Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the vaquero to yet another field I hunted hunted with the etrac for last five years, last two trips there with the etrac, I could not get any good signals. I was ready to give up on it. This is a no till field so no dirt gets moved around. Perfect test spot for the new vaquero! The 1880 indian was about 6" deep with the large nail right on top of it, had to get aggressive with cleaning to see date. Also got a decent 1874. Man I love this vaquero, lightning fast in iron, these coins just screamed out, nice solid signals.

DSC01073.JPG DSC01074.JPG

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Go Tesoro!!!!

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to hear of your excellent results!

I'm curious what settings you were using on your Vaq. All metal? If you were
on Disc, what level? I assume you were using the stock Vaq coil, but if not,
what coil?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a field where a house was tore down, so all metal would have not been a choice when using a one tone detector. I had it just about the N of iron, which pretty much gives me a silent search until you cross a conductive target, sensitivity was on 10, and was using the only coil I have now for it, the stock coil

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I move Disc up and down depending on how much trash I'm finding.
Sometimes I get so annoyed at all the trash that I move Disc up to just below
the maximum, so I get strong signals from only (almost) quarters, dimes, copper pennies,
and silver. I think I lose a little depth with this setting, but I don't always have
the endurance and patience to do all that digging that a lower Disc setting would
cause. I also generally have Sensitivity set to 9 or 10 unless I'm getting interference
from something, which is rare in the places I detect. Thanks for the info!

--Tom

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's remind the folks that ALL of what Tom just wrote about can be be done in a matter of a seconds on a Tesoro!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are losing depth using TOO MUCH SENSITIVITY!!!! In most soils with the Vaquero, your sensitivity should be no higher than 7. Good luck and happy hunting!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are losing depth using TOO MUCH SENSITIVITY!!!! In most soils with the Vaquero, your sensitivity should be no higher than 7. Good luck and happy hunting!
Just like bright lights in the fog !!!

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a test garden in my backyard and coins are buried at a MEASURED 7.5" coins are on plastic plates to prevent sinking or turning. Coins have been there 4 yrs now. At sensitivity of 7 I get nothing, not even a whisper signal, can't get them till sens is up to 9-10

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a test garden in my backyard and coins are buried at a MEASURED 7.5" coins are on plastic plates to prevent sinking or turning. Coins have been there 4 yrs now. At sensitivity of 7 I get nothing, not even a whisper signal, can't get them till sens is up to 9-10

In All Metal? With disc set to Nickel? Ground balanced properly? Threshold set correctly? Neutural soil? Highly mineralized? As I said "In most soils with the Vaquero, your sensitivity should be no higher than 7." That doesn't mean YOUR results may vary. Many newbies use WAY too much sensitivity and believe that "Super Tuning" will give them more depth when many times it cuts depth by a third.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
disc set to N on iron, GB correctly, soil is is mild minerals

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
disc set to N on iron, GB correctly, soil is is mild minerals

In mild soil you can use more sensitivity, however I would still play around with your threshold settings using less sensitivity and - depending on the age of your machine, possibly consider sending it and your coil back to Tesoro for a tune up. You may also want to experiment using a SLIGHTLY positive ground balance with less sensitivity.

I'm not saying you are wrong about your machine, just making some suggestions based on my experience with the same model through the years in many different environments.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In mild soil you can use more sensitivity, however I would still play around with your threshold settings using less sensitivity and - depending on the age of your machine, possibly consider sending it and your coil back to Tesoro for a tune up. You may also want to experiment using a SLIGHTLY positive ground balance with less sensitivity.

I'm not saying you are wrong about your machine, just making some suggestions based on my experience with the same model through the years in many different environments.
Terry the machine was three weeks old when I got it, I have only had it little lver a week myself

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curious about something. You said no more signals in this field using the Etrac, so I'm assuming you're running at least iron disc which would cause a null. Do you ever use TTF in this spot? And did you dig any just iron targets with the Vaq that sounded just as good as the 2 coins you found next to the nails. I found that with the Vaq there were times I would have bet almost anything I had a good target, even when I thumbed disc all the way up, only to find rusty iron without a trace of a coin.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curious about something. You said no more signals in this field using the Etrac, so I'm assuming you're running at least iron disc which would cause a null. Do you ever use TTF in this spot? And did you dig any just iron targets with the Vaq that sounded just as good as the 2 coins you found next to the nails. I found that with the Vaq there were times I would have bet almost anything I had a good target, even when I thumbed disc all the way up, only to find rusty iron without a trace of a coin.
when using my etrac in fields where homes were tore down the ONLY way I hunt is in TTF, been using the etrac for 5 yrs now and have thousands of hours on it. I average 20 hours a week, so I feel pretty confident in my knowledge of using it. The only iron I dug with vaquero was big iron, no nails.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having such a great detector like the Etrac, what ever made you decide to get a Vaq?

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having such a great detector like the Etrac, what ever made you decide to get a Vaq?
because one detector can't be best at everything! I like trying new things, believe me the etrac is still my go to machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread