A Few Questions for Tiger Shark Owners

dlt123me

Sep 18, 2014
Newberg Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I've been doing some research into water detecting and have some questions for those who own a Tiger Shark... I don't own any detectors yet, but thought the Tiger would be a great first metal detector to start with since Oregon has so many parks, rivers, beaches and lakes to metal detect.

My research into the Tiger Shark has me confused though. I've read conflicting threads that imply the Tiger can do both fresh and salt water detecting, yet other threads I've read say that the Tiger is more suited for fresh water rather than salt.. so I'm not too confident in what I have been reading on this unit.

If it can do both, how does it do in salt sand and water? Dry sand I imagine it would do fine, right?

I am going to be doing mostly fresh water with the Tiger, but if it can do salt, that would be great.

Did Tesoro make recent changes to the Tiger to make it lean more toward fresh water, then add the Sand Shark, to make up for the loss of salt water in the Tiger? The reason I ask this is because some of the threads that say it can do both are older threads, i.e. ~2006.

Also, one more question... Is the Tiger any good at land based searching for coins and jewelry? I am not interested in relics so I don't care how it does with that...

So for those who own the Tiger, what have you found?

Any feedback and corrections on current day Tiger Sharks is greatly appreciated.

Dennis

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read my post on your previous thread on more Tiger info.

The Tiger does have a salt mode. This mode just makes the detector less sensitive so the salt causes less falsing. The Tiger is by no means a saltwater machine. Any decent detector will do okay on dry sand.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Rainyday says, the Tiger Shark is not a true all beach detector. I have used the Tiger at saltwater beaches and depending which location it can false a little because salt content and black sand can vary even within a few feet. Some salt beaches the salt mode isn't even needed. Pulse units like the Sand Shark aren't affected by the salt, but regardless what the manufactures say, they don't really have discrimination so you could dig 2 foot down for a wire bread wrapper. Unfortunately the newer Tiger Shark and Sand Shark all have the coils hardwired so you can't change coils.

Grantly

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As Rainyday says, the Tiger Shark is not a true all beach detector. I have used the Tiger at saltwater beaches and depending which location it can false a little because salt content and black sand can vary even within a few feet. Some salt beaches the salt mode isn't even needed. Pulse units like the Sand Shark aren't affected by the salt, but regardless what the manufactures say, they don't really have discrimination so you could dig 2 foot down for a wire bread wrapper. Unfortunately the newer Tiger Shark and Sand Shark all have the coils hardwired so you can't change coils.

Sandman, I am currently using a Compadre, but live next to the beach. Lots of black sand, and I scuba as well so I am looking for a good beach and saltwater detector. Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Grant

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal works well on beaches with black sand. Look for a good used excal...

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used my Tiger Shark on a rainy day in a playground, it is just a beep and dig so I didn't feel like digging lots of scrap aluminum. It found a silver necklace, gold bracelet and some coins. I wouldn't choose to use it as a normal park machine though. I've found more gold with that machine than my Excal's, I think it will be great for your needs. You can always use it for freshwater hunting til you pay it off, then start saving your finds to buy a second machine for the salt.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used my Tiger Shark on a rainy day in a playground, it is just a beep and dig so I didn't feel like digging lots of scrap aluminum. It found a silver necklace, gold bracelet and some coins. I wouldn't choose to use it as a normal park machine though. I've found more gold with that machine than my Excal's, I think it will be great for your needs. You can always use it for freshwater hunting til you pay it off, then start saving your finds to buy a second machine for the salt.

Ya know Talon hit this right on the head. It's just a beep and dig, BUT it is so dam sensitive and hits like you wouldn't believe on gold. It's simple, but so effective.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread