Tesoro vs. Garrett AT Pro question

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is deep and sounds sweet from two directions, I wanna see what's down there so I am gonna dig! Yea, it might be junk, but the only way I will know is to dig it. The Tejon handles this task for me without spending the big bucks for some of the other machines. I am sure the Vaq is right there in depth also. If I really must know what is there before I dig there are some pretty fancy digital imaging machines made that will ID better than any detector.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the same old story though. You never know what it is for sure unless you dig it, but you never know if the grass is greener unless you try it on the other side. I like the grass I moved to.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is the same old story though. You never know what it is for sure unless you dig it, but you never know if the grass is greener unless you try it on the other side. I like the grass I moved to.

Scott you do but you don't. I mean the grass is so much greener on the other side, but you sure spend a lot time on our lawn!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott you do but you don't. I mean the grass is so much greener on the other side, but you sure spend a lot time on our lawn!

Actually it seems the more detectors I try the greener the grass gets.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very opinionated on one thing pertinent to this thread. I feel it is tremendously benificial to become proficient with a beep and dig (no display) detector, preferbly first, or at least after using a machine with a display. I'm not against detectors with screens as I have several, but my experience learning the nuances of the sound only machines has paid off as an extra bit of info to include when making a decsion to dig or not over a display alone.
luvsdux

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if one is very interested in the hobby, he should get the best detector with the most features he can afford. Most multi-tone machines can be run in single tone anyway, if one chooses to learn this way. You can not have it both ways with a Vaquero. Of course ID is not completely accurate with any machine, some are waaayyy better than others. The only way to know is to try different models.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what it is for sure unless you dig it

True, but todays detectors can give you a good 95% accurate target ID. Some 20 years ago my obsession would have me worried about the other 5% but not today.

Now, on the deep stuff, it is still a matter of knowing your detector and location because neither sound or VDI are near as accurate or reliable.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think if one is very interested in the hobby, he should get the best detector with the most features he can afford. Most multi-tone machines can be run in single tone anyway, if one chooses to learn this way. You can not have it both ways with a Vaquero. Of course ID is not completely accurate with any machine, some are waaayyy better than others. The only way to know is to try different models.

I think a lot of people don't know how interested they are going to be until they try it first. In this scenario the F2 and Compadre are great starter machines to test the waters first. With any success the addiction and better machines will follow.

By the way, how long have you had the Omega? I just saw that in your detector list. I also see but can't believe you sold the 505? How do you like the Omega compared to the 505?

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a lot of people don't know how interested they are going to be until they try it first. In this scenario the F2 and Compadre are great starter machines to test the waters first. With any success the addiction and better machines will follow.

By the way, how long have you had the Omega? I just saw that in your detector list. I also see but can't believe you sold the 505? How do you like the Omega compared to the 505?
i just feel with "starter" things, you soon want more. i always did that with a lot of things i got into, then you end up spending more money. i knew i was going to like detecting without even touching a detector. so, i looked for one with all that i researched was needed on one. so i got the vaq to learn with and dont have any need to upgrade anytime soon, if ever. if i do, will most likely be the tejon or, if this cazador ever does come out, after a year or two reading how it does and if any bugs need working out of it. may get that. i do like the minelab machines also and may stray from the tesoros.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rainy, thanks for asking. I really did like the 505 a lot. It was a bit nose heavy with the 10.5" DD I preferred (due to the better depth). The lack of waterproof coils started to bum me out too. After using 4 tones for awhile, I decided I liked it better than multi-tone, but the XT is choppy using 4 tones. I wanted to try another 4 tone & always liked the Fisher audio. I've had the Omega almost 2 months. I'm using the Omega/NEL Sharpshooter combo & I am finding quite a few deeper coins at my local "hunted out" spots. I am very impressed with the Omega, faster, lighter, deeper & better audio IMO. The X-Terra was built like a tank, but was not balanced & felt heavy. Sorry, no intention to hijack thread just wanted to answer Rainy

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rainy, thanks for asking. I really did like the 505 a lot. It was a bit nose heavy with the 10.5" DD I preferred (due to the better depth). The lack of waterproof coils started to bum me out too. After using 4 tones for awhile, I decided I liked it better than multi-tone, but the XT is choppy using 4 tones. I wanted to try another 4 tone & always liked the Fisher audio. I've had the Omega almost 2 months. I'm using the Omega/NEL Sharpshooter combo & I am finding quite a few deeper coins at my local "hunted out" spots. I am very impressed with the Omega, faster, lighter, deeper & better audio IMO. The X-Terra was built like a tank, but was not balanced & felt heavy. Sorry, no intention to hijack thread just wanted to answer Rainy

Let me know how it goes, the Omega has always caught my attention.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since getting the Vaquero I have been comparing it to the AT pro. I feel I know the ATP as good as any machine I own. My first comparison is on raw depth...in my soil. This is kinda hard to do since the garrett will sound off on deep targets but may give a mid tone on a high conductive target and vdi numbers will probably be lower than they should. I know from many hours of use that a deep, repeatable mid tone is a digger. But, in order to get a fair comparison, using the vaquero on the same target I will need to thumb the disc and see where it drops out. After a few of these tests...my conclusion is that the vaquero is a little deeper. This is using stock 9x8 coil, sense on 10 and perfectly gb on Vaquero. AT pro was using 5x8 coil, sense maxed and perfect gb. I know the pro will probably have the edge with its larger stock coil. But the vaquero can be supertuned so this could pull it back out front. The little I have played with supertuning; I have been impressed. My honest opinion is these machines are both keepers and each has its own benefits.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I took the Vaquero and AT pro to the park today...not a real old park but it does produce cool stuff sometimes. She ran the Vaquero and I ran the pro. We checked all signals with both machines and neither dominated the day. I was very impressed that I could not fool her with a few bottlecap signals I found. Every signal she said was good turned out to be good except for one large older pulltab. She was running the Vaq at sense 10...perfect GB and disc set right at tab. We hunted just a few hours and ended the day with a few bucks in clad, a small brass lock and some other misc. Items. But the best find was my wifes second target; which to my surprise was a '72 Ike dollar. I think I may lose my Vaquero....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great you had some good advise! Hunted with the AT today drives me crazy how slow it processes.

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I took the Vaquero and AT pro to the park today...not a real old park but it does produce cool stuff sometimes. She ran the Vaquero and I ran the pro. We checked all signals with both machines and neither dominated the day. I was very impressed that I could not fool her with a few bottlecap signals I found. Every signal she said was good turned out to be good except for one large older pulltab. She was running the Vaq at sense 10...perfect GB and disc set right at tab. We hunted just a few hours and ended the day with a few bucks in clad, a small brass lock and some other misc. Items. But the best find was my wifes second target; which to my surprise was a '72 Ike dollar. I think I may lose my Vaquero....

good Hunted better lose Vaquero. then the wife lol

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
another good story of at pro vs vaquero. a few facebook pages im on, people rave so much over their at pros that its crazy. almost to a point that they can swing it over a dead cat and bring it back to life. haha. they cant comprehend that the vaquero, with no screen and one tone, can do just as well. only drawback is it is not waterproof. but, i feel tesoros warranty makes up for that.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't tried the dead cat trick with my pro yet....i'll have to try that. lol

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find a dead dog with mine one time. Thats a story i would rather not tell....

OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Tejon just arrived last week! Great machine. Lots to learn but I really believe that I will do much better at this hobby without the screen to look at. I relied on it way too much on my Whites.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a BRAND NEW Tesoro Vaquero for about 5 years and only used it once...That is a shame on my part...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions