Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the SS out for a spin and was very pleased. It is well balanced with the box mounted under the arm and was very easy to swing in the SALT water. The 8" coil helps keep the weight down and the coverage is not bad , you just swing it a little slower and make sure you overlap. The machine is fairly sensitive , I was able to pick out a very small piece of mystery metal at about 6 to 8" in dry sand.
I really wanted to see how well it would work in the So Cal black sand so I picked a small beach the has quiet a bit of the stuff. The beach is not really a beach for laying and playing so I did not expect to find anything of value. I did find two pennies one right at the water line and the other in the water, both were located at about 8".
The best part is the ability to walk from the dry stuff right into the wet salty stuff without the machine going nuts, its really cool!!!! So overall Im very pleased with ANOTHER QUALITY TESORO, and SHAME on you TESORO HATERS you know who you are , the " IM A EXPERT AND COULD NEVER BE SEEN WITH SOMETHING UNDER A $1000.00 " ok MR Thurston Howell the 3rd.
If your looking for a GOOD beach machine at a very GOOD price then look no further than the Tesoro Sand Shark.
Peace and HH.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Took the SS out for a spin and was very pleased.
If your looking for a GOOD beach machine at a very GOOD price then look no further than the Tesoro Sand Shark.

Congratulations on your new Sand Shark. It took me 40 years to upgrade my detector, and after researching every machine on the market, I finally settled on the Sand Shark. And I couldn't be happier.

One piece of advice - invest in a really sturdy sand scoop, because the one you have been using for dry sand will not last long when you start digging 12" holes in wet sand (and you will be digging a lot of them). I had a homemade pvc scoop that worked fine in the dry sand, but had to get a stainless steel one after I started digging wet sand.

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note , STAY AWAY FROM EMI sources !!!! DAM WIFI!!!!!! And other stuff from BIG hotel or something else.
Now I just need to find a nice quite beach !!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually take my Sand Shark and ATPRO to the beaches. The ATPRO for the dry sand and the Sand Shark for the salt water. Love 'em both!

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So the weather in sunny So Cal has improved. During the past few months the temps have been in the mid to upper 70s which kept most people bundled in front of the telly :) Now that winter has moved on and people are flocking to the local beaches , I find my self working them a lot more. Getting close to the wet sand is causing all kinds of problems for the MDs.

So which of the Sharks is a better machine for salty sand and water? The Tiger or the Sand ? Can either be repurposed in the dry sand just as effectively? Are there any benefits switching to a Pulse machine over a VLF machine? Dose anybody own either of these machines and whats it like living with either of these guys? Any opinions and thoughts about salt water detectors (other brands too) :dontknow:would be appreciated!
Thank you!

I have been using my SS on salt beaches in pref to my Infinium.
The SS is easier to set up and achieves plenty of depth on coins and rings in salt or fresh water.
Where iron mineralisation is very high the SS can become a bit noisy but can still find targets through the mineralisation.
I set the pulse width at the preset mark, turn the vol to max and adjust the threshold to just audible. This results in a slightly jittery threshold but sensitivity is good on the deeper coins.
if the vol is set to mid position or thereabouts the threshold will be smoother but weak signals will be not so easily heard.

The SS can become almost unusable in certain EMI conditions.

Just an opinion from my own experience with this detector

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread