Impressions on the Vaquero - I may need some help from the Tesoro hardcore....

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things I love about this machine -

• Featherlight. Swinging my Classic ID now feels like I'm wielding a cinder block around.
• Silent. Stable.
• Stock coil design. I love the coverage of the 9x8.

I have been digging nearly every signal that passes the "B" test. If the signal is strong at the "B" in "Tab", I dig. I'm ok with that. I dig probably every 5th signal that breaks up at nickel - generally I find a new-style pull tab.

One thing I'm insecure about is it's depth. I've heard great things about it's depth but realistically, at what point does the signal become 'iffy' on say a quarter?

I've been finding a lot of things close to the surface - 2-3" tops and ignoring the iffy signals. I think that's fair because any decent instrument should perform well enough and reasonably give you the info you need.

I bought the Vaquero because of the raves I see about it's depth but I'm not that confident in it's depth. '53Silvers videos make it look 'confidently' deep - Dimes at 6-8" with a STRONG response.

I may or may not want to super tune it too. Should be able to get a confident depth without the use of super tuning.

Yes, I'm properly ground balanced. I promise. I've been MD'in a long time too and know when my machine is properly tuned. I also check my GB every 10-15 mins or so.

Realistically and honestly, what can I expect from this machine as far as a crisp signal on a coin? I'm talkin' a sure 2-way beep and not a signal I'll have to chase because it's questionable.

I can't tell you HOW much I want to like this machine. I'm not expecting mind-blowing, but impressive would be nice.

This was/is a brand new Vaquero.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't read it, youu need to read the book:"Mastering the Vaquero and Tejon".....very good book!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main mistake most new Vaquero users make is using too much Sensitivity (gain). Keep it around "6," in most soils for greater depth.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. I will try everything suggested. I also heard that you can 'power balance' by setting GB slightly negative in AM before switching to disc mode. Any truth to that? I'm looking for a confident signal on deeper coins is all.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Power balancing and everything else is in the book.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I coughed up the ten bucks for the book.... A good read so far....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread