Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i bought the vaquero for my first detector. had no problems. thought it would be good to learn with that style detector. plus it has everything i read to have on it. manual GB, threshold, etc. may take a bit more time to learn. but, i think you will learn better. i suggest it to all that ask what to buy for a first one. that way they will have no need to upgrade anytime soon, or ever. afterwards, if they do get a readout unit. it will be a bonus to have it. think it would be harder to learn on a display, multi tone unit. then go to a single tone, no display one. my opinion anyhow.

I'm glad you learned with the Vaq. It is a good deep machine. Like woodknack said, Tesoro does make two detectors with digital interfaces. I had the Deleon. It was a nice machine. Take it out hunting and the display would tell me the difference between a nickel and a pull tab. Since these two targets are very close in the conductivity spectrum, the difference between 33 and 36 is a lot easier to differentiate than thumbing the disc knob and listening for a broken sound. In this respect, unless you have mind melded with your Tesoro, the VID will benefit a new comer with a chance to dig more nickels than pull tabs. With my Bandido 2 and Compadre, I did dig a lot of stuff. But the Deleon had a better treasure to trash ratio "because" of the VID.

It takes time to learn any detectors language. I am working on my LRP now. And once I know it's language, I stand a good chance of blowing away a Vaq user who doesn't know theirs. Like Dave J says, there are many variables that the detecting field has to work with. A detector is only as good as the operator behind it. Anyone can hear a beep and dig.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad you learned with the Vaq. It is a good deep machine. Like woodknack said, Tesoro does make two detectors with digital interfaces. I had the Deleon. It was a nice machine. Take it out hunting and the display would tell me the difference between a nickel and a pull tab. Since these two targets are very close in the conductivity spectrum, the difference between 33 and 36 is a lot easier to differentiate than thumbing the disc knob and listening for a broken sound. In this respect, unless you have mind melded with your Tesoro, the VID will benefit a new comer with a chance to dig more nickels than pull tabs. With my Bandido 2 and Compadre, I did dig a lot of stuff. But the Deleon had a better treasure to trash ratio "because" of the VID.

It takes time to learn any detectors language. I am working on my LRP now. And once I know it's language, I stand a good chance of blowing away a Vaq user who doesn't know theirs. Like Dave J says, there are many variables that the detecting field has to work with. A detector is only as good as the operator behind it. Anyone can hear a beep and dig.

i dont to bad with it. between the way the tone sounds and where it discs out at. i can most times guess what it is. due to weather, have not been out since late october. so im out of practice. when i was looking to get one. i would have got a deleon. but with no manual GB and the cortes has it only in disc mode (which i dont understand why tesoro did that). i chose the vaq and am happy with it.

OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be talking to Rusty over at Tesoro tonight after work. I will explain my plan of use for whatever detector I go with. That way I get to talk to someone who can guide me as to what model will work best for me. I will then have it narrowed down to that Tesoro model and the Garrett AT Pro.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be talking to Rusty over at Tesoro tonight after work. I will explain my plan of use for whatever detector I go with. That way I get to talk to someone who can guide me as to what model will work best for me. I will then have it narrowed down to that Tesoro model and the Garrett AT Pro.

If you talk to Rusty, I am sure he will point you toward the AT Pro, after all he is paid by Tesoro! In the interest of fairness, maybe you could call Garrett & ask their opinion too? JMHO

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you talk to Rusty, I am sure he will point you toward the AT Pro, after all he is paid by Tesoro! In the interest of fairness, maybe you could call Garrett & ask their opinion too? JMHO

It really doesn't matter who he talks to. He is going to get a different answer every time. Thats why I said, "follow your heart buy what you like!" They all work. If he buys what he has his heart set on, then he will take the time to learn it. If he buys what everyone else tells him to buy because they have one or think its the best, he may not even like it after he gets it and plays around with it. Then he will be in the hole more money because he will then want the original detector he was looking at in the first place.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Thank you! I'll be here all week!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm already leaning towards the Tesoro. I'm not sure what one but that Garrett AT Pro and many of the other metal detectors just seem like too much work to learn. They appear to be an adjusting nightmare and I know from my Whites that I used for a while with a screen it drove me nuts! That thing was right about iron but fooled so many times that I stopped looking at it. I respect the no screen approach and the lifetime warranty is nice too. I also really question what a Garrett is really worth after Kellyco throws in 15 free items. Tesoro sets the prices and doesn't try to pile on the frosting. I want a good metal detector not all that other stuff. I want to go out and have fun. I don't want to learn so much adjusting with the screen controlling my every step. If that works for some people that is great but just not for me.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm already leaning towards the Tesoro. I'm not sure what one but that Garrett AT Pro and many of the other metal detectors just seem like too much work to learn. They appear to be an adjusting nightmare and I know from my Whites that I used for a while with a screen it drove me nuts! That thing was right about iron but fooled so many times that I stopped looking at it. I respect the no screen approach and the lifetime warranty is nice too. I also really question what a Garrett is really worth after Kellyco throws in 15 free items. Tesoro sets the prices and doesn't try to pile on the frosting. I want a good metal detector not all that other stuff. I want to go out and have fun. I don't want to learn so much adjusting with the screen controlling my every step. If that works for some people that is great but just not for me.
It really has to do with the fact that Garrett sells so many more detectors, they can afford to throw in freebies as a promotion to attract customers. Fisher (First Texas) does the same thing. Some of the items are barely useful, others can be good. If you get a good digger (Lesche, Garrett, etc...) & or a good pinpointer, that could save a lot of cash later sometimes. The Fisher F2 pinpointer I got for free is a joke, basically a waste of plastic. I am still using the finds pouch I got for free with my F2 though. It is decent quality & looks exactly like the Minelab one, without the logo. You defintely want a good digger & a pinpointer becomes a neccesity once you use one. Good luck man, whatever you choose!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You really can't go wrong with either one. It's all about your preference. They both find the goods. I'm partial to Tesoro who still uses the simplicity of analog units that last a lifetime (like their warranty). But I remember it took more for me to understand my Tesoro's to weed out the trash over my Ace, CXIII. My Deleon helped me to understand my Bandido and Compadre easier. I dropped my Garretts in favor of the Tesoros eventually. Then when the F5 came out, it was perfect for me, combining the analog of the Tesoro with the digital screen options. It was my best for 7 years. My only reason for moving to the LRP is the memory (F5 doesn't have one) and lightness, with the fast response typical of the F5. They share the same process.

I didn't llike the weight and noise of the CoinGT and the Xterra's tube music sound and slow recovery rate made me trade them.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro. If you ever do need the extra info, it is right there available to you. If you want the Vaq, just run 1 tone on the AT Pro and put some tape over the display. Done.

I can't hammer you on that one Scott- that was witty!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best you have had is the best you know. If you haven't tried other detectors you just don't know how much better others can be. Once you have tried others, you may just realize there are other units that you prefer. If one has only tried one brand , how do you know others are not as good? You can shoot Glocks only, doesn't mean Sig Sauer is no good just because you refuse to try a brand other than Glock. Be mature about this, the guy wants info on comparing 2 detectors that you have never owned.

That seems like logical reasoning, but also if the one you have is working well for you and you are successful with it, why would you change?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seems like logical reasoning, but also if the one you have is working well for you and you are successful with it, why would you change?

If it is working well, true. some guns may have better pointability, or less (percieved) recoil for more accurate follow up target aquistition, etc...My buddy had a GSXR 750, I used to ride my FZR 600 with him in the canyons. Then I rode his bike & realized why he was stomping me so bad, lol. I needed to ride the gixxer to realize how much better it was. If you just want to see if it can be better, you won't know til ya...Wait rainy, is this deja vu all over again? Lol

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The at pro actually requires very little adjusting compared to similar machines. Most of the learning will be in the sounds it produces on different targets which is what you will need to learn on the Tesoro aswell. I am not going to tell you which is better because there is not a truthful answer. I think they are both great and worth every penny. I really like the Vaquero but I like to be able to switch from all metal to disc quickly so I am desperately trying to find a used Eldorado. But for general purpose hunting you are probably going to be looking at the Vaquero vrs the ATpro. I think you will want both eventually....just pick the one you want to learn first and go for it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you think the others are hard to learn wait till you try a tesoro. I used a vaquero for a year and a half and dug a few old coins and a ton of trash. Got my self what everyone calls one of the hardest to learn detectors their is. Within a month I was digging more silver coins in a day than I was with the vaquero in the year and a half. I never got it with the tesoro, I believe they are the hardest to not dig a bunch of trash. If you are at a place and want to dig everything just turn disc down on any detector, but it's easier with tones and some have fairly accurate ids.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think the others are hard to learn wait till you try a tesoro. I used a vaquero for a year and a half and dug a few old coins and a ton of trash. Got my self what everyone calls one of the hardest to learn detectors their is. Within a month I was digging more silver coins in a day than I was with the vaquero in the year and a half. I never got it with the tesoro, I believe they are the hardest to not dig a bunch of trash. If you are at a place and want to dig everything just turn disc down on any detector, but it's easier with tones and some have fairly accurate ids.

Yes my friend, dirtscratcher speaks the truth. I thought I would save money by getting a Vaquero, but overall I ended up losing money. After 1 year I gave up trying to 'learn the language' of the single tone & moved on to something with more info. That single tone, over & over & over in trashy sites can drive one insane, not to mention digging so much iron trash that should been quarters or dimes (according to where the disc was set, or thumbing the knob.)

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes my friend, dirtscratcher speaks the truth. I thought I would save money by getting a Vaquero, but overall I ended up losing money. After 1 year I gave up trying to 'learn the language' of the single tone & moved on to something with more info. That single tone, over & over & over in trashy sites can drive one insane, not to mention digging so much iron trash that should been quarters or dimes (according to where the disc was set, or thumbing the knob.)

You sound like a broken record.
I still have no idea why you come on the Tesoro forum as we all know that it didn't work for you. Others may master it better then you did.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is this......people who rely on fancy screens and multi tones to "cherry pick" sites with WILL DIG LESS TRASH. But a well trained ear and a good Tesoro will pull good targets that the "fancy screen" missed. Most times it will be targets in the mid-range. Everybody loves silver, but silver is easy to ID.....gold is not so easy and the screens dont help here......just a good trained ear and persistence. Multi-tone users tend to naturally relate mid-tones to trash in some areas.....where as a "mid-tone" doesnt exist to a Tesoro user....

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is this......people who rely on fancy screens and multi tones to "cherry pick" sites with WILL DIG LESS TRASH. But a well trained ear and a good Tesoro will pull good targets that the "fancy screen" missed. Most times it will be targets in the mid-range. Everybody loves silver, but silver is easy to ID.....gold is not so easy and the screens dont help here......just a good trained ear and persistence. Multi-tone users tend to naturally relate mid-tones to trash in some areas.....where as a "mid-tone" doesnt exist to a Tesoro user....

Nobody mentioned cherry picking. Dirtscratcher (I believe) & I both use minimal to ZERO disc, so cherry picking is out of the question. We both owned Vaqueros & found more stuff & dug way less trash when we tried another brand. I used the Vaquero in AM for months as I was using it for gold nuggetshooting. In AM it does very well IMO, but when prospecting we dig every zip, so no additional target info is needed. Digger, you know I dig by tones, so the screen is merely additional information. It is there IF I need it. I have used the Vaquero back to back (a valid comparison) against other detectors & it really fell short of expectations. If you got two years to 'train your ear' by all means go for the Vaq.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand Scott.....but if you are digging less trash....then how do you know it is all trash?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions