Tesoro Golden Umax On Its Way

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre and Garrett ACE 250/Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, just bought my my third, and last (i hope so ... lol), machine of my arsenal. I have the GBP, Tesoro Tejon, and last but not least the Golden Umax. I heard a lot of good reviews of this machine as well as many thumbs down. I got the new tones version and if it works as 53Silver and Vaquero44 show on youtube, this machine will be a great addition. Perfect for the trashy parks I hunt in my area. Don't get me wrong, I love my GBP and Tejon but those I will use in open fields and my golden here in the city. Has anyone used the golden Umax before? Any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11 days and still waiting. According to the track number its been stucked in New Jersey for three days!!!! Took 8 days to get there from Delaware!!!!! Talked to the seller and he contacted the post office he was told that it's because he sent it standard shipping and usually the post office will keep a hold on the package waiting for more of same shipping to send out all together......this sucks.....can't imagine how long will it take to get down here to south Texas?

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's bad news bud, never heard of them waiting till they had enough mail before sending....I'd be on the phone.

How's the Tejon?

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's bad news bud, never heard of them waiting till they had enough mail before sending....I'd be on the phone.

How's the Tejon?

How's it going.....Tejon is great, too powerful for park hunting though, that's why I bought the golden. This is the first time I've ever heard about the post office keeping on hold a package so they can pile up in order to ship. According to seller my golden left new jersey on the 21st but the tracking still shows nj. Hmmmm..... that surely sucks.

Attachments

• 1427246852648.jpg
    1427246852648.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 1427246867098.jpg
    1427246867098.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 1427246875880.jpg
    1427246875880.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 118

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon is great for park hunting and coin shooting. Turn sens down and problem solved. I'm afraid there may be a problem if you have waited 11 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon is great for park hunting and coin shooting. Turn sens down and problem solved. I'm afraid there may be a problem if you have waited 11 days.

Don't get me wrong, Tejon is great and I love the dual disc. it has. I'm just leaving the Tejon and GBP for open field hunting and the Golden for parks, should be here in a couple of days, it just departed from Dallas.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like they used Smart Post or Sure Post.

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got my Golden Umax today. Been messing around with the tones and the notch knob, works great. Can't wait to head to the park tomorrow an try it out.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well did the Golden work as well as it did in Mikes videos? Or at least halfway like what you expected?

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well did the Golden work as well as it did in Mikes videos? Or at least halfway like what you expected?

How's it going. Turned out it didn't have the new tones, saw the new faceplate on it different from the old version as vaquero44 has and same as Mikes so I didn't even asked and bought it. Anyway o I tried it with what I got and still was a bit impressed. Did both tests as Mike the one with the nickel worked but still had the signals of can slaw and aluminum foil. I cranked the disc a hair before 5¢ mark and got rid of them and was still hitting on a 10k and 14k rings but wouldn't hit on 10k necklace with gold cross nor a 10k bracelet plus lost almost half the depth so it was working on 2" to 3" only. Tried also the offset tone of foil and gold and yes got the iron grunt on the foilbbut as well on the gold necklace and bracelet hitting high tones on quarters,dimes,copper pennies and silver, mid mixed on zinc, mid tone on nickels and my gold rings but as well as the beaver tails and pull tabs, all this on notch off, min disc, and notch nob all the way to the right. Maybe if I upgraded the new tones I could do a little tweaking on it but Tesoro doesn't do the new tones anymore. So I have it back on eBay and gonna get a vaquero or cibola.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the Vaquero because of ground balance and an all metal mode you can click in to by rotating disc knob all the way CCW. The Cibola's all metal mode is only available by holding the Pinpoint button in. This may not ever be an issue for most hunting, but for dry sand jewelry hunting I would want the Vaq.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mine has the new tones, would have preferred the old tones but used to it now. I find the Golden works well in most locations but is best suited for jewelry hunting in post beaver-tail areas. Easy to set a small notch to make most modern square tabs break up and dig everything else. Post beaver-tail areas are not that old and most finds are less than 6" in my area. I only use the Golden with the CleanSweep coil which enables me to cover a tremendous amount of ground and dig many more targets in the shallow range. If I come upon a hot spot I will grab a deeper setup. You start notching out the beaver tails you miss a lot of jewelry, which is fine for a coin shooter, but strangely enough, I prefer gold!

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
How's it going. Turned out it didn't have the new tones, saw the new faceplate on it different from the old version as vaquero44 has and same as Mikes so I didn't even asked and bought it. Anyway o I tried it with what I got and still was a bit impressed. Did both tests as Mike the one with the nickel worked but still had the signals of can slaw and aluminum foil. I cranked the disc a hair before 5¢ mark and got rid of them and was still hitting on a 10k and 14k rings but wouldn't hit on 10k necklace with gold cross nor a 10k bracelet plus lost almost half the depth so it was working on 2" to 3" only. Tried also the offset tone of foil and gold and yes got the iron grunt on the foilbbut as well on the gold necklace and bracelet hitting high tones on quarters,dimes,copper pennies and silver, mid mixed on zinc, mid tone on nickels and my gold rings but as well as the beaver tails and pull tabs, all this on notch off, min disc, and notch nob all the way to the right. Maybe if I upgraded the new tones I could do a little tweaking on it but Tesoro doesn't do the new tones anymore. So I have it back on eBay and gonna get a vaquero or cibola.

In my opinion, you have the better of the two. I also own the old tone edition, with the newer face plate. I have spoken with Rusty at Tesoro twice now about the golden and he prefers the old tone set up too. The new tone order would drive me nuts. The old tones are in their proper conductive order. The one any only complaint about the old tone version that has some truth to it is the two middle tones are kind of close together, but after a bit of practice and hunting you get used to it and can recognize the difference between them, if I get confused, I scan a nickel to remind me what the lower middle tone sounds like.

The Beauty of this machine is the notch width/tone adjust nob. When the notch is off, you can change how those middle tones sound on specific things like a nickel, a particular style pull tab, or gold ring, or even foil. You have already discovered that by turning the nob all the way to the right, foil will drop to the iron tone (but so will very light gold, like a small chain).

It is true that you will loose some depth by turning the disc up even to the recommended setting, at the arrow. But when you have tones, why would you do that? With Ed 120, you can keep the disc set to the lowest setting and still miss a lot of small iron, and properly I'd the bigger iron. But if you get tired of that, you can turn the notch on, and still keep depth on the higher conductors.

The golden is not a deep machine, but occasionally I will hit a 7 or 8 inch pulltab. It will hit a quarter at 7 inches with good ground conditions, and I have found dimes at 5 inches.

You should give your new golden a chance before letting it go so quickly.

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, you have the better of the two. I also own the old tone edition, with the newer face plate. I have spoken with Rusty at Tesoro twice now about the golden and he prefers the old tone set up too. The new tone order would drive me nuts. The old tones are in their proper conductive order. The one any only complaint about the old tone version that has some truth to it is the two middle tones are kind of close together, but after a bit of practice and hunting you get used to it and can recognize the difference between them, if I get confused, I scan a nickel to remind me what the lower middle tone sounds like.

The Beauty of this machine is the notch width/tone adjust nob. When the notch is off, you can change how those middle tones sound on specific things like a nickel, a particular style pull tab, or gold ring, or even foil. You have already discovered that by turning the nob all the way to the right, foil will drop to the iron tone (but so will very light gold, like a small chain).

It is true that you will loose some depth by turning the disc up even to the recommended setting, at the arrow. But when you have tones, why would you do that? With Ed 120, you can keep the disc set to the lowest setting and still miss a lot of small iron, and properly I'd the bigger iron. But if you get tired of that, you can turn the notch on, and still keep depth on the higher conductors.

The golden is not a deep machine, but occasionally I will hit a 7 or 8 inch pulltab. It will hit a quarter at 7 inches with good ground conditions, and I have found dimes at 5 inches.

You should give your new golden a chance before letting it go so quickly.

How's it going. I've been here at the park for the last three hours messing around with my golden. I've dugged $6.74 in clad ( including nickels) and a bit of trash. Don't get me wrong, its a good machine but I was all thrilled expecting the new tones, I'm still messing around with the notch, disc ,and tones. If it doesn't sell by tomorrow (3 day auction) I'll keep it for a while and give it a try.

Attachments

• 1427842415704.jpg
    1427842415704.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 1427842432059.jpg
    1427842432059.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 1427842452608.jpg
    1427842452608.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 1427842470938.jpg
    1427842470938.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 125

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a heck of a good coin shoot! I think I would keep it for while.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Keep it, you have the better version, getting a propper aftermarket coil for it is a must. Avoid elipticals like the plague, except the cleansweep (which is not really an eliptical anyway). Learn the tones, literally, not just the pitch. That's the gist of it.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the honest report. As someone said on another post, if it worked that well at ID'ing gold & avoiding trash, we would all have one & they would cost $1200, lol. Not sure if you have tried a Vaquero, but they LOVE iron, no matter where you set the disc.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep, I'd hang onto it for a few...nice mess of coins to just have gotten it. Always had my eye on the Tejon though, we'll see.

glad ya finally got her in.

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, I'd hang onto it for a few...nice mess of coins to just have gotten it. Always had my eye on the Tejon though, we'll see.

glad ya finally got her in.

That's a heck of a good coin shoot! I think I would keep it for while.

Keep it, you have the better version, getting a propper aftermarket coil for it is a must. Avoid elipticals like the plague, except the cleansweep (which is not really an eliptical anyway). Learn the tones, literally, not just the pitch. That's the gist of it.

Well guys it didn't sell.....lol.....lot of watchers but no bids. I guess me and my golden gonna be best of friends for a while.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would do what RW does above and put a cleansweep coil on and hit the same park. There has to be jewelry lurking there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread