Hot book on Tejon and Vaquero knocks socks off ATPs

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot book on Tejon and Vaquero knocks socks off ATP's

I thought I knew my Tejon inside and out but this book explains how to find the 14" and more coins and why these two Tesoro detectors excel. Explains disc, sens. ground balance and more. Also tells about the Outlaw and Cibola models.
Amazon.com: Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors eBook: C. Thorsten: Kindle Store

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent book for Tesoro users, but includes insights a tips that any detector swinger can appreciate.
luvsdux

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I thought the book was very useful. It inspired me to pick up another Tejon.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, after reading this I decided on the Tejon instead of the F70, and from what I have read, I think the F70 is one hot detector.

mike crash

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
Purchased a vaquero two months ago . My first detector . Been following /reading all these posts ect. Went and got kindle app for I phone and purchased the book. The insight and info. helped me to really appreciate my knew md and it's capabilities.not to mention the quality and craftsmanship From TESORO.i don't think I'll ever need another md .i know everyone has an opinion. But I think the negative ones are far and few compared to the positive ones. From anyone who has ever used/own one of these machines. I feel I made a great choice!! Side note. ... I vote terry sol....... Tesoro poster child. Ha. Ha.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the book, and just today between showers got a couple hours in an iron site I had all but given up on... Using My new Tejon and 5.75 widescan, I ferreted out clad I Had missed... Also avoided square nails only digging two bent ones... Found a large champion spark plug that turned out to be used on 32-34 model A ford 4cyl...also more 12 shotgun shells manufactured before 1911... A very large hinge that had been attached with 5 inch spikes, Along with previous horse harness iron makes me believe an old large barn had been there! I think this area will turn up something cool, but even if it doesn't, it is a great opportunity to practice some of the ideas put forth in the book...

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went up to South Ga. to hunt a site my buddy has been hunting with his Tejon for 8 years. My AT Pro held its own......even had me going over signals double checking them for him. Bawahahahaha

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went up to South Ga. to hunt a site my buddy has been hunting with his Tejon for 8 years. My AT Pro held its own......even had me going over signals double checking them for him. Bawahahahaha
You are some buddy! You make fun of his detector and probably don't tell him about the book!:tongue3:
He probably turned you on to the site! Searching for 8 years he probably has lots of good stuff... Forget that, You are the man!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone sell a hardcover version of this book?

Your using a computer so download the Free Kindle Reading App and buy the book. Enjoy.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope this helps me. I have a Tejon and a Vaquero. I want to use the tejon but it has a cranky ground balance and stays home most of the time while the Vaquero with a big coil gets most of the civil war action. I really want to be using the Tejon so I can kick my partners butt with his T2

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this helps me. I have a Tejon and a Vaquero. I want to use the tejon but it has a cranky ground balance and stays home most of the time while the Vaquero with a big coil gets most of the civil war action. I really want to be using the Tejon so I can kick my partners butt with his T2

Let us know if the book helps. I hear the T2 is about the best thing going in rusty iron infested sites, Very interested to see if you can keep up using the Tejon. Keep us posted

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, You cant just let this out to the public....Garrett's sales are going to plummet! :laughing7:

Really thou, Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, You cant just let this out to the public....Garrett's sales are going to plummet! :laughing7:

Really thou, Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
i notice sandman owns a Tejon and an ATPro... Just sayin!:headbang:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i notice sandman owns a Tejon and an ATPro... Just sayin!:headbang:

Sandman is closet ATP lover! Well maybe closet isn't the right word as he's made several public praising post re: the ATP.

The AT Pro can be a good detector if you get one of the later ones.

The AT Pro is a nice all round detector with the ability to get it wet either from wading or just dropping it in the drink.

I love my CZ-20's and while the ATP is a good wading detector for freshwater, I would never waste my time trying to use it at a saltwater beach in the wet sand

You are going to enjoy the ATP if you have one of the latest ones made.

Re: the ATP...
Your going to have a ball with it!

I like my AT pro but use other detectors.

I like my ATP... But for the price the ATP is a nice step up from the entry level Garrett line up.

You are going to love the hobby and the AT Pro.

I am classed as a AT PRO hater and nothing could be farther from the truth.

View attachment 869919 Not my best find but a keeper with ATP. 14 kt. and haven't had it appraised yet. Female family member all have dibs on it.

I don't have an AT Gold but do have the AT PRO. I am coming around to using the AT Pro more for land and very shallow water.

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I downloaded the book last night onto an I Pad and have been carrying it around with me. Some first thoughts are ...no my Tejon's ground balance IS NOT messed up. I can be in the woods hunting C.W. and move 3 feet and the G.B. goes out of tune but apparently that is a normal characteristic of the Tejon because it is so high strung but gives me hope I will eventually master this machine. I do recognize that the Tejon and not the Vaq is the detector I want to eventually hunt with. I love its features. The Fisher 1266-X was one of the most popular civil war relic machines used around here and the Tejon is so similar but so much more advanced. The Vaquero and I have become one. When I use it , it is an extension of ME. We are one but I want more power and the features the Tejon have. One note about the " mods" in the book. Every town has " THAT GUY" that works on C.B. Radios and Ham Gear. THAT GUY can help us with some of these MODS the author mentions. I am a ham and in ham radio there is equipment that have knobs with two speeds. It would be a knob that would tune at the 3/34 turn and also ten turns all in the same knob that would contain the " coarse / fine" knob. Also the author mentions a toggle such as is on the Silver Umax. I like that ideal. Tesoro has had that feature for years on the old Bandido and ElDorado. I quit hunting for 18 years and been back only six months and i am loving all the new stuff and detectors. I need your guys help. Thank You for this thread.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...no my Tejon's ground balance IS NOT messed up. I can be in the woods hunting C.W. and move 3 feet and the G.B. goes out of tune but apparently that is a normal characteristic of the Tejon because it is so high strung but gives me hope I will eventually master this machine.

I may get me a Tejon. Wish it used less than eight AA batteries, though the printed specs say still around three pounds. I hate my Garrett with eight AA batteries, runs 4.5 pounds.

You've described the operation of my Fisher F70. You can easily crank the gain up too high and the sucker will be going off in changes in mineralization during a single sweep. The iron red clay here changes every few feet as you described, I use to find myself chasing ghost signals too often. I imagine the F70 and Tejon gets a bad wrap from people turning on discrimination and then cranking the gain wide open, more is better! Wouldn't take long for anyone to get frustrated....

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a Tejon a couple weeks ago, we don't have much of a problem with soil, so I can often run in the red zone on sens... The response on brass and lead is quite phenomenal... . I dug a horse shoe buried 8 inches and held the coil a foot off the ground and it still hit strong... I hoped it was the wood stove door that was on my buddies treasure bucket list, it certainly was a strong signal... That strong signal still fools me, a dime near the surface hits like a quarter... You think a quarter is a beer can and A brass rivet hits like a dime... A beer can hits like a Chevy bumper! Etc...:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread