Tesoro Lobo VLF/Dicriminator vs. Compadre

MDnewbieAZ

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see one used online, is this still a good one? I'm looking to get a used Tesoro as my first detector (also looking at a used Compadre). I'll be doing just general detecting until I get the hang of things. Also, I want to start with a Tesoro so as not to become dependent on looking at a screen. Any experience with either of these would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for the Compadre first. GREAT first machine and really finds the stuff.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the Compadre! I have a new one in the box if you are interested - PM me.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compadre is without a doubt the best machine for the dollar,have one and use it,8" coil..Its supposed to have the ed-180 disc. but i believe it more like 175 degs. of disc,lol..the lobo supertraq does have the true ed-180 as it will pick up stony iron and chondrite meteorites with just a little iron/nickle in them,yes any machine will find irons,even a microna will.But the lobo is able to do it in the disc mode which makes them easy to i.d..But you can open up the compadre and tweak it and it will hit hard on all meteorites that have at least some metals in them..But for coin and jewelry i don't think the little compadre can be beat,,s.t

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're sort of comparing apples and oranges with these two detectors. I agree with those above that recommend starting with the Compadre.
luvsdux

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you may as well go ahead and get a new one. i saved up my money last winter and this spring went ahead and got a new vaquero for my first detector. though i understand the compadre is good for the money. you will more than likely want something with more soon after. a vaquero has everything you will need. can get different coils for it. it is easy to learn how to set up and use. and with a new one, instead of used. you will have the lifetime warranty on it. i understand saving a few dollars and getting a cheap one to see if you will like it. in the long run, you will be better off just getting a real good new one, than a used one with no warranty and will soon want more features and a bit more depth. jokingly, go big or go home... haha

Nomadnailer

Apr 6, 2011
Montrose, WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i with dx-1 sunray probe, Whites xlt, Tesoro lobo st,
I have the Lobo st and it was my first detector it has found a lot of cash I just wish I had started with the compadre. The Lobo is more machine than I needed at the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread