SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro detectors - I'm intrigued....

I'm Thinking of getting a little Compadre for a third 'buddy' detector. The price sure is right. I've never owned a Tesoro as the industry is all TID and the only TID Tesoro's are the DeLeon and Cortes. A little out of my budget for a third machine.

My NEMESIS is not pulltabs, foil or bottle caps. My nemesis is the lowly zinc cent. I'd literally rather dig pulltabs as you have a chance of gold and lets face it, the old beaver tails are pretty vintage. But time spent on every stinkin' zincoln I dig is time I could be spending searching better things. The zinc cents I might accidentally dig with my other machines end up in my trash pocket. Total. Rusty. Crusty. JUNK only fit for the garbage dump.

Can someone tell me what differentiates Tesoro's discrimination from the rest of the industry? How can a MD company stay afloat when the industry is mostly TID type detectors and even at the low-end, seem to work pretty well in helping you determine if the target is worth digging and avoid 100% 'beep and dig'.

My question is how much depth loss is there if you use the graduated discrimination to knock out zinc cents on any of the Tesoros except the DeLeon and Cortes? Is there another technique you use in place of a TID?

Waiting patiently for a Tesoro users reply....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don’t want a Tesoro. You’ll just become enamored by the light weight and simplicity, incredible depth even when maxing out discrimination, and the unbelievable pinpointing capability. Seriously, just stay with your heavy Whites machines and their cute little TID screens.

You’re welcome. :occasion14:

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, thanks for the friendly, helpful and informative response! Are all you Tesoro users cut from the same cloth? If you notice in my equipment list, I've had Fishers, Teks and Whites. Wondering if I would've got the same response if I inquired about them. I'm not that brand loyal, but apparently Tesoro users are. I had a valid question.

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro user's loyal? Nope, but I just can't wait to see the new new Cazador!!!!!!!!!! Hurry Hurry Tesoro! Ive got the cash!!! And want another HIGH QUALITY TESORO! Ok I guess CULT like is a better term!
Peace.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, ya don't have to 'splain cult followers, I'm a Mac user man. Difference is, I'd share my wisdom to those who ask....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep dig, beep dig ,beep dig ,beep dig.......... It's a zen thing.
TDI ? We don't need no stinking TDI? Pongo just pawn in the game of beep and dig.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, thanks for the friendly, helpful and informative response! Are all you Tesoro users cut from the same cloth? If you notice in my equipment list, I've had Fishers, Teks and Whites. Wondering if I would've got the same response if I inquired about them. I'm not that brand loyal, but apparently Tesoro users are. I had a valid question. Guess I really don't want a Tesoro now as I wouldn't fit into the 'scene' anyway. I wouldn't have had to post a question here if Tesoro's web site wasn't designed during the Clinton administration. As for my heavy White's machine with the cute TID, you can keep your beep 'n diggers, I'll keep my knees and back.

Or you could download the User Manual for the Compadre from that Tesoro website that
you seem to detest. Then, with a little reading, you'd see how the discrimination works
on the Compadre, and how you can use your thumb to figure out what's in the ground
before you dig.

It's really not difficult. If you don't want to dig zinc pennies, you can just set Disc to
a point just above zinc pennies, and you won't hear them. You'll hear signals for copper
pennies, clad dimes and quarters, and silver. You won't hear gold or platinum.

If you want gold and platinum, set Disc to just below nickels. When you hear a signal,
thumb the Disc dial upward to see if the signal goes away when Disc is at zinc. If so,
it's a zinc penny (most likely). If it goes away sooner than that, it's a nickel or gold or
platinum (or a pull tab).

If this is too complicated, you're right. You don't want a Tesoro detector.
If your buddy can follow this, a Compadre might be a really good choice.

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
I don't know why you are getting nutty replies. For the price you can't get better than the compadre. It is super fun and fast. I'm sure you read a little on them but here is a little that I learned.

There is more to the beep than just a beep. You will only know what I mean as you learn it. If all you want is coins set it above zinc and dig everything that doesn't seem too big ex. Beer can.

I would get the 5.75 coil unless you already have other detectors with small sniper coils. The small 5.75" coil is great for trashy parks and tot lots. It's is so light and fast and perfect for others how are new to use. It fits nicely into a suitcase too.

Don't let these guys sway your decision. You were "intrigued" for good reason.

There are a bunch more reasons to own one too. Trust me you won't regret it.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christ, you all seem so damn defensive and bitter. What did you all find so offensive about my original question? Just asking you big-time pros some valid ??? about a machine I was interested in. T-net's a place I come to to escape the anger and hostility of the world and find some like minded people who enjoy t-hunting. I never expected to be attacked for asking some valid questions. Complicated? For ME? I'm a Unix security admin. Let's see what's more challenging - a one-knob metal detector or making sure web sites like Tesoro's can't be hacked into.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dirtynails. Now really, what was so hard about a reply like yours?

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There. Just ordered a Compadre 5.75. Should be here by 5/5. Does that mean I can join the ranks of the elitist beep 'n diggers now, or does the modest price keep me out of the club? Looks like a fun little machine. Can't wait to hit some spots I've gone over with my heavy White's with the cute TID screen. I've already got the itch to add the sensitivity mod. I'll keep you posted...

mike crash

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
My first detector. Bought. Two months ago. My choice was a vaquero. A little on the upper end of my budget . But well worth it. I love it!!! All the youtube vids/warranty/features/ opinions Good and bad. I was looking for a quality. All around machine. That was solid in just about all areas you can think off . So I can't say I miss a vid md. But certainly don't need one. I can do all w my V. Besides all the vid md. Are not aways correct /not 100% accurate . I've dug my first gold ring and gold chain w crusifix just this past week!!!! What a surprise to me!! Not to mention all the coins. Crazy. I don't know off any vid md. That can tell me exactly what's in the hole before I actually dig it . Admit ally I may get a vid md. In the future. And it will probably be a Tesoro Quality/solid/ dependable. Md

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sense a lot of sarcasm in the responses you got. Don't be dissuaded about buying a Tesoro because of what you've read here. The thing about Tesoro is that you will learn to listen, you will learn to interpret what you are hearing and learn skills that will make you more effective even when swinging other machines. You will learn that it isn't just the beep that has meaning, but how the machine delivers that beep that is key to being successful. People criticize Tesoro for being "beep and dig" but that is a gross understatement. Tesoros let your brain be the processor so it's really a "beep, think and dig" machine. While others stand there for 5 minutes scanning a target and pushing buttons to tweak their machine in order to make a decision on whether or not to dig, you will already have dug your target, pocketed it and moved on. True, in the beginning you will dig more trash, but once you learn your machine the junk will be minimal. I dug over 150 coins last week and the trash could be held in one hand.

Go for it, you will be amazed.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say that good TID's really do an excellent job, once you get confident with them for the most part. If the VDI on my machine shows a consistent high 70's to 80's, it's worth digging. Again, if I'm in doubt, I dig it out. I am 100% on zincs at 57-64, but again, when in doubt, dig it out. My interest was what makes a Tesoro intriguing is people don't seem to mind. White's has the lock on auto-trac circuitry, so I wondered if maybe Tesoro has some kind of special whiz-bang they do to allow for graduated discrim without loosing depth, so Tesoro users don't mind not having the TID. Also, my backup machine is a Tek Delta 4000 - still too complicated for a buddy machine for friends, family with zero MD'ing experience. I figure I can turn on the Compadre, set the disc high and tell em if it beeps, dig it. Are you digging more coins because you're digging more holes or are these little machines -that- good at separating trash from the good targets? Guess I'll find out. If the little Compadre produces more silver at places I've thought I've hunted out, I'll part with my MX5 as a main machine and look at a DeLeon or Cortez.

Last edited:

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a chance to use a compadre for about four hours a couple weeks ago, in my opinion its a tough little machine, great target seperation and pretty deep compared to other detectors in that price group. found it more effective to use than my fisher f2 with a TID. The dang thing dosn't weigh a thing so thats nice on longer hunts. It takes awhile to get used to listening to what the machine is trying to tell you vs. just looking at a display, but once used to it you do dig less junk as long as you tell the machine to not alert on it. I liked it and for the price a you get tesoros lifetime warranty "I think i never bought one yet" and a light machine that is very solidly built. I would have bought one for a back up untill my fisher ended up being my back up.

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
See, there are normal tesoro users too. If you want to read about the compadre search on here for digger27. Unbiased and very smart with this machine. I want to try his way of checking a target by turning the disc down to see how the "beep" comes back instead of turning disc up to see where it falls off.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SilverFinger, In my opinion you got some sarcastic replies because your initial post seemed a little sarcastic. The first time I read it, that was my initial impression.. Since, I have reread it and don't quite see it. Anyway, we could chalk it up to everybody just having a bad day.

Go ahead and try the Compadre, but don't sell the dam MX5! If the MX5 is as good as the M6 it is a keeper. I haven't seen anyone complain about the M6. There is guy on the Whites forum by the name of Basstrackerman and he does really well with the MX5.

You will have to give the Compadre a bit of time because you are use to a VDI. Pay close attention to how clean the tone is or if it has broken audio at the beginning and the end of the tone. Coins are clean tone all the way (okay most of the time). Be sure to check your target from two directions ninety degrees apart and look for a clean sounding tone. If you get it, dig it. What I just said is true if the disc is set above tab and just short of zinc. Don't let crushed cans fool you. They are easy to tell by sizing them up. When you get a coin pinpointed and centered under the coil, wiggle left and right and listen to the tone. A coin is small and the tone will be lost real quick. With a larger target, be it large metal or a can you will get a lot more wiggle before you lose the tone. That is what I mean by sizing it up. Like all detectors the right size of can slaw and twist off tops (like on a wine cooler) that have the sides bent in will fool you sometimes.

Guys that are really good with Compadre can tell a tab from their audio. These guys turn the disc. down and suck the gold rings right out of the ground. There is another big forum that has a Tesoro forum and they have a group they call the Church of the Compadre. These guys are constantly posting gold ring finds from their low priced Compadre. They do dig a fair amount of trash, but they have lot's of gold to show for it. Give it time and learn it and you will like it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Christ, you all seem so damn defensive and bitter. What did you all find so offensive about my original question? Just asking you big-time pros some valid ??? about a machine I was interested in. And yeah, Tesoros web site does suck. Sorry, but I'm callin' it as I see it. They want to sell machines they need what every other manufacturer has - videos, specs, etc. I can't find one relevant video about their machines. And Adobe Distiller is FREE. Perhaps they should at least make their manuals available for download as a .pdf for off-line reading. There's another guy in here who rails about their products and I'm beginning to see why. T-net's a place I come to to escape the anger and hostility of the world and find some like minded people who enjoy t-hunting. I never expected to be attacked for asking some valid questions. Complicated? For ME? I'm a Unix security admin. Let's see what's more challenging - a one-knob metal detector or making sure web sites like Tesoro's can't be hacked into. Maybe I'll do just that and actually post some real information for potential customers.

Your elitist and arrogant attitude hit me the wrong way Silverfinger. Seems like you are making fun of us "big-time pros," who don't really think that "Tesoros web site does suck." Now that you have bought a Tesoro, I'll wait and see if you lose a little of that attitude

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say that good TID's really do an excellent job, once you get confident with them for the most part.

I think the biggest Tesoro critics are the ones who didn't put in the necessary time to learn them. They are willing to spend time learning a TID machine, but when it comes to a Tesoro, they think it should be automatic. Spend the time with your new Compadre. Don't dismiss it because you dig some trash in the beginning. You need to dig it all to start so that you can learn to interpret what you are hearing, and how you are hearing it.

I just bought a mint Tejon off of a fellow that used it once, and didn't give it a fair chance. He has a Minelab now, but he's willing to give that a fair shake. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions