throwbackjack

Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello

I have a chance to buy a 2012 tiger shark in very good shape. It has the hard wired 10.5" coil. I can get it for $385.00 Canadian. . I live in the middle of Canada, so there is a lot of fresh water spots to detect. Any pros and cons on it before i buy ? I believe it is a good deal even if the lifetime warranty would not apply as not being the original owner.

thanks
throwbackjack

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello

I have a chance to buy a 2012 tiger shark in very good shape. It has the hard wired 10.5" coil. I can get it for $385.00 Canadian. . I live in the middle of Canada, so there is a lot of fresh water spots to detect. Any pros and cons on it before i buy ? I believe it is a good deal even if the lifetime warranty would not apply as not being the original owner.

thanks
throwbackjack

That's a great price on a great machine if it's in good working order. Does well in fresh water but not good for salt water. GL

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as there haven't been any old batteries left in it that leaked and it works ok it's a good deal. HOWEVER, if you ever plan on diving with it I would consider spending $50 to let Tesoro test everything out including a pressure test. I just traded for an older one that leaked on me (about 1/2 a thimble full of freshwater). I had almost sent it in before diving but having owned one before, figured the tiger shark design was bulletproof. The leak was around the headphone wire strain relief. Always keep oring clean an lubed up with divers silicone.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I need to update this. It was the coil that was bad. I guess the water I saw in the control came out of the rod when I tilted it up.

OP
OP
T

throwbackjack

Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the tiger shark today. It has been well taken care of and everything works as it should. Gonna give it a go next week.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one of the best freshwater if not the best at finding smaller gold jewelry and chains than the most popular multi freq machines. Just set disc on 2-3 and have fun!

OP
OP
T

throwbackjack

Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know where i might get a scuff cover for the 10.5" coil? I would prefer to get it in Canada but if not I would bring it in from the U.S. A. I also want to detect on land.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rats. Hard to find a good quality used machine in Canada. (Can't afford to bring one from the US because of the dollar being in the toilet). Congrats on a great find!

OP
OP
T

throwbackjack

Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya. I was all over this one as quick as I could. Luckily the seller lived about 5 miles away. Now if it would only quit snowing.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya. I was all over this one as quick as I could. Luckily the seller lived about 5 miles away. Now if it would only quit snowing.

I'd be interested in how you find it when you get a chance to get out....
Snow again tomorrow *sigh*

spanner

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Replace the "O" ring gasket and coat the new gasket lightly with diver's silicone before you put it in the water. Best freshwater machine out there.

spanner

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't use a scuff cover in the water, it creates more problems than it solves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread