headphone Compatibility ¼" stereo plug
Weight (may vary slightly) 2.2 lbs
Battery Requirement One 9 volt DC (alkaline)
Battery Life (typical) 10 to 20 hours
Optimum Temp. Range 30° to 100° F
Optimum Humidity 0 to 75% R.H.
Operating Modes Silent Search Discriminate
Threshold Based No Motion All Metal
Threshold Based Motion All Metal
Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PostalTwo - I bought my Outlaw in October 2012 after reading about it, talking with Rusty from Tesoro and getting some advice from some other folks here - Terry and Sandman in particular. I read a lot, talked to dealers, and compared everything in my budget.

I love the Outlaw. Having the three coils makes it even better that I expected when I first started out with It. Imagine going to a spot and doing well with a large 12"x10" coil covering a lot of ground quickly but then being able to swap out with a smaller coil to get in tight spots. Oh and swapping out takes maybe minute. Plus the Outlaw is light too. I can swing it for hours with no problem.

True it doesn't have a VDI and it's a single tone machine. If you want that or need that then the Outlaw won't be an option for you. What drove my decision to get an Outlaw? Beyond it's performance specs and MY preference for technology that is functionally driven rather that feature driven - it would be the lifetime warranty, the versatility of the machine given the three coils, and it being American made.

I have no complaints about its depth, it's ability to discriminate or being able to ground balance. Would I try other machines? Sure. Any manufacturer, dealer or individual that wants to give me a machine to use and compare with the Outlaw I would be happy to that. That being said I don't expect to have anyone banging down my door to do that any time soon. :)

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
PostalTwo - I bought my Outlaw in October 2012 after reading about it, talking with Rusty from Tesoro and getting some advice from some other folks here - Terry and Sandman in particular. I read a lot, talked to dealers, and compared everything in my budget.

I love the Outlaw. Having the three coils makes it even better that I expected when I first started out with It. Imagine going to a spot and doing well with a large 12"x10" coil covering a lot of ground quickly but then being able to swap out with a smaller coil to get in tight spots. Oh and swapping out takes maybe minute. Plus the Outlaw is light too. I can swing it for hours with no problem.

True it doesn't have a VDI and it's a single tone machine. If you want that or need that then the Outlaw won't be an option for you. What drove my decision to get an Outlaw? Beyond it's performance specs and MY preference for technology that is functionally driven rather that feature driven - it would be the lifetime warranty, the versatility of the machine given the three coils, and it being American made.

I have no complaints about its depth, it's ability to discriminate or being able to ground balance. Would I try other machines? Sure. Any manufacturer, dealer or individual that wants to give me a machine to use and compare with the Outlaw I would be happy to that. That being said I don't expect to have anyone banging down my door to do that any time soon. :)

thanks for ur input its much appreciated the outlaw is one of those machines i seriously considering to add to my arsinal i dont need vid i have that allready with my other machine. mostly what im looking for is a machine that can handle the nails and still find me coins. Depth isnt a huge factor for me as most stuff is fairly shallow but i would like to have 8" at least

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah what jfeeney said, I love my Outlaw!!!!

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I bought one and did not see any more depth than the other models. The Tejon seems to be the deepest or the cabola/vaquero series of H.O.T. models. In my ground here in the Midwest (SW MO) the ground is about a 8 out of 10,10 being the hottest. That being said the depth difference was the same. Only thing I liked was the non motion feature and the grn bal had to be twicked every 10-12 ft in yards due to fill in dirt in school yards and other places as we have a lot of coal clinkers etc.Sold mine and am waiting on the new ones to come out SOON I hope before summer and gets too hot to detect.I did like the 3 heads with the machine as it makes it very versatile. rwd mo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread