Buying a Vaquero - Should I or shouldnt I?

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying a Vaquero - Should I or shouldn't I?

Ok, let me give you the low down and get your opinions.

Either some great salesmanship from 53Silver videos and general all around thumbs-up for the V, I don't think I'll be able to sleep until I actually TRY one.

I tried a Compadre. I liked it. It was 'cute' but in no means could it replace my main MX5 (which I've had only 2 months or so) The Compadre was just not deep enough, even with a slight tweak of the internal sens. Great for clad and tot lots, yes. Sold it, but my mind is still open to a more powerful Tesoro.

On the days when I find silver, without exception I find ONE piece. That's it. Seems if it was meant to be, I go right to a silver coin and find NO MORE, despite pretty thorough searching. Now, logic would suggest there has got to be more there right? I've even started digging damn near every signal even the ones that aren't 'iffy' like I usually do. It's ended up in hand cramps and back aches.

I have a favorite spot I hunt (where I found a single '45 merc) which I'm very confident no one has hunted before but it is LITTERED with trash. Nails, foil, screw tops, pull tabs, you name it, it's all there. Almost every sweep my MX5 farts at iron (have found numerous small rusty nails, etc)

Is the Vaquero really that superior at separating a good target if it's close to trash? That's the rave I hear about 'em, in addition to it's depth.

I take my hobby pretty seriously. After all, it's about finding good stuff. A investment in another machine right after spending $625 (bought the 5.3 coil for the MX5) is a lot to ask for if I can't be reasonably sure it'll increase my finds. Guess the only way to find out is to try it, but even at $450 its a gamble.

Discuss....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a Tesoro cult member, so you can't trust me..

Just BUY IT! :headbang:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a Tejon used on EBay plus shipping for $450... I believe it is Tesoro's best... Vaquero is great, but the duel disc is the bomb! It is like having a notch to accept rather than blank out.. Get the kendel book on the vaquero/Tejon and read up on it!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a Tejon used on EBay plus shipping for $450... I believe it is Tesoro's best... Vaquero is great, but the duel disc is the bomb! It is like having a notch to accept rather than blank out.. Get the kendel book on the vaquero/Tejon and read up on it!

Hot Zone knows what he is talking about. The Kindle ebook is on Amazon. Even if you don't have a Kindle, you can get the reading app for your iphone or computer and read it there. The book tells why the Tejon and Vaquero are so hot without all that chattering. Vaquero.JPG Amazon.com: mastering the tesoro tejon and vaquero

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let me give you the low down and get your opinions. Either some great salesmanship from 53Silver videos and general all around thumbs-up for the V, I don't think I'll be able to sleep until I actually TRY one. I tried a Compadre. I liked it. It was 'cute' but in no means could it replace my main MX5 (which I've had only 2 months or so) The Compadre was just not deep enough, even with a slight tweak of the internal sens. Great for clad and tot lots, yes. Sold it, but my mind is still open to a more powerful Tesoro. On the days when I find silver, without exception I find ONE piece. That's it. Seems if it was meant to be, I go right to a silver coin and find NO MORE, despite pretty thorough searching. Now, logic would suggest there has got to be more there right? I've even started digging damn near every signal even the ones that aren't 'iffy' like I usually do. It's ended up in hand cramps and back aches. I have a favorite spot I hunt (where I found a single '45 merc) which I'm very confident no one has hunted before but it is LITTERED with trash. Nails, foil, screw tops, pull tabs, you name it, it's all there. Almost every sweep my MX5 farts at iron (have found numerous small rusty nails, etc) Is the Vaquero really that superior at separating a good target if it's close to trash? That's the rave I hear about 'em, in addition to it's depth. I take my hobby pretty seriously. After all, it's about finding good stuff. A investment in another machine right after spending $625 (bought the 5.3 coil for the MX5) is a lot to ask for if I can't be reasonably sure it'll increase my finds. Guess the only way to find out is to try it, but even at $450 its a gamble. Discuss....
Those vids sold me and 250 other members on the Vaquero. That's not anything close to what I experienced either of the 3 different land Tesoros I went through before realizing ones really not much different than the other except for a button or switch. If you liked the Compadre I could be wrong, but they just weren't my cup of tea!

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a mint used Vaquero going for $350. PM me and I'll forward the link.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro has a good resale value... If you are not pleased, you can easily sell it without as much loss as a minelab... I paid over a thou for my Quattro, and no one wants to pay $400 for one on EBay with extra coils... There is not one tesoro for sale on local craigs list, but dozens of whites and minelabs cheap... Not for everyone, but I love The Tiger shark and Tejon!

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what I find most impressive is the ability to see thru small nails, foil and the like when they're next to/close to a target. I've never seen a real world test where there might be a couple rusty nails slightly under a good target and actually under the ground. All I've seen are above ground. Granted, even when I test my MX5 the same way I do get a scattered VDI and broken tone unless I switch it to AM, then I get a 'sum' of a signal and of course a positive beep. I can't imagine doing that every time on every signal. If the V can respond with a smooth "dig me" beep and I find one silver where I've hunted 2 dozen times before with a TID machine, I'm sold. Then again, I could buy a bloodhound and teach him to sniff silver and gold targets only. Probably dig for me too... :laughing7:

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the honest input.... It helps! I still think those Tesoros are damn sexy beasts though.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the honest input.... It helps! I still think those Tesoros are damn sexy beasts though.
There's only one way to find out then! Buy one and see if you like it. I see them for 3-$350 pretty regularly with very little use.

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vaquero

Hey SilverFinger -- I watched the videos and read everything I could online about the various Tesoro models, and finally sprang for a used Vaquero so we are coming to the same conclusion. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can try it out. If we have been brainwashed at least it seems like there are plenty of Tesoro nuts around, more than enough to form a good support group.

My detecting experience was as a kid with my Dad, roughly 35-40 years ago. Our last detectors were a C&G Tomcat (mine) and Bobcat (his) and we had a great time finding stuff with them. Since Tesoro is more or less the successor to C&G, it was an easy sale.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beep and dig is not for everyone. There are those that love it and those that hate it. I am in the love it category. I would suggest trying it to see if it is for you. It sounds like you are already digging iffy signals anyway. If it is only silver coins you are after you can raise the disc up to just past pulltab and knock most of the junk out. When you find a target and get a nice clean tone from two directions with that disc setting, you can be about 90% positive it's a coin. With the disc set at just past pulltab you will get pops and clicks in the audio when you are in a trashy area. It's not EMI, it is just junk being partially discriminated out. This is when it is time to slow that swing down and take your time. When the detector gets a good target it will sound nice and clear past the junk audio. This is where the excellent target separation and quick recovery of the Tesoro's really shines. The silver I found last year was in a sea of trash tabs and bottlecaps. This park is old and has been heavily hunted and I believe these silver coins were missed because of the trash surrounding them. One of the coins was a 1894 Barber O mint in great condition.

If you get the Vaq, make sure to let us know and also PM Terry Soloman, he will teach you the secret Tesoro handshake.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those vids sold me and 250 other members on the Vaquero. That's not anything close to what I experienced either of the 3 different land Tesoros I went through before realizing ones really not much different than the other except for a button or switch. If you liked the Compadre I could be wrong, but they just weren't my cup of tea!

DITTO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions