Will there be a new Tesoro for 2015?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish Tesoro would keep in contact with folks more frequently. Even just periodically stopping on the forums to say they are working hard on the Cazador. They just don't say anything. Nathan Jaeger doesn't seem to be on the forums near as mud as Alcav was.

Yep, when Robert (Allcav) was here, it made you feel good knowing that he would answer questions about machines, etc... & not leave people in the dark. He told me to PM him regarding my Vaquero & he promptly responded to my message. Good guy who cared about the company. That is a cool thing about the FT sites, Dave Johnson will post sometimes, as will Carl Moreland... It makes you comfortable knowing engineers from the companies actually take the time & care enough to communicate with their customers. Take note Nathan

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coming in late to this, but I have to pitch my thoughts into the whole mess.

I love Tesoros. Notice from my stable that I don't own one. I did. It was awesome. An unassuming simple machine that did everything I asked of it, and never complained. I cant remember which model it was that I had now - the control box hung under the shaft and it was very light. I have a Deus now, so no real desire to spend money for a Tesoro, but gosh darn it I do miss that old detector!

My thoughts are that unless Tesoro does a major revamp of their lineup and draft up some new features and new tech, then they'll go by the wayside. Every detector they have is tech that's at least 20 years old. Its one thing to say - dont fix it if it aint broke, but a company also needs forward movement to survive in an already saturated NICHE market like detecting.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming in late to this, but I have to pitch my thoughts into the whole mess.

I love Tesoros. Notice from my stable that I don't own one. I did. It was awesome. An unassuming simple machine that did everything I asked of it, and never complained. I cant remember which model it was that I had now - the control box hung under the shaft and it was very light. I have a Deus now, so no real desire to spend money for a Tesoro, but gosh darn it I do miss that old detector!

My thoughts are that unless Tesoro does a major revamp of their lineup and draft up some new features and new tech, then they'll go by the wayside. Every detector they have is tech that's at least 20 years old. Its one thing to say - dont fix it if it aint broke, but a company also needs forward movement to survive in an already saturated NICHE market like detecting.

Higgy, I have said the same so many times. Thank you sir! Everytime I do say it some fanboy jumps down my throat. Keep updating products (new QR codes? Wowee!) and keep in touch with your market & customers, or you lose business & fade away. Improvements constantly are being made by all the other companies. There are still innovations being made that make detecting easier & more fun. Some companies even do running production changes to improve current models. If Tesoro plans to stay a 'niche' brand & are not worried about increasing sales, then they are on the right track IMO. Might I take this opportunity to say TNET ROCKS! This is what America is about. Freedom to discuss things without being censored or warned that you are offending a company if you say anything negative. Thanks Mods.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree...I think Tesoro will be fine...they make solid, reliable machines that are very well priced and have the only warranty of its kind. New designs come out everyday yet you still see posts of people choosing between some brand new machine and a tesoro. The silver umax and compadre are still top machines for the entry level market. The Tejon is still a favorite for relic hunters. The "new technology" from minelab and XP is not appealing to me and I am not an "older" detectorist at 33 years old. We make everything to complicated these days and I prefer to keep my hobby simple.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree...I think Tesoro will be fine...they make solid, reliable machines that are very well priced and have the only warranty of its kind. New designs come out everyday yet you still see posts of people choosing between some brand new machine and a tesoro. The silver umax and compadre are still top machines for the entry level market. The Tejon is still a favorite for relic hunters. The "new technology" from minelab and XP is not appealing to me and I am not an "older" detectorist at 33 years old. We make everything to complicated these days and I prefer to keep my hobby simple.
Sure they will survive as a company, but if they do wish to progress then they need to do what the other companies do. Make products more appealing to customers by offering better features, new designs, update the looks, etc... If I were a new detectorist & saw all the different models in a shop, Tesoro would not get my interest at all because compared to the other brands they look like used detectors, or new old stock, because they have the knobs, switches and cosmetics of something made in the 1970's. I notice on ebay, a lot of the used Tesoro's are not even getting bids lately.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure they will survive as a company, but if they do wish to progress then they need to do what the other companies do. Make products more appealing to customers by offering better features, new designs, update the looks, etc... If I were a new detectorist & saw all the different models in a shop, Tesoro would not get my interest at all because compared to the other brands they look like used detectors, or new old stock, because they have the knobs, switches and cosmetics of something made in the 1970's. I notice on ebay, a lot of the used Tesoro's are not even getting bids lately.

Tesoros products appeal to me just fine. The reason I bought a tesoro was for the analogue set up, simplicity, and awesome descrimination. I think if Tesoro went in the direction of the other companies, with digital interfaces, screens, etc... They might actually loose ther customer base. They serve a particular breed of detectoristi and I think they are doing just fine with it.

I had a long ta
K with Rusty not too long ago, he said a new machine is still in the works, he would not say when, but the company had a major loss with the death of Jack Gifford. They are a small company, still family owned, still "made in America" products, and still life time warranties. I think we need to be patient, the Caz will be great when it gets here! In the mean time, I have my I on what I think is a real sleeper... The Outlaw. Rusty told me it is 10% deeper than the Bandito II uMax, has a much better descrimination circuit, and is very stable in the iron. With the three coil package, it is probably the best deal out there. Hoping to find enough stuff this year to buy one for Christmas, or sooner��

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, thats like saying Whites should stop making their metal box detectors.....some may agree but most whites users do not. I think the machines Tesoro are making are great, i like my Garrett machines also but i would be dissappointed if Tesoro started making machines that were "the norm" for today....

I recently deciided to purchase a Tesoro that i plan to use alot. I wanted it to be powered by a single 9v, have manual GB, and a true all-metal mode. I wanted something 10khz or so....and the Outlaw tends to have problems with the Retune button(i know ffrom personal experience) so i went with a discontinued machine, the Eldorado Umax. It has everything i wanted plus an ED180 disc circuit and freq. shift.....i cant wait till it arrives!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, thats like saying Whites should stop making their metal box detectors.....some may agree but most whites users do not. I think the machines Tesoro are making are great, i like my Garrett machines also but i would be dissappointed if Tesoro started making machines that were "the norm" for today....

I recently deciided to purchase a Tesoro that i plan to use alot. I wanted it to be powered by a single 9v, have manual GB, and a true all-metal mode. I wanted something 10khz or so....and the Outlaw tends to have problems with the Retune button(i know ffrom personal experience) so i went with a discontinued machine, the Eldorado Umax. It has everything i wanted plus an ED180 disc circuit and freq. shift.....i cant wait till it arrives!

You said that. I never mentioned White's. IMO (some may disagree) White's is years ahead of Tesoro when it comes to technology, overall design & aesthetics. They actually do come out with new designs & upgrades to existing models. White's digital technology is very forward thinking actually. Bad interpretation of my last post.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, thats like saying Whites should stop making their metal box detectors.....some may agree but most whites users do not.

Dig, abandoning Metal Box Technology is exactly what White's should do. I see you have an AT-Pro and AT-Gold... how well do you think those models would have sold if Garrett had stuck them in a clunky metal box that leaks in the rain? (I'm suddenly getting an image of an old green Master Hunter... ouch.) The top 3 hobby detector brands abandoned Metal Box Technology a long time ago and are now in the Top 3. The people clambering for Metal Box Technology are a lot like the people clambering for analog designs, with knobs and toggle switches and meters... a vanishingly small niche market that can't pay the bills.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig, abandoning Metal Box Technology is exactly what White's should do. I see you have an AT-Pro and AT-Gold... how well do you think those models would have sold if Garrett had stuck them in a clunky metal box that leaks in the rain? (I'm suddenly getting an image of an old green Master Hunter... ouch.) The top 3 hobby detector brands abandoned Metal Box Technology a long time ago and are now in the Top 3. The people clambering for Metal Box Technology are a lot like the people clambering for analog designs, with knobs and toggle switches and meters... a vanishingly small niche market that can't pay the bills.

Like i said....some would agree....but i have read posts by whites users, degrading the mx5 and coinmaster line for their use of plastic parts. And my Garretts are turn on and go machines....no unneeded bunch of programs and settings to dig through.....

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, sounds like you wont be happy until you have to buy virus protection for your metal detector......no thanks.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, sounds like you wont be happy until you have to buy virus protection for your metal detector......no thanks.

Thanks again for putting words in my mouth. I like how the MAJORITY of detectors work these days, regardless of price: Multi-tones, visual ID. My X-Terra 505 & F2 are no more advanced than your AT Pro.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well said sir!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last I checked with Tesoro about a month ago, maybe a little more, they were back ordered on several models. They aren't falling by the wayside. What you have to realize is I don't think they need to compete on the scale of First Texas or Minelab. They are a small profitable company. Not every company wants to be the biggest in the market.

By the way all VLF detectors are 20 year old technology! VLF is VLF, doesn't matter if you are using a micro-processor to analyze and display the information or not, it is still VLF and that is old technology. Many of the Tesoro's do have micro processors in them, instead of using a menu driven display they use analog pots.

I agree it was nice to have Alcav chiming in on the forums. Sometimes he said things he probably shouldn't have and I suspect that is why he is not there anymore. In reality do Garrett, Minelab, Whites, or First Texas reps. chime in on the other forums to give you the inside scoop? Dave J comes on occasionally but usually it is to correct misinformation or offer advice on technical questions etc. So my question is why does Tesoro have to chime in but we don't expect that from other manufacturers?

Also on the Caz., we are all getting anxious and I understand that. Did it ever occur to anyone that a key member of Tesoro family just recently passed away and maybe he was leading the design of that detector? I don't have any inside scoop or know that for sure- just making an observation.

I guess I am a fanboy because I use all Tesoro products. I just feel sometimes we complain because Tesoro is not matching some of the big companies in new menu driven digital displays. Bear in mind they are not as big as the competitors and don't have the engineering resources those big companies do. Even Dave J has chimed in on this on past post and said how long it takes to make changes to an existing product let alone bring a whole new detector to market.

Don't assume they are falling by the wayside, call them and ask them.

MichiganJason

Apr 20, 2007
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike Minelab Xterra 50 Minelab Quattro
My brother just talked to Rusty Henry the other night and told him he would like to buy a Cazador when they come out. Rusty chuckled and said "Well you're going to be waiting a while". As far as other detecting companies stopping by the forums to give updates, 1. They actually have updated websites and Facebook pages where tney do that. 2.They don't ask the public to name their machine and then mute up for two years. 3. They come out with new machines frequently so we aren't left thumbing our cornholes wondering what's going on.

That's fine that you Tesoro tot fanboys like them. We just don't like how you try to silence anyone who thinks Tesoro is a joke. There is an irrational love affair there that I don't understand. I like Tesoro products as well but I'm not so emotionally invested in them that I'm blind to everything else.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother just talked to Rusty Henry the other night and told him he would like to buy a Cazador when they come out. Rusty chuckled and said "Well you're going to be waiting a while". As far as other detecting companies stopping by the forums to give updates, 1. They actually have updated websites and Facebook pages where tney do that. 2.They don't ask the public to name their machine and then mute up for two years. 3. They come out with new machines frequently so we aren't left thumbing our cornholes wondering what's going on.

That's fine that you Tesoro tot fanboys like them. We just don't like how you try to silence anyone who thinks Tesoro is a joke. There is an irrational love affair there that I don't understand. I like Tesoro products as well but I'm not so emotionally invested in them that I'm blind to everything else.

First off, I'm not trying to silence anyone. I just don't understand why everybody has to come over here and bash Tesoro. Really, people aren't on the other forums bashing those brands. It would be one thing to say that Tesoro is going down the tubes or history, IF they had any facts to back that. What good does it do Tesoro to have people come on here and start rumors that can hurt their business with no facts to back it? I don't go to other brand forums and do that because it don't think it is a reasonable thing to do.

And,,,, back to the Cazador. Again, a key member of the Tesoro family has passed away. I suspect he was behind the development of the new Caz. If that was the case, you can bet there are going to be delays, and big ones at that.

Instead of thumbing your cornhole (as you eloquently put it), move on.

MichiganJason

Apr 20, 2007
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
As far as I know, Jack Gifford was retired for quite some time so I personally doubt that is the reason for the molasses like production from the company. Rainy you know for a fact, if you're being honest with yourself, that you can't say the slightest negative thing about Tesoro on findmall withoutTabman the Tyrant running his pickle kisser. Brainwashed to the core, a person get misinformation because of the love affair some of you have with Tesoro.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I have used a sand shark for over to years. I hunt pretty hard core and the sand shark is a very rugged machine. Not to mention that it gets very deep whispers. I have enjoyed using thia machine. I recommend this as a top pi choice detector.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as I know, Jack Gifford was retired for quite some time so I personally doubt that is the reason for the molasses like production from the company. Rainy you know for a fact, if you're being honest with yourself, that you can't say the slightest negative thing about Tesoro on findmall withoutTabman the Tyrant running his pickle kisser. Brainwashed to the core, a person get misinformation because of the love affair some of you have with Tesoro.

I understand what you are saying. Maybe I am just getting tired of all the Caz bashing. Over a year ago when I asked Tesoro about the Caz they said Jack was working on the design. If that was the case, I suspect delays are going to be long. Like I said, I understand what you are saying about getting jumped on for saying anything negative. I guess from my point of view, I just understand why people come onto a forum just bash a brand. Heck, the AT Pro is not my favorite detector, but I don't go on that forum and bash. I guess what bothers me is I don't see that happening on the other brand forums. I guess it is what it is.

So,,,, reading this and your comments, you are right, maybe we do get a little to defensive. My first post above was not made to be a fanboy post, I was more trying to ask questions- why? Sorry if I came off sounding wrong.

Looking at your detector line up I am surprised you do not have a water detector with all those beautiful beaches up by you. I smell gold rings in the sand every time I ride by them!

MichiganJason

Apr 20, 2007
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
A couple buddies of mine hunt the water and have found a few decent things but our population is so small here you aren't going to be finding a ton of stuff. I didn't want to lay out that kind of cash for maybe a gold ring or two a season which is about what they find. I prefer old coin hunting anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread