Tesoro detectors - Im intrigued....

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christ, you all seem so damn defensive and bitter. What did you all find so offensive about my original question? Just asking you big-time pros some valid ??? about a machine I was interested in. And yeah, Tesoros web site does suck. Sorry, but I'm callin' it as I see it. They want to sell machines they need what every other manufacturer has - videos, specs, etc. I can't find one relevant video about their machines. And Adobe Distiller is FREE. Perhaps they should at least make their manuals available for download as a .pdf for off-line reading. There's another guy in here who rails about their products and I'm beginning to see why. T-net's a place I come to to escape the anger and hostility of the world and find some like minded people who enjoy t-hunting. I never expected to be attacked for asking some valid questions. Complicated? For ME? I'm a Unix security admin. Let's see what's more challenging - a one-knob metal detector or making sure web sites like Tesoro's can't be hacked into. Maybe I'll do just that and actually post some real information for potential customers.
Wow! Sad when someone wants information & they get sarcasm. Not too surprising here, though. I really like the Compadre, but I dig zincs in older areas as Indian head pennies can also hit like zincs. Coppers are not too far from zinc in conductivity, so unless I am in modern park, I will dig at least some zinc pennies. I found my fisrt IH penny a few weeks ago, never would have found it if I wasnt digging zinc signals. The Comp is lightweight, great on small gold jewelry and loves clad. That being said if you are trying to avoid a particular coin, I don't think a single tone With no ID (tone or otherwise) is a great way to go. On the compadre you either set the disc where you want and dig everything that hits, or set disc low and turn the disc knob until the target drops out. Not ideal for identifying zincs, IMO. Good luck and HH!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the biggest Tesoro critics are the ones who didn't put in the necessary time to learn them.

That's what EVERYBODY says about the machine they like when someone else doesn't. Minelab lab guys are famous for it! AT Pros guys, the same way. Whites, Tesoro or whatever. It's easy for fanboys of whatever brand to say it when quite simply some folks just don't like or prefer em.

I've owned 3 Tesoros and I still have one. I'm NOT a big fan. They perform great (with the exception on the Compadre…I'll get to that) and for the money I don't think you'll find their equal. They super light, batteries last forever, fast, good disc, deep and there there are the tones! Or should I say the tone! As in one!
I can't live with it no matter how well it performs. One tone and thumbing disc. Simply not for me no matter how good or how inexpensive it is.
If they would make a multi toned machine w/GB I'd be on it like white on rice. But I'm not going to stand over a target and listen to one tone and thumb the knob several times to get an idea of what it is. I know the response for this is dig everything that sounds good but I want an idea of what conductivity range it may be in w/o thumbing!
I use my Compadre strictly at tot lots. Then only areas where it is not affected by emi. Which unfortunately, in my area seems to be batting about .500 and I can't do anything about it w/o a sens adjustment. But in the areas it works, it works great. I just set it to between Iron and Foil and dig everything that doesn't scratch. I don't fiddle with the disc at all. I'm not willing to do that at other other sites.

My bottom line…Tesoros make great detectors that I don't care for. Until they make a multi tone machine that works (not like the Golden uFail :BangHead:)!
That said, I am STILL thinking about buying back my Outlaw I sold 2yrs ago.:laughing7:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy for fanboys of whatever brand to say it when quite simply some folks just don't like or prefer em

True, but I think it's more prevalent with Tesoros, only because of the fact that that single tone, loaded with nuances, takes time to learn. And that's all you have. On a TID machine you could say "I dig everything higher than 80". Not a lot of learning happening there, and the audio becomes an after thought. You can be successful a lot quicker. Of course, I'm painting with a broad brush here, and realistically, the guys who know what they're doing don't operate that way (at least I don't think so).

I think with time, you learn not to thumb the disc. I seldom do that on my Vaquero. I can hear the difference between a coin and a pull-tab, but that didn't happen overnight. It took time.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am interested in hearing your review of and experiences with the Compadre. I bought a Tesoro Outlaw as my first real machine so it's become second nature to discriminate out junk by turning a knob. Between the slight variations in the tones and where I've set the disc I can tell you what I'll find before digging the plug. Honestly, I would love a depth indicator but lifting the coil can let me estimate that so I've learned a work around. I've never used a TID or VID machine so I can't say how I would use them compared to how I use the Outlaw. HH with the Compadre!

As far as the Tesoro website goes... well... yeah I've seen better.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A, I don't care how good or bad their website is or isn't, I don't hunt with the web, but I do hunt with several different machines with screens and without and I think the Tesoros are great for what they are, how they do things the way they do it and give me great fun while using them.
If you need something from these guys, info, advice repair stuff or whatever, just call them on the phone like the old days and someone helpful will usually answer.

B, Some people like certain kinds of tools or brands, some absolutely hate those same tools...such is life in the big city.
I would never knock someone that doesn't get along with Tesoro units or any brand for that matter, there are just too many different kinds of people in this world and the exact same thing goes on in just about every product category out there.
Kind of a Ford or Chevy thing, or maybe different strokes for different folks would be another way of saying it.
It sure could be that some never did give Tesoros the time needed to understand them like others have, but many did put in some pretty good amount of time trying to learn them, (and others), and just never clicked with them for whatever reason and this is a very normal thing that can be applied to all brands.
I myself would never enjoy swinging a few units that are extremely popular and well loved by others, even if they found me a ton I am in this for the fun and pleasure and using tools that give me the most pleasure as I use them is a big part of what I chose to swing.
I know me, I also would not be happy using absolutely everything out there, even the high end stuff.

C, Silverfinger, if you are looking for a unit that can give you a big clue about swinging over zincolns in my opinion you made a good choice, a great choice...if yours works anything like my 7" coil model.

You can set the disc where you want and dig all that beeps above it, you can thumb that knob up to the fade out point to get an idea what kind of target you are scanning like all the manuals say, including that one page wonder they include with the Compadre, but I have a different way that seems to work well for me that dirtynails alluded to and you might want to try it sometime.

I have written about this theory a few times so I will just paste one of them here...

I have also done a lot of experimentation discovered something.
On every target I come across, and I mean every one, I got in the habit long ago of NOT just turning that disc knob up till the signal fades out to see what area the knob is pointing to figure out target types like all the manuals say, but I always turn all the way past the area till the target fades out completely and then slowly turning down the knob to the point where the target comes in .
Except high tone targets like quarters that don't disc out, of course.
After several zillion targets acquired and dug I am convinced this is a much more accurate way to figure out just about every target.
I get so much more information out of not only seeing where that disc knob ends up when the signal is solid and full, but more importantly I get even more info when I hear precisely HOW that target comes in.
I noticed that and most good targets like coins, definitely on others like rings that are full and not broken, and surprisingly on most chains too, when I turn down that knob most good targets will just "come in"...solid and full...there is very little crackling or fuzzyness in that signal most of the time, not even one or two clicks.
Trash on the other hand usually does have much more crackling and clicks in that signal before it firms up and I assume this is because most detectors are designed to home in on solid round objects like coins and not irregular shapes like trash or objects with holes like tabs.
Now this is not true 100% of the time because the universe and life just doesn't work this way for us in this hobby.
There are some trash targets that do act like good coin targets and will come in full and solid and with no clicks.
Some beaver tail tabs with that tail folded over, foil that is thick like a coin, compressed and formed into a round coin shape, some small coin shaped pieces of can slaw and even a few sta-tabs do fool me me from time to time because there is virtually no difference between some of these and a real coin signal.
If those kind of targets are laying completely horizontal and flat in the ground this can compound this problem, but luckily most trash is not horizontal but turned slightly on edge to almost vertical, in my experience, and react accordingly with much crackling and clicks.
Conversely, sometimes good targets like coins do act weird and have some fuzzyness and at least a few clicks before solidifying, too.
I noticed this happen on a just few zinc pennies and sometimes nickels can be totally weird, sometimes.

Ok back.
I know I mentioned a few iffy signals on zincolns but 99.9% of the time the way I can use this tool to sense these is one of my favorite things about using my Compadre...and it works on my Vaquero, too.

Lots of users really seem to want to calibrate to nickels, they will take a little screwdriver and set that disc knob right on the nickel mark as a fade out point while swingin over one if it didn't come out of the factory that way.
For me out of all coins nickels have been the weirdest so I never saw the sense in doing that for myself.
I dig nickels that fade out, or actually come in at that mark a lot, but I also dig many that come in below and even some that come in high.
What I am really interested in calibrating to is zinc cents because I come across so many of these things out there, and by the way I am the kind of guy that digs every one of them too for several reasons.
On my Compadre when I dial up past the fade out point and then back down if the signal comes in clear and strong with a sharp end and no noise I usually dig up a zincoln...IF the disc knob is pointed exactly at the 3:00 area when I hear these things in this way.
This method has been so precise and almost foolproof for me that on the few times I am fooled, and that does not seem to happen much, I am actually surprised.
Most trash will come in a bit more iffy than that particular coin, irregular shaped stuff like can slaw usually does and that kind of trash might also have a kind of tinny sound to it too.
You might be able to sense that there are a lot of little things to learn about sound on these things, beep and dig is NOT what these things are really all about in my opinion, but you will learn these things with some practice and it is fun learning along the way.

There is one problem with listening for zinc cents this way in order to avoid them, there is one particular type of target that usually will also come in solid and clear at that 3:00 area, act like a zinc cent and might fool you and that is a big ole' piece of gold like a large men's class ring.
I would hate for you to miss one of these avoiding those zincolns but there is good news on this front.
All the small gold I have found with my Tesoros have all been those clear, solid sharp signals like coins no matter where they have been in the disc range from low end on up, and they all came in clean and sounded good but I never knew they were gold till I dug them and I only dug them because they came in this way and solid.
Some say they can tell they are swinging over these smaller gold targets but as yet that is something I can't do.
On the big stuff, however, things are quite different.
Ahhh...that is a sound that is so clear and solid and rings so true and long like the most perfect bell tone you have ever heard that if you come across a signal like this you should notice, or at least you will eventually be able to tell the difference after listening to a large amount of zincoln signals.

This particular sound is my holy grail, I have heard it a few times and it is so addicting that I long to hear it again every time I go out with a Tesoro, and on the few times I have heard it that sound actually rocked me back on my heals a bit.

Otherwise you should be good to go, and also keep in mind that the Compadre with its true 180 degree ED, sharp disc abilities and throwback circuitry that is not the high gain-low noise that most modern detectors now use also happens to be very good around iron.
Many great hunters, and I mean the really top notch sucessful types that use high end units like E Tracs and CTX's and others, also pull out a Compadre from time to time and go back over those hard hit fields and other iron infested sites and still find some goodies that they themselves or others might have missed.
At first they might have been surprised, after awhile they just become used to the fact that something so inexpensive can do such remarkable things and just look at the Compadre as another tool in the arsenal...a tool that they are glad they have.

Have fun when you get yours and as you learn it, trust me it is not like you will have much choice in the matter if you are anything like me.

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro, the Enigma!
Do you like chocolate or vanilla?
Hey don't knock it till you try it!
" Can't we just all get along? " RK.
I can predict, that IF TESORO were to cease as a company that we would all suffer and our Tesoro's would become collector's items right along side of the treasures we all seek!
LONG LIVE TESORO!!!
Peace and sorry for all the ATTITUDE.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love a depth indicator but lifting the coil can let me estimate that so I've learned a work around.

Depth for me with no display is easy. If the ProPointer can see it before I dig, it's shallow. If the ProPointer can't see it before I dig, it's deep.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learning first on a Tesoro helped me when I went to an ID machine... I am thinking it is hard to go the other way...I have heard it called a long learning curve for the minelabs Quattro/safari...not so if you trust your ears, My Quattro gets its readout info from conductivity and a lot is gained by listening to conductive sound...but the most is gained by listening to ferrous sound as sounds that don't match what you should be hearing for the conductive generated ID are junk! When ever I go back over areas with tesoros I find treasure I missed and visa versa... I am not brand loyal, but my third Tesoro, the Tejon will arrive tomorrow...

Last edited:

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth for me with no display is easy. If the ProPointer can see it before I dig, it's shallow. If the ProPointer can't see it before I dig, it's deep.

I also do that with my ProPointer. After I've already lifted up my coil to get an idea where it's at.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You're exactly right! I find I don't need a more specific depth than this.

The Pro-Pointer tells me if it's a half inch deep or less (strong, solid signal),
or 1-2 inches deep (weaker, broken beeping signal), or over 2 inches deep
(no signal). That tells me what kind of plug I need to dig.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
For all the high spirited posters here, don't you realize that in Terry's initial post he was being humorous, and was in fact praising the Tesoro? It was taken wrong, and that threw this thread askew. If you take offense, read the post again, and then take a look at the machines the poster of the suspect thread uses. Terry is a Tesoro Cult Member by golly. Alas, there is no humor in Gotham.....

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my original post was READ sarcastically. I see nothing sarcastic about it and had no intention of being sarcastic. Some people must be reaaalllly touchy.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bottom line…Tesoros make great detectors that I don't care for. Until they make a multi tone machine that works (not like the Golden uFail :BangHead:)!
That said, I am STILL thinking about buying back my Outlaw I sold 2yrs ago.:laughing7:

They make a couple. The Cortes comes to mind. And it has the pretty little TID for those who must insist upon it.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my original post was READ sarcastically. I see nothing sarcastic about it and had no intention of being sarcastic. Some people must be reaaalllly touchy.

If you go to a members profile, you can read all posts by a member. This can be very revealing!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasn't going to jump into this until I ran into the various comments on avoiding ZINC cents. Several years ago I began passing over zinc cents as so many of them are just corroded crap. Then I read a post where someone pointed out that some small jewelry will id as zincs. I went back to digging zincs and the second one I dug turned out to be a small, black hills, gold ring. As much as i hate'em, I generall dig them now because like all signals, you never know until the target is in hand. BTW, I've marked where zincs drop out on several beep and dig Tesoros and I can accurately separate them from copper pennies by thumbing the disc knob - works as well as the tid on several other machines I use.
luvsdux

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't there a story last year of a newbie finding a $5 gold piece because everyone else was passing it by as a penny, or it was right by where a group started detecting from that day?

Can't find the story, I think it was on one of the manufacturer sites.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last time, no where in my initial post did I have an attitude. I just call it like I see it. Tesoro's web site NEEDS WORK for those researching their products. It's a reality. I HAVE no attitude. I have fun here, I don't have attitude here. I even thought of offering them my services. Its what I DO. At least, I source people who have a knack for design and content. If they have great products, and I don't doubt that they DO, they need a great web site. In 2014, most companies very success relies on their web site. Tell ya what, go to their site Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. and click on "How To Become a Dealer & Distributor Information" link. Not working is it? Well, I'm interested in becoming one. How do I get the information? No need to get defensive just look at them objectively and remove the emotion. I hope I do fall for this little Compadre as when I like a product I am passionate about them. Feel better if I told you my buddy in Tucson bought the 8" one for an entry level gold prospector? I'm already selling the damn things. Now if only I could find that dealer information....

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks atomicscott... And I've found a few wheats that hit on stinkin' zincolns come to thinkin' too.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks atomicscott... And I've found a few wheats that hit on stinkin' zincolns come to thinkin' too.

For awhile I wasn't digging zincs, but now I try to dig as many as possible. The Compadre is a fun detector for beginners as well as advanced detectorists. You will like it! HH and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions