Need some advice for good detectors

gbl

Mar 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I'm new here, so: Hi! and thanks for helping me out.
I'm not entirely new to metal detecting, years ago I had a Bounty Hunter (can't remember the model now). The only things I ever found with it was an earring my mother lost in a field and a fishing weight. The detector worked sometimes and sometimes ignored coins even in air tests. Back then I cheaped out and I think it threw me off the hobby a bit.

My wife and I enjoy hiking and be out and we thought it would be fun to get into the hobby. I would like to try nugget hunting foremost, but I also hunt for stuff in a park once in a while. My wife is totally new to detecting and would like to try it. We have a budget of $1000 for two machines.
We support North American business, so Tesoro would be my first choice. I think the machine for my wife would be the Tesoro Compadre. I read nothing but good things about it. Would you agree?

For myself, I'm leaning towards the Lobo Supertraq, it looks to be a great machine and I like the Auto ground balancing. But in the price range there is quite a bit of choice, like the Deleon or even the Cortes, but I wonder if those are too much machine for me.
How are the Deleon or Cortes for Nugget hunting? I read that the Supertraq is a versatile machine, primarily made for Gold hunting, but very usable for other detecting as well. What are your experiences?

Sorry for the long intro and thanks in advance!
Herb

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the fisher gold bug 2,s are rated tops and you can pick them up used for 3 or 400 bucks each.for gold you wont be dissapointed

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi GBL, I have been a Tesoro user for many years, and have the Stingray and Cortes. I have ordered a Sand Shark, (a month ago, still waiting) as my main iterest is in beach and water hunting. I am considering a Vaquero, for one of my lady's grandkids. not because I consider it a kids machine, but because I think its a mistake to buy an el cheapo machine for for someone who is just learning the hobby, could give them the wrong impression when it only seems to pick up bright metal objects on the surface. The Stingray has paid for itself many times over, and the Cortes has also paid for itself. I have no experience with the Lobo, so I will leave that up to the other more experienced guys on here. No matter which Tesoro you get, you can be assured you will get heaps of help from experienced operators on here. Welcome to the forum.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Bug Pro (not the 2) if you ever want to do anything besides nugget hunt. The Tesoro Lobo Suoer track would work well also.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.PNG The better choice for your wife would be the Cibola as it has a great pinpoint so she will be able to retrieve the target quickly. Tesoro Electronics Cibola | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine
Your choice is fine with the Super Lobo and there are many coils for both detectors.

OP
OP
G

gbl

Mar 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the responses. I was looking at the Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug 2. I read somewhere that the Gold Bug 2 is to sensitive for somebody not as experienced and I would have to ground balance a lot. I will read up a bit more about the Gold Bug Pro.
@Sandman: I will check the Cibola out and talk to my wife. We will see if that would fit in our budget.

Another question: Are the coils for the Tesoros waterproof? E.g. Could I use it in shallow water?

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kellyco has a great website for looking at and comparing detectors. yes, tesoro coils are waterproof. but i never use my vaquero to close to water. one mistake and the control box gets a dousing. will be an expensive day of detecting.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scotter beat me to it. Gold Bug 2. Eurotech, f19, if you want just onexnachine I suggest T2.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with sandman on the Cibola for your wife although an Outlaw or Silver umax would be decent choices as well. For gold the Lobo Super Trac is by far the best choice in the Tesoro line for nugget shooting and it is compatible with the coils that fit the Cibola as well as being a good detector for coins etc.
luvsdux

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe your wife would benefit more from something like a Garrett Ace 250 over the Compadre if she hasn't detected much. That would leave you with about 80% of the budget for a decent gold machine. I am not a gold hunter but will leave that to my friends here that are. As far as the Deleon, it's a great machine for coins and jewelry, not the deepest of the Tesoro's though at about 7-8", and it has no ground balance feature.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a Tesoro thread, and I like Tesoro. But the machines I would look at are the Garrett AT gold or Fisher f19 for you and the Teknetics eurotek pro for your wife. This would be right in your price range.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi

I f I was starting in the hobby and wanted to buy two detectors, I would make sure the two units would be able to swap coils.

Very important. The Goldbug (new model with dual processor) with the 5"DD coil for nugget hunting, the Eurotek pro w/ 11" DD coil combo for general hunting. You can swap coils, so the 5" could be used on the Eurotek for trashy sites, and the 11" DD on the Goldbug for general hunting.

In the case of adding coils later (13" Ulrimate, or other), one purchase would suit both detectors.

Just my two (euro)cents, I have that combo and it works great for me.

I' a big fan of Tesoro, and would recommend the Lobo if it was a "one-detector" purchase, but in this case you can expand the possibilities of both detectors for the same cost, and save on future coils upgrades.

HH

Grumpy

Last edited:

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
I've had my Vaquero for years and will never let it go. I have other machines but the Vaquero is so easy to use. I let friends use it and it has even done well in the desert. Great machine

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was told they are and the Tesoro's are the only ones that have a LIFETIME gaurantee

Yes but if you do not like the way a Tesoro works, the guarantee is good for squat, and resale value ain't great. I would look into the Teknetics Omega, or the EuroTek Pro. Or the new F44 from Fisher. Weatherproof, backlit, adjustable iron volume. Looks like a great new machine. You don't have to use the features availble to you but at least you have them if you ever want to. Not the case with Tesoro. One tone, no display, no other info.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but if you do not like the way a Tesoro works, the guarantee is good for squat, and resale value ain't great. I would look into the Teknetics Omega, or the EuroTek Pro. Or the new F44 from Fisher. Weatherproof, backlit, adjustable iron volume. Looks like a great new machine. You don't have to use the features availble to you but at least you have them if you ever want to. Not the case with Tesoro. One tone, no display, no other info.

I think your on to something a money back guarantee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread