Help with threshold on new-to-me Tejon?

lostbaja

Apr 14, 2014
Decatur, AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax + Tesoro Bandido II uMax + Tesoro Vaquero + Tesoro Deleon + BH Tracker IV housed in a Pop Tart box
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have been detecting with a Silver Umax for about 3 years and recently got myself a nice used Tejon. I love the machine, and it seems to do great other than the function of the threshold in all metal mode. If I understand correctly, I should be able to ground balance the machine by putting it in "All Metal" and then set a low steady threshold hum with the coil 8 in or so from the ground, and then scan the ground while maintaining that steady hum until a target gives a signal. Right?

Heres my story:
In my area we have mostly red clay or heavily iron-ized soil (North AL devil soil:BangHead:)

I can hold the coil 8 inches or so off the ground and get a steady threshold hum and pump the coil to ground balance. No problem starting with it negative and turning the dial positive till it is balanced. But then as I sweep the coil over the ground, the hum dies off and then comes back at the end of my swing (yes the coil is still parallel to the ground). And if I stop and hold it in one spot, it will either get really loud or go away. The threshold just wont stay audible or even if that makes sense.

Is the dirt causing all of this or am I missing the point or doing something wrong? Any tips? Is this perfectly normal?

The machine is in great shape and I have no reason to believe it has been abused.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks for looking. :notworthy:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been detecting with a Silver Umax for about 3 years and recently got myself a nice used Tejon. I love the machine, and it seems to do great other than the function of the threshold in all metal mode. If I understand correctly, I should be able to ground balance the machine by putting it in "All Metal" and then set a low steady threshold hum with the coil 8 in or so from the ground, and then scan the ground while maintaining that steady hum until a target gives a signal. Right? Heres my story: In my area we have mostly red clay or heavily iron-ized soil (North AL devil soil:BangHead:) I can hold the coil 8 inches or so off the ground and get a steady threshold hum and pump the coil to ground balance. No problem starting with it negative and turning the dial positive till it is balanced. But then as I sweep the coil over the ground, the hum dies off and then comes back at the end of my swing (yes the coil is still parallel to the ground). And if I stop and hold it in one spot, it will either get really loud or go away. The threshold just wont stay audible or even if that makes sense. Is the dirt causing all of this or am I missing the point or doing something wrong? Any tips? Is this perfectly normal? The machine is in great shape and I have no reason to believe it has been abused. I appreciate any advice. Thanks for looking. :notworthy:
Try pulling toggle to PP mode while doing GB. This is fast retune if I remember correctly (tip came from factory tech, but it's been a while since I owned one). The Tejon was a little different than the Vaq to GB. That sounds like highly conductive soil and may be very difficult to use a VLF in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lostbaja

lostbaja

Apr 14, 2014
Decatur, AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax + Tesoro Bandido II uMax + Tesoro Vaquero + Tesoro Deleon + BH Tracker IV housed in a Pop Tart box
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. I have tried it both ways to GB, by using the toggle and by setting it in all metal with the knob. Doesn't seem to affect the threshold, but it's easier and quicker with the tioggle.

I'm beginning to think its just the dirt. I drove down the road from my usual spots and the dirt was more brown with less clay and it actually held a threshold tone. I done some testing on a buried dime in the yard earlier and at 7" it would give a signal in both all metal mode and discriminate so I'm not gonna fret over it. Thats good enough for me :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the advice!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the same issues with a tejon over here in Chattanooga. I'm not that far away from you and our soil is probably the same. I have resolved the problem. I had all the same issues as you but before tell you how I fixed it , tell what is your sensitivity set on ? Operating a Tejon is sorta like trying to drive a pro funny car dragster on the street. I dont believe tejons are for everyone but i have learned how to deal with it. I have always believed i could pick up any metal detector ever made and figure out how to run it. Not so with a Tejon. It takes a while to get the hang of it

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all have some hot ground up there for sure and very tough digging. I hunted a little north of Chattanooga and briefly around Knoxville. A CTX has a hard time getting 4-6 inches in some areas and out of auto sens at all without going haywire. The PI machines with ground balance cut through it much better for sure.

OP
OP
lostbaja

lostbaja

Apr 14, 2014
Decatur, AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've spent a lot more time with the Tejon and I've come to the conclusion that the problems I was having was due to the unusually mineralized ground I was detecting. If I run into that now, I crank the sensitivity way back and get a nice hum and do my GB then crank it back up and go at it. Very few places here where you can run it above 7 or 8 on the sens dial. This baby packs some heat!

I've been to a couple areas today and the soil looked very different than where I was when the threshold problem was going on. I had no trouble getting a threshold tone and the ground balancing was a piece of cake. The detector is fine the operator just needed to step up his game :laughing7:

On a side note, my Silver Umax will hold it's own against the Tejon in really bad ground. A dime at 5" in the yard will beep loud and clear on the Tejon at about 9 Sens, and the Umax will give a slight but consistent little blip with the Sens wide open and chattering. I'd probably miss it if I were to just stumble on it though.

Thanks again guys. Hope yall find some good stuff diggin around in the dirt!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep it packs some heat. I bought a smaller 5.75 coil. It helped. It helped me learn to run it better. The GB is not as touchy with the smaller coil. i learned the ground balance does not have to be perfect. Just close. I dont like doing that but I have tested and discovered that it is somewhat true. The ground balance does not have to be perfectly tuned every second you are hunting. it is a three and one half turn pod. turn it until you feel a slight resistance either left or right and stop , then tun back the other way 1.75 turns. that puts it right in the middle. Then tune your GB from that point. One other thing I did. I bought a Vaquereo. it has the same coil as the tejon. I switched them out and discovered that the coil was more stable on the Tejon. The coils are identical but I'm guessing that each coil may have some different personalities. I'm not saying buy another coil but if you have a local hometown detector shop , you might try some different coils. it worked for me. i will never trade the Tejon off. It has awesome features and someday I will find the civil war camp that the Tejon has been waiting for to hunt. very very deep targets. In the meantime the Vaquereo with a large 10x12 coil serves most of my needs but i know that camp is just around the corner and The Tejon will shine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread