Nokta Makro Anfibio wireless headphones
Nokta Makro Pulse Dive & Pulse Dive 8 inch
Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP
NEL Hunter & 5 inch fish
Killer B's headphones
Tesoro Vaquero 5x10 DD wide scan Realistic No
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a newbie 6 years ago and ended up buying a used Vaquero. I wanted to choose a detector that I would grow into and avoid the detector tread mill that I see all the time on the forums buying and selling in search of the perfect machine. I still love my Vaquero for the same reasons manual GB, light weight, ability to change coils, and the single 9 volt battery.
A must for this sensitive detector is a pin pointer and I went with the Garrett pro.
My main coil is a 5x10 DD elliptical and I hunt in all metal via the pinpoint button and release to get discrimination mode.

Minas man

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think he has what it takes. To scared to buy a cheap detector. watchin it is more fun weee.

OP
OP
dlt123me

dlt123me

Sep 18, 2014
Newberg Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think he has what it takes. To scared to buy a cheap detector. watchin it is more fun weee.

Deftone, who doesn't have what it takes? Is that directed at me for asking questions? Doing research is what it takes to make informed decisions, buying pushed by mockery isn't and besides, following the crowd shows ignorance. Please try to be more a little more eloquent in your responses since this kind of response only fosters pissing wars.

Your response makes you sound arrogant and stupid and I'm sure that was not your intention. :hello:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gotta agree with dlt123me on this one.

I don't think it is a good idea to drink heavily while posting.

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well least I'm still digging stuff up.

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My arrogant ass is still here. Hell ya I'm drinking it in. Rainyday u made my list. All talk no do. Bla Bla. Drinking heavely always works for me. I'm still here!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My arrogant ass is still here. Hell ya I'm drinking it in. Rainyday u made my list. All talk no do. Bla Bla. Drinking heavely always works for me. I'm still here!

Lmao

OP
OP
dlt123me

dlt123me

Sep 18, 2014
Newberg Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Deftone, as you can see, I didn't take any of your advice... which to be honest, holds no value in my eyes at this point. In an earlier post you said to just buy my kid a cheap detector. That would only taint him to the sport and give detecting a bad rap in his eyes.

I ended up buying an AT Pro since I wanted my son to start with one that would be successful and fun to use. I will buy me a Tesoro later or get something else. Sorry to say, but you're advice holds no sway in my camp, so your opinion on my purchase is moot. Being arrogant and drinking it in, doesn't show me anything... accept a lack of being able to defend without an excuse.

You know, it's sad my encounters with you brought out the character I see. I hope in the future your claim to fame, is more than what you wrote here. As they say... Shame on you. LOL. and.. Deftone, don't ya love pulling chains, I do? We may have more in common than you think. grin

Oh, and please add me to your list. I would be honored to be along side Rainyday101. :headbang:

Dennis

Last edited:
OP
OP
dlt123me

dlt123me

Sep 18, 2014
Newberg Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dlt123me, I personally am not a fan of the AT Pro. Why? I have tried my buddies and feel that ergonomically it is not well balanced making it seem heavy. I also did not like the display. That being said, he does well with it. I haven't tried it in the water though to compare it to the Tiger. It would have to be some kind of awfully good to beat the Tiger Shark in the water. In my personal opinion a lifetime warranty is a good thing to have on a water detector.

When I first purchased my Tiger I was asking questions similar to yours. I took the advice of some very seasoned people on this forum. The consensus was to buy a good dedicated detector for each aspect of hunting. Water detector for water, land detector for land. Right or wrong this has worked well for me. I have a hard time believing the AT could beat the Tiger in the water. Maybe Sandman will chime in and confirm this. Also on land I know the AT cannot touch the Tejon. My buddy and I switched detectors a few times. The last time he took my Tejon for about a hour. I had a hard time getting it back from him. He is buying a Tejon. Also in mild soil on land his AT can't find anything my Silver uMax can't with the exception of some coins that may just at the fringe of the Silver' depth. He can get slightly deeper. It won't be fair to say the AT is a pile of bunk. Lots of people are making really good finds with them. That being said, I still feel if you scratch the housing on an AT Pro it is yellow underneath. That is some pretty expensive paint!

Is Tesoro the end all to all needs? Maybe, maybe not. I know what I have works really well for me and in the end that is what matters. The reality is knowing your detector well and location will win everytime. Look at the forums for the other brands and you will see regulars that consistently make great finds. Their detector may or may not better, BUT they are very good with the detector they have and have chosen their location well.

In the end, no matter what brand you use, if there is nothing under the coil you won't find diddly!

I will be buying a dedicated fresh water detector later, and for the price, the Tiger fits the bill. I will most likely not do too much salt water, but if I do, I will look at the Sand Shark...

I did decide to buy a AT Pro which my son will use. I just felt for him all the visuals would keep him interested in the sport and he could learn hunting from it and be somewhat successful. Just using sound might turn him off at first, but as many here have most likely found from experience, sound is the final word. But I feel, get him into the fun of it first, then later he will want to dig deeper into the sport and may accept a sound only machine... or something else that floats his boat.

There were some nays on the AT Pro but much more yah's so I decided it would be a good fit in my starting collection of detectors... and my son is excited and is reading up and learning what it's all about. We're going hunting today at his school to see what we find, if time allows.

Thanks both you and Sandman for the info. Most everyone here has been positive and helpful. Thanks all...

Dennis

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dlt123me, congrats on the purchase. Of course you will have to forgive me when I pick on the AT's once in awhile. It just seems every time I find a good spot I run into somebody with an AT! My buddy has one and does well with it, and has a nice pile of silver to prove it. In the end we will never all like the same detector and that's a good thing.

I see you also got the Garrett ProPointer. That was a good move and will make your hunting much easier. I also use the ProPointer. There are a lot of new competitors in the pinpointer market now and maybe someday I will try one of them.

The most important thing as you start is to learn how to cut nice neat small U shaped plugs. Put any removed dirt on a drop cloth and leave no sign of being there.

Keep us posted on your finds!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dlt123me, congrats on the new atpro....I have used a bunch of machines and still like it best. With the f75 running a close second. Buy the 5x8 coil, it is worth its weight in gold! Seperation in trash is twice as good and it makes the pro perfectly balanced. Good luck!

OP
OP
dlt123me

dlt123me

Sep 18, 2014
Newberg Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The most important thing as you start is to learn how to cut nice neat small U shaped plugs. Put any removed dirt on a drop cloth and leave no sign of being there.

Keep us posted on your finds!

LOL... Well, it looks like I'm on my way to becoming a seasoned hunter. I'm starting my trash pile treasury. My son and I went out for a short while today and found two things... No coins or jewelry.. It looks like they are carter pins of some type. They were about two feet from each other and about 4 inches down..

What I learned today is that I need to buy a small shovel. The digging tool that came with my detector does not cut it in hard clay soil like we were digging in today. My son was having fun, and that is what it's all about.

First-Finds1.jpg

It can only get better from here... LOL

.. and oh, opinions never bother me. I've learned to read opinions and biases. From what I've read from you and many others on this forum, I value your opinion and welcome any advice or criticism. I'm just learning the Pro and will study it for some time to learn what I like and don't like. I'm on the same road as the seasoned hunters here, it's just that I am at the beginning of the road. I am going to enjoy this sport. As they say... it's the journey that is most fun, not the end of the destination.

BTW, putting the soil on a drop cloth is a good idea. I saw a video on Youtube and that is what that guy was doing. He was digging up coins like mad, and covering his tracks. I suspect that wasn't you, but that was the first and only video out of many that I watched that used a drop cloth.

Dennis

Last edited:
OP
OP
dlt123me

dlt123me

Sep 18, 2014
Newberg Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dlt123me, congrats on the new atpro....I have used a bunch of machines and still like it best. With the f75 running a close second. Buy the 5x8 coil, it is worth its weight in gold! Seperation in trash is twice as good and it makes the pro perfectly balanced. Good luck!

The 5x8 is my next purchase.. Oh no, I'm being sucked into the gotta get this next, treasure hunter black hole. :laughing7:

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited:

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp 2 morons down. I knew I was right.I like this site and most of the peeps here. We all know Tejon all day. Then vaq then compadre then.... oh wait!!!11!111

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new never detected ever

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread