what makes the compare so good with jewelry?

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what makes the compadre so good with jewelry?

Hello this is my first post in Tesoro land, and i was just wondering what's so special with the compadre ? What makes it such a purported jewelry magnet? I've detected for 20 years now with mainly whites and I've been reading the posts and it has me curious. I know it has to be there to find it of course. I mainly use my idx pro and my mxt pro. I only noted my detectors used for reference I'm not comparing or looking for comparisons. I like my machines very much but see a very Simple easy to use machine I would like to learn more about. Lastly for what its worth some ground I hunt reads as high as 84 would that affect the compadre?

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is I own the XP Deus, At Pro, Vaquero and compadre. When I take out the compadre I dont feel I am using an inferior detector. Strange little unit, seems to find lots of treasure and is so much fun to use. Disc on the Compadre is top notch IMO. When I set it to the N in iron or F in foil and just start hunting and dig all repeatable hits from left to right and forward to back it seems more often than not a good item. Cant really explain it. the thing is a treasure magnet,.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think because it has no screen, to find the goods you dig trash. With the compadre it's good at sorting trash. If that makes sense. Second for the price it hangs with triple the price detectors on nickels,

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Ultra sensitivity.
I found a banging signal my first time out with my 7" coil model and even my Propointer had to be touching it to set it off.
It was one lone bead from a chain the size that comes on a nail clipper.

Just recently I found this tiny and extremely thin silver ring in a trashy park and it was surrounded by garbage.
(Pic shows it sitting on a dime for size comparison).
It hit on this thing like it was a half dollar all by itself in the middle of nowhere...the target separation is that good.

True 180 degree Expanded Discrimination, (ED).
With that knob down to all metal this thing is actually in and accepts all metal...in disc.

This is the best chain sniffer I have ever swung.
It hits on this 14k clasp off the smallest and thinnest gold chain I have ever held in my hands, and I have found tons of silver chains in all sizes from tiny, (that was gone at the O in iron), to large...effortlessly.

Swing at the exact right speed and this thing will double beep on any target near, next to, or even leaning on big iron like in tot lots, fence posts and bench legs.
Triple beep if the target is shallow, one for the target and 2 as each edge of the coil passes over it.
I even found a coin 3" directly under a large thick metal step on some tot lot equipment once.
My tot lots around me are unusually clean, they are being scoured by the competition.
I still find tons of coins and jewelry within 2" and next to the big iron that nobody else even suspects is there because for this thing doing this task is also effortless.
I found a Loony actually leaning on a huge iron leg in one tot lot 4" down one time.
All it takes is one gold ring found in sites like these and that will pay for the unit...or a few.
Here is a vid I did using a borrowed 8" coil unit but they all will do this the same way.
Nothing, no other detector on the market can come close to doing this in this way, this easily and this efficiently.
NOTHING!
Believe me I have tried with other detectors, coils and setting combinations.

It works great in my almost perfect soil here in Kansas, but I used it for a couple years in Birmingham Ala. where I was when I bought it.
The severe mineralization and extra bonus of tiny bits of iron infused into most of the soil in that area of the country limited depth on every and all VHF units.
All were on an even playing field and got pretty much the same pitiful depth but the Compadre held its own in that horrible dirt and worked as well as described here and as deep as any other detector did in that environment.

I bought mine for $130 used and have only used it part time since I had it.
I have found over 10X's its cost in clad and silver and gold jewelry since I bought it.

Attachments

• clipper bead.jpg
    clipper bead.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 121
  • thin silver.jpg
    thin silver.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 110
  • tiny clasp gold.jpg
    tiny clasp gold.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 117
  • small chain o in iron.jpg
    small chain o in iron.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
OP
OP
farmerboy856

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank for excellent and informative replys! And thank you for showing some amazing jewelry finds as well! I would have to try one first but to my brain I don't know if I would care for thumbing a disc knob? That is not a cut on what is well proven to be a great machine. My first 3 machines were beep and dig, and I enjoyed them and found a lot of nice finds. Can you set the disc and just listen to machine? Not tones but listen for good crisp full signals like my old whites classic 3, it was like a dog barking to me once I got used to it could tell if the dog was hungry wanted in or out wanted to play or was letting me know someone just pulled in. Where when I started I felt like the neighbor and all the stupid dog did was bark lol. I got to where it was fun listening what the machine was telling me, anyways can a compadre be set to knock out nails and then let it talk away? Or is there well it beep the same on every target not diced out?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Plenty hunt that way, set it at any level like to disc out hair pins in a tot lot, or nails in an iron infested site and dig all that beeps above those levels...and it will beep on those metal targets not disced out.
I find doing it this way would drive me crazy so I never do it...but that's me.
Thumbing that knob gives me more information on targets than you might ever believe by listening to how that signal comes in after I thumb past the fade out point, and helps me avoid digging about 85-90% of the trash I come across.
I still seem to be able to find more than my share of great targets doing it this way and I have gotten extremely fast and efficient using this technique for so long.
There are some other methods that help figure out targets like swinging the coil quickly over targets without thumbing and of course one you learn the differences the sounds and tones can tell you much, also.
By that I mean those good, crisp signals you mentioned, but several targets including trash tend to have their own recognizable sounds once you learn the language.
Still, I use those in combination with my thumbing and ultimately spend way less energy and time digging bad targets which leaves more to spend looking for and digging good targets.
I believe this is true, anyway, and those beliefs go a long way in helping me not worry about the "what ifs" and results in much better and fun hunts...for me.
Again, that is my way of doing it and many, many others just set it and dig most everything that beeps or passes those other tests and are supremely happy and satisfied doing it that way.
There is no right way to hunt with Tesoros, just many varied and different ways and each hunter eventually finds their favorite and settles into that and they all seem to work pretty well for all of us as different as we are.

Last edited:

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty hunt that way, set it at any level like to disc out hair pins in a tot lot, or nails in an iron infested site and dig all that beeps above those levels...and it will beep on those metal targets not disced out.
I find doing it this way would drive me crazy so I never do it...but that's me.
Thumbing that knob gives me more information on targets than you might ever believe by listening to how that signal comes in after I thumb past the fade out point, and helps me avoid digging about 85-90% of the trash I come across.
I still seem to be able to find more than my share of great targets doing it this way and I have gotten extremely fast and efficient using this technique for so long.
There are some other methods that help figure out targets like swinging the coil quickly over targets without thumbing and of course one you learn the differences the sounds and tones can tell you much, also.
Still, I use those in combination with my thumbing and ultimately spend way less energy and time digging bad targets which leaves more to spend looking for and digging good targets.
I believe this is true, anyway, and those beliefs go a long way in helping me not worry about the "what ifs" and results in much better and fun hunts...for me.
Again, that is my way of doing it and many, many others just set it and dig most everything that beeps or passes those other tests and are supremely happy and satisfied doing it that way.
There is no right way to hunt with Tesoros, just many varied and different ways and each hunter eventually finds their favorite and settles into that and they all seem to work pretty well for all of us as different as we are.

Thanks for all the info you share with us on here digger27.
Ive got a question. Has anyone marked the center of there coil or made a cross on the top with a sticker or tape? Just for better sight of the center of the coil.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Many do, but pinpointing by Xing, or the way I do it with short and quick side to side swipes, is so laser-like in its precision with any coil that eventually it becomes second nature to home in on the target by just watching the coil and listening to the beeps, even without coil markers.
By homing in I mean to pretty much the exact area at just about any depth.
This is just something you have to experience to really understand and appreciate.
Read just about any post describing acqureing targets by Tesoro users using just about any model and not many ever mention using the pinpoint button on models that have them.
There is a good reason for that.
I also have a Vaquero and unless the target is very deep I rarely have ever used that pinpoint feature on mine except on my first few hunts because it wasn't all that necessary after I realized this and just wastes time in my mind.

Last edited:

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many do, but pinpointing by Xing, or the way I do it with short and quick side to side swipes, is so laser-like in its precision with any coil that eventually it becomes second nature to home in on the target by just watching the coil and listening to the beeps, even without coil markers.
By homing in I mean to pretty much the exact area at just about any depth.
This is just something you have to experience to really understand and appreciate.
Read just about any post describing acqureing targets by Tesoro users using just about any model and not many ever mention using the pinpoint button on models that have them.
There is a good reason for that.
I also have a Vaquero and unless the target is very deep I rarely have ever used that pinpoint feature on mine because it isn't all that necessary and just wastes time in my mind.

I hear you. Im just bored and its winter here. I hate looking at the white coil and my tesoro sticker is crocked a little on the coil. drives me nuts. I just want something more appealing to look at. And I need a project. LOL

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A small colored sticker right in the middle could be helpful till you get comfortable with pinpointing, plus it will dress up the Compadre a bit and make it look cool, too.:laughing7:

Maybe a neat little lightning bolt since this thing is so fast just like the Flash.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm got me thinking now!! lol

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used