Outlaw Retune button?

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, call me MD obsessed, but I horse traded a couple other units and took delivery of an Outlaw. I must try as many machines as I can before I'm just too damn old to dig.

Looks like a fine machine. I got home too late to get any dirt on the coil. Looks like it's more of a coin machine than anything else being 10kHz and all, and that's just what I want.

I am slightly perplexed by the function of the 'retune' button, vs. a traditional pinpoint. Traditionally, shouldn't a pinpoint button switch from Disc to AM (slow sweep) mode to pinpoint a target? Seems that option's not the purpose of the retune button.

Can someone 'splain please?

I'm pretty MD savvy and I might have a eureka moment once I get it outside but for now, I don't see the purpose.

randyalbin

Sep 24, 2007
Flat Rock, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's 5900 CB,XL Pro,IDX Pro,MX5,Tesoro's Bandido,INCA,OutLaw,Tiger Shark,Toltec ll,Toltec 100,Troy Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverFinger,

I did the field report on the Outlaw for Tesoro, check it out on their website. I go into great detail about the Retune button.

Basically, it is a 3 function switch depending what operating mode you are using. In the motion Disc. mode, a half press of the button shifts the mode into stationary or no-motion all-metal, it will hold on to the signal indefinitely until you release the button. A full press of the button shifts modes to Auto-Tune all-metal and requires some motion to pick up the target, unlike the no-motion all-metal. And finally when the 3 position Mode switch is in the middle position All-Metal (no-motion) you can use the Retune button to de-tune or shrink the size of the signal. Just pinpoint the target and listen to the strongest signal, then move coil just off of the target about an inch or so and fully press the button all the way down, then release it... this will shrink the all-metal signal to a tiny spot and target will be in exact center of the coil. Sounds confusing, I know, but in my tests I wanted to fully disprove of any malfunction reports I had read about. Also after doing the de-tuning trick with the all-metal, you need to fully press the Retune button with the coil in the air away from the target or the de-tuning will carry over to the Disc. mode and impair performance. This I think was what was getting everybody confused over the control.

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This machine WILL find coins alright! You can zero in on them like a laser with the pin-point feature.
Heres a pic of a recent find
image.jpg

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverFinger,

I did the field report on the Outlaw for Tesoro, check it out on their website. I go into great detail about the Retune button.

Basically, it is a 3 function switch depending what operating mode you are using.

In the motion Disc. mode, a half press of the button shifts the mode into stationary or no-motion all-metal, it will hold on to the signal indefinitely until you release the button. A full press of the button shifts modes to Auto-Tune all-metal and requires some motion to pick up the target, unlike the no-motion all-metal.

I'm finding it the complete opposite of that. When in DISC mode, pressing the RETUNE button (no 'half' press available) will cause it to enter motion AM mode. If you're running in Auto mode, pressing the RETUNE will cause you to enter non-motion pinpoint. It's very confusing and I don't see the point. However, it's fast enough to not even really need a pinpoint but where a non-motion all metal pinpoint would come in very handy would be sizing up a target from DISC mode. It's really not comin' together for me.

Last edited:

randyalbin

Sep 24, 2007
Flat Rock, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's 5900 CB,XL Pro,IDX Pro,MX5,Tesoro's Bandido,INCA,OutLaw,Tiger Shark,Toltec ll,Toltec 100,Troy Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Retune button has a halfway point, it feels just a little drag, it is easy to feel it with detector turned off. When in the Disc. mode and with a half press of the button, it shifts the mode to no motion all-metal. Pressed all the way in is Auto tuned all-metal. Sorry that is best way to describe it. If you are not comfortable with the button, don't use it. You can always use the 3 position mode switch to access the all-metal. I really like to use the no motion all-metal, it is useful to pinpoint exact location of the target and to get a feel for the size and shape of the target.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by " no half press available " ?
What I have found is , that the HALF way point of travel of the button in DISC mode is just a very slight push , if you go to far it will go into " auto all metal" it takes a little practice but it will work in the DISC mode.
My preferred use is to toggle the switch to the auto all metal then to no-motion then hit the button for the pin point feature. Then once the target has been zeroed in on I will flip it back to DISC set the coil away from the hole and dig the target. If you leave the switch in no-motion when you lay it down it will start sounding off , like its sitting on top of the target . I have found that the button seems to get sticky. I think that very fine dust enters from the top when being pushed repeatedly and cause's the button switch to get dirty. Giving it a bath( see my post " For your Outlaw eyes only") will clean out any of the fine dust that may be causing some sensitivity in the switch mechanism. Keeping the button clean and covered has resulted in less faulting of the switch.
I hope this rambling bunch of hiss and fart has made some sense if not oh well it works for me! Long live the Outlaw!!!
Peace and HH

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm muckin' with it as we speak and I'll be darned, I can't press the button 'half way'. There is no detent where the button is pressed half way. I wonder if this is what the gripes about the button were that I was hearing about. I had it out today. Other than the button confusion, it's a fun little machine. All the personality traits of what makes Tesoro's fun detectors to use. I'll have to work with it. Just wonder why they'd decide to wire up a button that in my opinion, works in reverse. It's second nature to push a button 'all the way' for pinpointing and slo-mo all metal.

The manual does say 'put your thumb on the bezel surrounding the retune button' but it honestly doesn't seem to be working.

Other than that, any tips from the Outlaw gurus? Better depth? etc?

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your right about the Retune button being confusing and that might have caused a lot of the complaints but the Outlaws quirks do work in its favor. After reading up on it and getting the hours and hours on the Outlaw I still find it my favorite Tesoro ( which I own ). The Compadre would come in second.The Outlaw can be maxed out in its own type of " Super Tune " just like the Vaq and Cibloa. Its a lot better pin-pointer than the Compade, Vaq or Cibola. The depth is the not bad, its just not a deep machine , get the Tejon or Vaq for depth. I get about 10" to 11" on a US .25 , 8 to 9 on a .5 and 7 to 8 on a dime with the 8" concentric on a air test* in DISC at nickel. Yes you CAN DISC out a dime (not on the Vaq or Cibloa) and focus only on the larger coins .25 .50 or dollar coins.
Silver will go all the way but will give you that " it might be a deep .25 " sound. The Outlaw has found a lot of silver rings in the past year. I did reset the DISC knob at nickel so that a nickel would go out where its just past the 5 cents mark. Going just past the zinc mark will take out everything except silvers, coppers, larger coins, cans and large iron. Depth will suffer in that high of disc but , remember this machine is not really set up that way. I once pulled a .25 just past Zinc on the DISC at about 7" with a small iron nail sitting on top of it. Yes I know I wont be calling my mom!
This is a DISC machine and if you use it to hunt parks that are trashy and are looking for shallow coins 5" to 7" range and silver jewelry, then come on lets see who wins! My bet would be on the Outlaw. In Auto All metal mode you can find ANYTHING that will sound off, then DISC it out to determine if its dig worthy. Another big plus for the Outlaw are the extra coils. Wow ! I guess this would be a nice one year review of my Tesoro Outlaw!
Just a few coins located by the Outlaw
image.jpg

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, call me MD obsessed, but I horse traded a couple other units and took delivery of an Outlaw. I must try as many machines as I can before I'm just too damn old to dig.

Looks like a fine machine. I got home too late to get any dirt on the coil. Looks like it's more of a coin machine than anything else being 10kHz and all, and that's just what I want.

I am slightly perplexed by the function of the 'retune' button, vs. a traditional pinpoint. Traditionally, shouldn't a pinpoint button switch from Disc to AM (slow sweep) mode to pinpoint a target? Seems that option's not the purpose of the retune button.

Can someone 'splain please?

I'm pretty MD savvy and I might have a eureka moment once I get it outside but for now, I don't see the purpose.

Does the instruction manual state that you should push the retune button in "halfway"? If it does, then that is how it was designed by Tesoro to be used. There should be no confusion if the manual states that the button has "3" positions. If not and people are figuring this out this "halfway point" on their own, this would be quite confusing I imagine.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At one point I seriously considered buying an Outlaw. I read the instruction manual and the purpose of the pinpoint button was not real well explained. I also had concerns about dirt and dust with this 3 position push button. This is ultimately why I didn't buy one.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no detent on the button, so it really is only a 2 position button and you have to 'feel' for the middle. I don't know if you're a guitar player but it's kinda like a Stratocaster with a 3 position switch vs. a 5 way. You have to 'feel' the spot between 1-3 and 3 and 5 to get different pickup combinations. It's kinda gimmicky really. I do like the Outlaw. It has all the things that make a Tesoro fun. Only wish they'd just make the "Retune" button a slo-mo all metal pinpoint without the extra baggage. And man I like that bad-ass lookin' Outlaw dude with the bandana and red eyes. :)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no detent on the button, so it really is only a 2 position button and you have to 'feel' for the middle. I don't know if you're a guitar player but it's kinda like a Stratocaster with a 3 position switch vs. a 5 way. You have to 'feel' the spot between 1-3 and 3 and 5 to get different pickup combinations. It's kinda gimmicky really. I do like the Outlaw. It has all the things that make a Tesoro fun. Only wish they'd just make the "Retune" button a slo-mo all metal pinpoint without the extra baggage. And man I like that bad-ass lookin' Outlaw dude with the bandana and red eyes. :)

The 5 way switch on my mexi strat was replaced with a carvin part. I can feel the detents on all 5 positions (though I only use 1 & 5) but I could with the original also, only not as defined.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions