TESORO COMPADRE - CONFUSED - WANTED TO PURCHASE BUT HAVE QUESTIONS!!

Kevininsc

Feb 17, 2013
Fort Mill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone - Could I please get some advice on the Compadre that I was all set to order --- that is until I saw this video that was comparing different detectors (gold bug;vista gold;tesoro vaq; and the tesoro compadre). They were testing a small gold piece at different depths to see how each responded. When they came to the Compadre (at 3:33 on the youtube video), the Compadre could not even detect it at 3 (three) inches!!! After researching this Compadre and reading all the positives, I was just about to order one from a dealer, that is, until I came across this youtube video.
Question: Is this an accurate measurement of the Compadre?? I also posted this on another site to compare responses.

An comments would be greatly appreciated, since I'm anxious to get gold/relic detecting around virgin streams/woods in my area.

Thanks in advance..

Kevin

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,
It's kinda like you get what you pay for.

If you're after gold, you need a higher frequency machine. Those other machines are much more expensive than the Compadre for reason(s).

Don't expect an entry level machine to match machines costing 2,4,6 times as much.

I think Tesoro has information about gold metal detecting on their website, Fisher does also.

Used detectors for gold still command high prices for a reason.

And no, if you're after gold, I wouldn't get a Compadre. Read about the Tesoro Lobo on the Tesoro website and why it's better for gold.

Here's some good reading from Dave Johnson about gold and why the higher frequencies and smaller coils; he's a longtime poster here. "woof!"

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/dave-johnson-essays.htm

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since it is my video, let me make something clear. The test was done with a small GOLD CHAIN. As we all know, gold chains are THE most difficult target to hit, because the detector only sees ONE LINK, not the whole chain. The Blisstool, Goldbug II, and Vaquero, are all MUCH more expensive machines running at MUCH higher frequencies. The Compadre will find gold just fine if it is a ring or coin. This was to test the ability of the Blisstool to find a CHAIN on the beach.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking to find coins and jewelry I don't see how you could go wrong with a Compadre... I recently saw a used one where the asking price was $15 less than new... If you decide to upgrade to a more expensive tesoro your ear will have already been calibrated to know when to dig...

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking to find coins and jewelry I don't see how you could go wrong with a Compadre... I recently saw a used one where the asking price was $15 less than new... If you decide to upgrade to a more expensive tesoro your ear will have already been calibrated to know when to dig...

It is my impression Kevin wants to go prospecting.

OP
OP
K

Kevininsc

Feb 17, 2013
Fort Mill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my impression Kevin wants to go prospecting.

YES I DO!!! -- BTW - the other model I was interested in was the Tesoro Outlaw, but now I see that it is only 10 kHz, but it does have a ground balance. Maybe AT-Gold???

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES I DO!!! -- BTW - the other model I was interested in was the Tesoro Outlaw, but now I see that it is only 10 kHz, but it does have a ground balance. Maybe AT-Gold???

Kevin, there's a gold forum here on Treasurenet, those people can help you a lot. No gold where I'm at.

I'm sure the major manufacturers all have good gold machines, depends on your budget.

Be sure to contact some dealers that advertise here. They can also help you a lot.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lobo is Tesoros gold detector, but the Tejon with man ground balance and 17khz freq that accepts lobo coils is a great all round detector that is very sensitive on small gold... The duel disc feature is an awesome advantage as well!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you want to use a metal detector to find gold nuggets you need a dedicated nuggetshooter like the Garrett AT Gold, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Whites GMT, Fisher Goldbug, Teknetics G2, yadda-yadda-yadda.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone - Could I please get some advice on the Compadre that I was all set to order --- that is until I saw this video that was comparing different detectors (gold bug;vista gold;tesoro vaq; and the tesoro compadre). They were testing a small gold piece at different depths to see how each responded. When they came to the Compadre (at 3:33 on the youtube video), the Compadre could not even detect it at 3 (three) inches!!! After researching this Compadre and reading all the positives, I was just about to order one from a dealer, that is, until I came across this youtube video.
Question: Is this an accurate measurement of the Compadre?? I also posted this on another site to compare responses.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRYk6rajN4

An comments would be greatly appreciated, since I'm anxious to get gold/relic detecting around virgin streams/woods in my area.

Thanks in advance..

Kevin

The Compadre is great for finding small gold JEWELRY. Natural gold nuggets are usually found in highly mineralized areas. The Compadre will suffer due to lack of ground balance adjustability. As Terry said, you need a Gold Bug, Lobo, AT Gold, X-Terra, yada yada! You can't expect a $160 macine to find natural gold nuggets. You will need to spend at least 3 times that to have even a reaaonable chance. That being said, most gold nuggets found with VLF detectors (here in Cali at least) are very small like 1/2 gram or less and found at shallow depths of less than 4". Deeper nuggets can be found but you need a PI machine for that. Prepare to spend over $1000 (Garrett Infinium?) for a PI unit. HH, Scott

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scott put it very well. The Compadre is a great, inexpensive, very capable (for the price) entry level, general purpose detector that will detect even small jewelry as well as coins etc. If you need a detector for prospecting, the Compadre, or most other general purpose detectors are not a good choice.
luvsdux

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to use a metal detector to find gold nuggets you need a dedicated nuggetshooter like the Garrett AT Gold, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Whites GMT, Fisher Goldbug, Teknetics G2, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Agree 100% I have a supertraq and original gold bug and if you want versatility go with the lobo.:icon_thumright:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dumb question from a non-prospector. If you're prospecting for gold, I would assume you are in a wilderness area with not a lot of human traffic. Why would you not want to use a PI machine, since you most likely won't be digging much garbage?

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a question not a dumb question.He's wanting to get into it so he's asing questions.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not asking questions is dumb.Ask on bro.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't nugget hunt, but listen to what Terry and AtomicScott said. You will need a dedicated detector that can handle bad ground mineralization.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't nugget hunt, but listen to what Terry and AtomicScott said. You will need a dedicated detector that can handle bad ground mineralization.

Ok, I get it. But a PI detector handles all ground conditions, does it not? The only disadvantage is the PI's unability to discriminate, but that shouldn't matter in the boonies where there is minimal trash. Am I missing something here?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I get it. But a PI detector handles all ground conditions, does it not? The only disadvantage is the PI's unability to discriminate, but that shouldn't matter in the boonies where there is minimal trash. Am I missing something here?
Believe it or not there is a lot of trash out there in the boonies,not everyone packs it back out,and where you would be looking for nuggets you have a high concentration of mineralized soil so the PI machine would sound off on just about everything I would think. There are also fishing weights, bullets, nails and nuts and bolts from old bucket dredges.Remember when you are looking for Gold you go where Gold was found before so Man has already been there,so where man has been, so shall you find evidence of his having been there.That is why archeologists were created.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumb question from a non-prospector. If you're prospecting for gold, I would assume you are in a wilderness area with not a lot of human traffic. Why would you not want to use a PI machine, since you most likely won't be digging much garbage?

Most of the gold nuggets found are very small and shallow here. A PI is less affected by ground mineralization and goes much deeper, allowing people to find the larger deeper nuggets. In my area people have pounded the nugget patches so hard with VLF's, the only option (some believe) is to use a PI (preferably GPX) to find those deeper nuggets that a VLF just can't see

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread