wifes new Silver Umax

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wife's new Silver Umax

I am very pleased and so is she. Air test(for what its worth) was 7" on quarter, 8" on LC, and around 6" on penny/dime. After a short lesson she began to hunt our yard. And she found a few pennies that I had missed including a '47 wheat at a good 5 inches. We then headed to our local park and I set disc between pull tabs and zinc/ sensitivity at 9 and turned her loose. She ended up with 5 quarters, 6 dimes and 15 pennies. The only trash was 2 crushed bottle caps and a large pull tab. Not bad for a $250 machine!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If her settings were lower so she'd pick up pull tabs she'd have better luck finding a gold ring.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told her that....she said that could wait for another day....

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman's right. I generally run my Tesoros set to disc iron and maybe foil, but accept nickles. When I get a good hit, I thumb the disc up slowly to see where (if ) the target drops out. You will quickly learn to hear where a nickel crackles out which is in the jewelry range. Farther up the scale tabs, then zinc pennies fall out with clad and silver remaining strong all the way. With practice this becomes a fairly accurate way to decide whether a target is likely good or not.
luvsdux

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you Sandman and luvsdux, but for somebody new there is nothing like instant success. I personally recommend all newbies start with that cherry picking setting.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Sandman and luvsdux, but for somebody new there is nothing like instant success. I personally recommend all newbies start with that cherry picking setting.
That was my thoughts also Rainy....I really didn't want to turn her against her new machine by having her digging a bunch of pulltabs and can slaw. But she knows what its going to take if she wants gold.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was my thoughts also Rainy....I really didn't want to turn her against her new machine by having her digging a bunch of pulltabs and can slaw. But she knows what its going to take if she wants gold.

I agree, there is a time and place for gold. A trashy area is not the place for someone new to dig all. I got discouraged at first with a low disc setting digging tab after tab. Turned the disc up just short of zinc and was successful instantly. This changed my whole outlook. Found some silver and all was well. Now, in some areas on the grass near a beach, the disc goes down and I dig it all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions