Tesoros single tone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned my Vaq and Compadre for over 1 year and swung them for nearly 100 hours each, so I learned to only rely on tones, not numbers. What you said makes perfect sense. However, no amount of tweaking the knobs, power balancing, supertuning, etc.. allowed me to get more than a faint, iffy blip on a 6" dime with a Vaquero in a (fresh) test garden. I dug many of these 'blips' in the field & not one was ever a dime, or deeper coin. I wonder what's in that book that would have made any difference?
old coins, Even silver has a halo, fresh gardens don't ...
Air tests have a similar problem...my Quattro air tests rather poorly compared to other detectors, but in actual practice performs quite well! I would like it better if it had manual ground balance instead of the manual noise limiter function...that is where I am seeing improvement with the Tejon...

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not with a Mazak CNC. I have many years on both manual and CNC and any part with complex features I can produce 1st part quicker with the Mazak.
ok, I will give you that! I think you verified it with complex features...the kind of parts I made in school lacked complexity... For me the mazak was a nightmare gone bad...the simplicity of manual lathe is a work of art... It is easy to find a good used one... Many a person has gone broke buying a CNC that he cannot get parts for...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old coins, Even silver has a halo, fresh gardens don't ...
Air tests have a similar problem...my Quattro air tests rather poorly compared to other detectors, but in actual practice performs quite well! I would like it better if it had manual ground balance instead of the manual noise limiter function...that is where I am seeing improvement with the Tejon...

Yep exactly! that is why is I specified 'fresh' in the post. My other detectors would have a solid tone on same dime in the same 'fresh' test garden though, not a blip or one-way signal.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep exactly! that is why is I specified 'fresh' in the post. My other detectors would have a solid tone on same dime in the same 'fresh' test garden though, not a blip or one-way signal.

Scott, you may be ready to jump off the kool-aid wagon if you read this book!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhh, be careful Scott! It is so easy to become a Tesoro Cult Member...
just how many Tesoro Detectectors does it take to be considered for cult membership Terry? I see you own a minelab, so apparently one off brand is acceptable if it is a minelab... if I don't yet qualify, I am well on my way... Go Tesoro!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott read the book. I see a Vaq in your near future! Don't worry the guys from the Minelab forum will never read this!

Im moving forward in my hunting, not backward! Twisting knobs all day just don't do it for me anymore!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im moving forward in my hunting, not backward! Twisting knobs all day just don't do it for me anymore!
Sure we live in a digital world and think we need the latest and greatest gadget... It doesn't need to last because it will soon be replaced anyway... I am waiting to see a solar powered detector! The amount that it would add to the cost would exceed a lifetime if batteries! When I dropped my knife on the lens of my Quattro I knew I wanted no more so called high end ID machines!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure we live in a digital world and think we need the latest and greatest gadget... It doesn't need to last because it will soon be replaced anyway... I am waiting to see a solar powered detector! The amount that it would add to the cost would exceed a lifetime if batteries! When I dropped my knife on the lens of my Quattro I knew I wanted no more so called high end ID machines!

Hmmm. That sounds like it may have been user error by dropping a knife on the lens! Not many detectors would survive that one in good shape. My own mistakes would not dissuade me to buy a high end detector though. If I drop my strat, I won't buy only cheap guitars after that.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm. That sounds like it may have been user error by dropping a knife on the lens! Not many detectors would survive that one in good shape. My own mistakes would not dissuade me to buy a high end detector though. If I drop my strat, I won't buy only cheap guitars after that.
sure it would have scratched the tesoro... Much more durable without lenses to protect... I prefer the guitar that I can put a few scratches on it with a guitar pick anyway!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today trying out my new widescan in an area that I gave up hunting with the Quattro after several attempts with the 5 inch coil because of all the square nails... I didn't dig but two bent nails, found clad and some interesting iron relics to help date the site.. A large champion C4 spark plug would have been used on a model a ford 4 cyl engine... The old shotgun shells dating 1911... Still no old coins but the Tejon is the bomb for old iron infested sites! The duel tone Quattro will be relegated to wall hanger!

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure it would have scratched the tesoro... Much more durable without lenses to protect... I prefer the guitar that I can put a few scratches on it with a guitar pick anyway!
Haha! Hey im gonna scratch it up regardless, right?

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can they put 3 tones in one? Low-iron, medium-gold/nickel, and high-clad/silver. I'd order one today.

Isn't that the truth ! I did a search because I saw mention of a high toned Vaq. I thought, WOW, a two toner, finally some movement ! Then I realized what they were talking about and I drifted away again.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you could find someone in your town that works on ham radio repair , they could probably change the pitch of the tone with a diode or something. Or a variable pitch like is on the the Tejon. The tone pitch control on the Tejon is probably a standard part at a electronics store. So would be a ground balance mod as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions