Discrimination Question

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw some 'odd' behavior with my Outlaw in discrimination mode over the weekend. For example... pull tabs disc'ing out just above nickel... zinc pennies just before pull tab... copper pennies just past pull tab.

I will follow up with a air test tonight after work and if possible a shallow test as well. It was a new site and maybe that was the issue but I just wanted to see if anyone has seen similar things in Disc mode.

Thanks,
John

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have found the same thing once or twice, sometimes those stinklins will go out just past nickel and before pull-tab, and coppers will go out past pull tab and somewhere around zinc or just past it. It might be related to Temp, Humidity and soil type. All just guesses. I really like my Outlaw, she's a keeper.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all detectors are built up the same due to components being different even within the same model. Some are just hotter than others and others are not up to par. It is hard to compare settings for this reason. you just need to learn the beast.

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the Outlaw a couplets years. This was something I just noticed on my last hunt. Previously, the disc worked great as did the whole unit.

I've been bogged down helping the kid through geometry this week so haven't done an air test. My fear is I need to send it in for repair if the air test goes badly. My hope is that it was just an oddity of where I was hunting over the weekend.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the Outlaw a couplets years. This was something I just noticed on my last hunt. Previously, the disc worked great as did the whole unit.

I've been bogged down helping the kid through geometry this week so haven't done an air test. My fear is I need to send it in for repair if the air test goes badly. My hope is that it was just an oddity of where I was hunting over the weekend.

Be sure to let us know. Tesoro will take care of you.:thumbsup:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully it was just the conditions and soil in that spot.

Been having to help a little on the Geometry myself. I much prefer helping the younger one with 3rd grade math word problems. I am smarter than a 3rd grader? Barely!

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did air test and everything checked out ok with the Disc settings here at home. That was a relief. But I decided to go back got the location where I had the issue and sure enough things are "off' there just like last weekend. I pulled a 4" x 2' slice of sod up and put quarter, dime, copper, zinc, pull tab and nickel down and covered. Everything was off by a bit. Nickels down closer to foil and quarters pretty close to zinc pennies. I did do a ground balance a couple of times just to be sure - nothing odd just slightly negative.

I went to a different park and everything Disc at normal levels. Pulled out over $4 in clad with no issues. It must be that spot.

Now if I can get the kid's geometry grade working. Thanks for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread