Sep 13, 2014
Muncie IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Tesoro Cibola(current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I am new to the forum as well as a new tesoro user! I am expecting it in the mail in a day or so. I've been detecting for 5 or so years but had an ace 250 with 9x12 coil. I just upgraded to a tesoro cibola, will I be better off? Any tricks with the tesoro that videos don't show. I mostly relic and coin hunt. Thanks.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tesoro land and the forum. The Cibola should give considerably better performance than the Ace 250 even though it has no screen. Dig everything and practice thumbing the disc. knob to get a handle on what a target may be and listen carefully to the single tone as eventually you'll be able to hear fine nuances in it that will help decide whether a target is worth retrieving or not.
luvsdux

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, NY! Congrats on the new Cibola!!!! You are MUCH better off. Don't use too much Sensitivity. Keep it between 7-8, and unless you are not interested in gold set your discrimination just a hair below Nickel. Good Luck!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that Cibola! I think you made a wise choice. Give it some time and practice and you will see how little you needed that display in the first place. And yes, I think that is definitely an upgrade.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the others have said you did upgrade. Follow Terry's and the others advice. Don't turn up the Sens to much thinking you'll get more depth. Actually you'll get less depth as the coil will see more minerals and mask out a deep coin. You'll love it.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome from the Gold Coast. GL and HH

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forums and the Tesoro gang!
I had a Cibola for awhile and really enjoyed it. Great heater.
I'm using the Deleon now.... The Cibola just got me hooked on Tesoro's.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and from one new Tesoro owner to another Im sure you will become a big fan of the Tesoro brand.
One thing " We " Tesoro user's love about our machine's is the fact that they have their very own language. It's a very subtle language and will require you to learn it. The best thing you can do to help speed up your learning curve is get some really good headphones. After picking a pair of Killer Bee's I was better able to understand my Tesoro and its language. My wife has found that with her Cibola the more time she spent with it the better she was at picking the subtle cues and has managed to out hunt my Outlaw on a few occasions. So take your time and get a good pair of headphones and have fun. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
E

erbdigger

Sep 13, 2014
Muncie IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Tesoro Cibola(current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! And I agree, hobojo, and am excited about "learning the language". I have many places that should yield very nice finds if i can get permission from land owners. I'm excited to test the cibola on some of my more hunted out spots that I used the ace 250 on.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cibola is a great, no frills detector. Because you are relying on sound versus a screen, it will be more accurate in a way. I took one on a competition hunt, and it is very fast and wouldn't hesitate to take it again and leave my CTX at home.

I think that I will always have a Cibola or a Vanquero on hand even though I probably will not use them anytime soon because I have really fancy detectors.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your Cibola is a HOT machine!
Really a deep-seeker!!
Learn where coinage shows up on your discrim dial,
not where the factory marks are.
Learn where gold is found on there, too...!
Dig almost everything...!
With pinpointer engaged, lower the coil to your target from above,
and at the loudest, is the depth (coil-soil), and dig accordingly!
Have fun, as you will be finding a LOT of goodies!
Happy Hunting and Good Luck!!

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I've been detecting for 5 or so years but had an ace 250 with 9x12 coil. I just upgraded to a tesoro cibola, will I be better off? Any tricks with the tesoro that videos don't show. I mostly relic and coin hunt. Thanks.

Jeez, the 250 is a bad detector. A walking stick is an upgrade. My advice, get the 5.75" coil!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Can you change coils on the Walking Stick? Hard to get info on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread