May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

larox

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
If it's a good deal go for it. You can add other coils later. In the mean time you've got a discontinued machine that is just starting to be apreseated for what it can do.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a "deal" ill be over paying at least $100 over a stock eBay unit but it's local, I've been eying these for 6 months, I guess I can try to find a stock coil. But they're scarce.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
It will not affect the notch feature. I use DD's with my Golden and especially with the cleansweep, the notch feature works very well. I use the 11" DD as well.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All manufactures "stock" coils are a compromises.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Just to add: The notch feature will always work with any coil, you just need to know what's happening. The 11" DD for example won't be able to disc out bottletops completely, and it won't be able to notch them out either completely. This is because bottletops have ferrous and a high conductive metals in them. Large DD coils disc out the ferrous but see the non-ferrous.

Small DD coils don't see the non-ferrous part of the bottletop for some reason and disc out the whole conductive range of the bottletop. For large DD coils, this is a good thing, a really good thing especially on the Golden. It means you can hunt with the disc all the way down and identify items by pitch better so you can go for the deeper stuff, just takes a little getting used to but it's really easy. For small DD coils that disc out ferrous junk even if they're mixed with non-ferrous metals, this is also a good thing because you won't be seeing ferrous junk at all... it all depends on knowing what you're using, then it's a win/win.

Why am I explaining this? Because you asked about the notch feature relating to the 8" inch DD. I haven't had the 8" DD but have had various other DD's. I don't know if the Golden will see the 8" DD as a small coil or a big one, I wouldn't worry because either way, once you learn what's going on you can ignore junk.

Just to clarify if you're confused: The notch feature will work always, it's the targets that will make it act differently from coil to coil. The only real issue with this are bottletops... if you don't know what you're doing. From what I hear the 8" DD is an outstanding could btw, and the golden is an outstanding machine, I would get it knowing what I know especially since it comes with a better coil that the stock. Any coil is better that that 8x9!

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector wars, I appreciate all info always. Thank you and everyone else. Hopefully we wrap it up today. Tesoros are taking over my house 1 minelab at a time lol.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detector wars, I appreciate all info always. Thank you and everyone else. Hopefully we wrap it up today. Tesoros are taking over my house 1 minelab at a time lol.

There is something to be said about "simple, efficient, and cost effective". It's easy to own more than one Tesoro.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made an offer of a like new Xterra 305, Whites MXT, a well used lesche, soft cases for both of my machines, a Jimmy Sierra sand scoop, medium duty, and a Garrett PP that needs a New button. and a set of old Koss phones. I asked for what I listed above plus a big foot style coil he has. I can't find much on depth on these but WHAT depth are you guys getting consistabtly? How deep will it hit a nickel before skill/sound takes over? Am I right in assuming depth is similar to a sens pot adjusted compadre?

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got is. Xterra 305, a light duty sand scoop and $190.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I can't find much on depth on these but WHAT depth are you guys getting consistabtly? How deep will it hit a nickel before skill/sound takes over? Am I right in assuming depth is similar to a sens pot adjusted compadre?

Unfortunately you have to mod on a turn knob or turn the trim pot yourself. I have done that mod and I can tell you that Ground Balance position does make a difference in depth. Sens, not so much, hardly at all. I have also modded my Compadre with both GB and Sens. The Sens mod was needless, you could have it at 10 (which seems to be the factory default position) and leave it there forever.

Now, the good news is if you're only using small coils on either the Golden or the Compadre, you can just turn the GB trimmer pot with a screw, turn it all the way to one end (negative or positive, I can't remember), and you're always going to get the maximum depth. The only exception is if you come across negative ground like wet sand at the beach. Otherwise at parks with small coils, you only need one GB setting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread