Tesoro Sand Shark - technical specs

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rudy(CA)

Sep 24, 2004
Terry, I worked for White's, and now work for First Texas. What algeus is talking about is perfectly legit and routine. Any detector with a microprocessor is required, at a minimum, to be tested for radiation emissions and have an FCC Declaration of Conformity. If the TX runs over 9kHz, they have to be tested as an intentional radiator. If they are exported, there are additional certifications required, like CE.

The manufacturer is required to have the paperwork (certs & test results) on file and available. It may be that the Sandshark has never been sold for export, so it may not have a CE certificate, but Tesoro should have at least an FCC DoC. It sounds like that's all Israeli Customs was asking for. The whole thing should have been resolved in 2 emails.

algeus, UL has nothing to do with this. UL listing is normally associated with dangerously high voltages/currents, such as things that get plugged into a wall outlet. I don't know of any hand-held battery-operated detectors that are UL-listed.

At last, a word of informed sanity.

Thanks Carl. Did you move from Oregon to Texas?

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
algeus, is your Sandshark still stuck in customs? I'm gonna try to contact Tesoro myself and see if we can either get a DoC, or come up with another plan. Sorry for all the grief you're getting here.

Carl,
Thank you for willingness to help - I really appreciate it. It's still in the Customs, but as stated above,now I have EC DoC for the machine and really hope it will be sufficient and no FCC DoC will be required(still waiting for Customs feedback).
In case I will have further issues(and there is a good chance I will,as I was already asked questions about the product I could not answer like - "what is the pulse rise time?") I will be more than happy to ask for your help here.

Thanks again:)!

Alex

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
algeus, is your Sandshark still stuck in customs? I'm gonna try to contact Tesoro myself and see if we can either get a DoC, or come up with another plan. Sorry for all the grief you're getting here.

Carl, you are a scholar & a gentleman.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

thats the spirit carl. this is what a forum should be about. though im not against a bit of controversy at times. it is good for business, government, sports teams, etc. however, it should not get personal. if someone is having difficulties and asks for assistance. they should not be told that they are stirring up trouble. things that are coming up out in the field should be brought up, discussed, and to the companies attention. it is what will make a good company better.

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for you help and support.
Special thanks to Terry I learned a couple of new idioms ("duck on a junebug"!:icon_thumright: ) from.

Today I eventually got my Sand Shark released from the Customs - yes,CE DoC was sufficient eventually,and no additional questions were asked.I'm a happy metal detectorist! Can't wait to start playing with it...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are headed to the closest beach with activity! It has to be a gold mine if it's this much trouble getting a detector over there.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Special thanks to Terry I learned a couple of new idioms ("duck on a junebug"!:icon_thumright: ) from.

Today I eventually got my Sand Shark released from the Customs - yes,CE DoC was sufficient eventually,and no additional questions were asked.I'm a happy metal detectorist! Can't wait to start playing with it...

So that was a good scheme algeus, you actually followed through and made up a good ending! I bet Terry never expected that to be part of your smear campaign against Tesoro, lol. Good luck with the Shark, hope it finds you some gold!

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that was a good scheme algeus, you actually followed through and made up a good ending! I bet Terry never expected that to be part of your smear campaign against Tesoro, lol. Good luck with the Shark, hope it finds you some gold!

:)))

Thank you!Yes,the original plan was to pretend I never got the machine(I never ordered of course according to Terry), and to write here an angry post with a lot of CAPS condemning Tesoro way of providing service:).

Opened the box yesterday, and really like the noise the machine makes(cat meow like). Hope from now I will have to write only praises to it and Tesoro design.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:)))

Thank you!Yes,the original plan was to pretend I never got the machine(I never ordered of course according to Terry), and to write here an angry post with a lot of CAPS condemning Tesoro way of providing service:).

Opened the box yesterday, and really like the noise the machine makes(cat meow like). Hope from now I will have to write only praises to it and Tesoro design.

Keep us posted al. I wish you luck, sorry you had to deal with (well, you know), when all you wanted was some info. Happy hunting!

Rudy(CA)

Sep 24, 2004

Great news! Now get out there and find some jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread