having problems with sand shark in the keys

Beach Hunter

Jun 24, 2012
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Tesoro Sand Shark 10' coil Howie Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in marathon florida for a few days, turn on machine in the parking lot of hotel and have no problems. Get to the beach (sombrero beach) and turn on machine and it goes haywire....cant set threshold machine just chatters like crazy. Anyone know if they have some kind of steel mesh under the sand here? tried getting in water and same thing.. not sure what it could be..totally puzzled and pissed. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing that you are in Florida, I don't think its Iron in your soil. This is a small problem for us west coast guys. My guess which I have had on several beaches are Cell towers! They are hidden on the west coast and are directional. I have one beach that I can only hunt one way, when I turn around and come back the other way I get a falsing all the way towards the tower until I get right under it at that point im in the shadow of the tower! Dam cell towers!! Only a problem on my PI machine no problems with the others on the dry sand!
I hope this helps!!

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yelp, cell tower or microwave beam. Turn down the gain (sensitivity) .

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sombrero does have some interference . Also, don't take your own cellphone with you , or have it turned off while detecting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread