Tesoro Sand Shark - technical specs

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I'm waiting to my new machine to arrive, I had a pleasant conversation with our local Customs, that were very excited to find out I'm going to import a PI metal detector.
I was asked about the sinus waves of the PI, the pulse rise time parameters and a lot of additional information I couldn't provide, as I have no technical specs of the machine. Tesoro support team was very helpful and suggested to contact Mr.Henry Rusty, but didn't provide any contact details of him...

So,I would be really happy if someone could direct me either to some technical specs of this machine or provide me the contact details of Mr.Henry(Or it's Mr.Rusty:)? ).

Thank you!

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
His first name is Rusty. His last name is Henry.

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His first name is Rusty. His last name is Henry.

Well,I've received a mail from Rusty, and it looks like he is not able to help me either:(.
The only technical detail I have regarding the Sand Shark machine I'm trying to import is that it's working 600ppm. I'm required to provide some more technical info(e.g. certifications of the device + pulse strength) to our Customs and looks like I have nobody to speak with on this point. And it's not like I'm willing to get some "secret formula" - I just need and answer on some simple technical questions/certs of the machine...

Maybe Tesoro was not the best choice after all...

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Operating Frequency 600 pps
Searchcoil Type Printed Spiral
Searchcoil Size 8 inch Diameter
Audio Frequency Approx. 220-450 Hz
Audio Output Stereo Piezo Headphones
Weight (may vary slightly) Less than 4½ lbs.
Battery Requirement (8) AA DC (alkaline)
Battery Life (typical) 10 to 20 hours
Optimum Temperature Range 30° to 100° F
Optimum Humidity 0 to 75% R.H.
Operating Modes VCO Motion All Metal
Adjustable Audio Frequency All Metal
Maximum Depth Rating 200 ft. this is all they have on it in the manual that comes with it. customs is pretty strict there. you are just bringing in a metal detector, not a rocket. no one else in that country has a P.I. metal detector made in the U.S.? well, good luck to you..

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Operating Frequency 600 pps
Searchcoil Type Printed Spiral
Searchcoil Size 8 inch Diameter
Audio Frequency Approx. 220-450 Hz
Audio Output Stereo Piezo Headphones
Weight (may vary slightly) Less than 4½ lbs.
Battery Requirement (8) AA DC (alkaline)
Battery Life (typical) 10 to 20 hours
Optimum Temperature Range 30° to 100° F
Optimum Humidity 0 to 75% R.H.
Operating Modes VCO Motion All Metal
Adjustable Audio Frequency All Metal
Maximum Depth Rating 200 ft. this is all they have on it in the manual that comes with it. customs is pretty strict there. you are just bringing in a metal detector, not a rocket. no one else in that country has a P.I. metal detector made in the U.S.? well, good luck to you..

Hi,

Yes,that's all I have too.
The hobby in Israel is not very developed (fortunately and unfortunately:)) and the most common brand AFAIK is Garrett. I know there are some Tesoro detectors here and there, but not sure they passed the Customs on their way in:).

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A huge disappointment so far.
There is nobody in Tesoro to provide me answers to some basic questions(e.g. "Are you FCC certified?"). My new detector is just stuck in the Customs, while I'm just unable to provide any FCC/UL certs to them.My recent emails to Tesoro support simply being ignored...:(
It's a pity that a respectful company is choosing to behave that way,but well,it looks that my first experience with them is going to be the last on this stage.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
customs will not open up the package and inspect it to see that it is just a detector? i think it is a pity for a country to behave that way towards their citizens. maybe get yourself an attorney to get it sorted out.

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
customs will not open up the package and inspect it to see that it is just a detector? i think it is a pity for a country to behave that way towards their citizens. maybe get yourself an attorney to get it sorted out.

In Israel, you can not just import a transmitting device without a special permission from a Ministry of Communications. It makes some sense when we are talking about WLAN routers for example,but this is not a case.
Anyway, the bottom line is that they would like to make sure I'm not importing some non-certified equipment into the country, and in most cases showing USA FCC certs is enough. So Garrett have their FCC certs, Minelab too. Now,I'm on a quest to get some official response from Tesoro...

Maybe somebody who owns Tesoro could look into the manuals that comes with the machines to check whether the FCC/UL/any other certs mentioned there?Really grateful will I be.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A huge disappointment so far.
There is nobody in Tesoro to provide me answers to some basic questions(e.g. "Are you FCC certified?"). My new detector is just stuck in the Customs, while I'm just unable to provide any FCC/UL certs to them.My recent emails to Tesoro support simply being ignored...:(
It's a pity that a respectful company is choosing to behave that way,but well,it looks that my first experience with them is going to be the last on this stage.

I would stop blaming Tesoro, and ask myself why I didn't check with my country's import requirements BEFORE I tried to import an electronic instrument that is so closely associated with recovering antiquities. All of the information needed by customs is in the owners manual. If YOU can't explain what you are going to do with the metal detector to your customs agents, that is NOT Tesoro's fault. I say YOU are the one that messed up and Tesoro has NO further responsibility in this matter.
Israel - The Antiquities Act 1978, Section 9a states that `no person shall excavate in a private property for the purpose of discovering antiquities, nor search for antiquities in any other manner, including the use of metal detectors, nor gather antiquities unless he has received a licence for such from the Director. Breach of this section carries a liability to imprisonment for a term of 3 years or a fine of =A3150,000'. Section 38 of the same Act states that `any person found on an antiquity site, in whose possession or in whose immediate vicinity are found excavation tools and it can be assumed that they were recently used in excavation work at the site, or in whose possession or in whose immediate vicinity is found a metal detector, is presumed to have intended to discover antiquities unless he proves that he has no such intention.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you can't have any detector anyway?

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another reminder of how good we have it!

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would stop blaming Tesoro, and ask myself why I didn't check with my country's import requirements BEFORE I tried to import an electronic instrument that is so closely associated with recovering antiquities. All of the information needed by customs is in the owners manual. If YOU can't explain what you are going to do with the metal detector to your customs agents, that is NOT Tesoro's fault. I say YOU are the one that messed up and Tesoro has NO further responsibility in this matter.
Israel - The Antiquities Act 1978, Section 9a states that `no person shall excavate in a private property for the purpose of discovering antiquities, nor search for antiquities in any other manner, including the use of metal detectors, nor gather antiquities unless he has received a licence for such from the Director. Breach of this section carries a liability to imprisonment for a term of 3 years or a fine of =A3150,000'. Section 38 of the same Act states that `any person found on an antiquity site, in whose possession or in whose immediate vicinity are found excavation tools and it can be assumed that they were recently used in excavation work at the site, or in whose possession or in whose immediate vicinity is found a metal detector, is presumed to have intended to discover antiquities unless he proves that he has no such intention.

Couple of things :

1."I would stop blaming Tesoro, and ask myself why I didn't check with my country's import requirements BEFORE I tried to import an electronic instrument that is so closely associated with recovering antiquities. All of the information needed by customs is in the owners manual. If YOU can't explain what you are going to do with the metal detector to your customs agents, that is NOT Tesoro's fault. I say YOU are the one that messed up and Tesoro has NO further responsibility in this matter."

Actually I did check that. It's not the first detector I'm importing, and I know more or less what I would need to present. The issue is that our Customs are quite unpredictable on that. They can give you a permission on some machine,and ask you for more info on the other. In this particular case,all I need is some USA/EU certificate. So simple. It can be found for other vendors I've imported and I NEVER had any issue with that.Never.I have my Garrett ACE 250 here,FCC certified and imported to Israel without a single issue.
So am I the one who messed up? I don't think so.
I'm now simply in a situation in which I need the vendors help,and I'm not getting it. Don't need any "secret formula" or something like that.Just a short feedback from the support.Yes,we do have a certifications to show you/No,we don't have it.

"Israel - The Antiquities Act 1978, Section 9a states that `no person shall excavate in a private property for the purpose of discovering antiquities, nor search for antiquities in any other manner, including the use of metal detectors, nor gather antiquities unless he has received a licence for such from the Director. Breach of this section carries a liability to imprisonment for a term of 3 years...."

Thank you for informing me about my country's laws. Why are you doing that?:) Why do you think I need to explain to the Customs agent the purpose of the detector import? Nothing like that sir.I was only asked to provide certs.And that is what I'm asking Tesoro to help me with. Now,let me explain couple of things about our local laws. One CAN import metal detector to Israel.No explanation needed. One CAN use it in Israel, just not within archeological sites, and not gathering antiquities with that. I and many others are using and importing it happily.

I understand you want to "protect" Tesoro, but really hope you are not doing it for money,as you are not doing a good job sir.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you can't have any detector anyway?

Nah. You are most welcome to come to Israel and check some of our beaches here. These that are not proclaimed as an archeological sites at least:).

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the beaches are heavily loaded with very expensive loot! Hope you get your Shark out of jail!

OP
OP
A

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just looking at this on another forum! Wow!

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, i have a vaquero and looked through the manual. nothing about fcc or ul in it. they sell tesoros in europe also. is there a metal detector dealer that could possibly assist you?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the people asking do not know the answer, you are free to make something up that sounds reasonable.

They won't know the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread