Golden µMAX : doen mine need re-calibration?

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all

Got myself a 2nd hand Golden µMAX a few months ago.

Been using it intensively and I'm really happy about the overall performance.

I already foung gold, and a whole lot of coins, supertuned the unit with no specific issues and good depth, BUT...

In a normal hunt, that is with sens at 7 or8, disc set at the arrow, no notch, just listening to the tones, I get overload signal on disciminated targets (iron chunks) AND ON SHALLOW ACCEPTED TARGETS.

In both cases I have to lift the coil.

This does not sound normal to me, can anyone who owns/used one chime in to discuss that metter?

Thanks

Grumpy

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't speak for the Golden as I've never used one. However, I own and have used other models and brands that overload heavily on close large iron and even small desirable targets if too close to the coil with too much sensitivity set for the (lack of) depth. Try less sensitivity on a smaller target that overloads and see if it still does that. If you have no problem with smaller and or deeper targets, I don''t think you have a problem
luvsdux

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
In a normal hunt, that is with sens at 7 or8, disc set at the arrow, no notch, just listening to the tones, I get overload signal on disciminated targets (iron chunks) AND ON SHALLOW ACCEPTED TARGETS.

In both cases I have to lift the coil.

This does not sound normal to me, can anyone who owns/used one chime in to discuss that metter?

Thanks

Grumpy

This is normal, the overload signal is very hyper when using a concentric coil, particularly large or mid sized concentric coils, like the stock coil. There are three simple ways around this:

1: Use a DD coil, overload function won't be anywhere near as sensitive.
2: When you get an overload signal, if it's a big/wide overload signal, ignore it. If it's short, as short as any target you're looking for (I have used this very effectively as a silver ring identifier!), lift the coil until the true signal comes in. Only takes a split second.
3: Use the 5.75" concentric coil if you don't want to use DD's.

No. 2 is very effective and simple, but where there is a lot of trash, use a DD coil or the 5.75". They will target seperate better as well.

When I first started using my Golden, I though this would be a burden, when I got experienced with the Golden, I turned the overload function towards my advantage.

OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Many thanks to the both of you.

I was planning to buy a 5.75" coil for my golden, I might instead go for the 7" WS.

I bought it 2nd hand, because here, at this side of the pond, the Golden is not imported.

Glad I did, because I'm satisfied, and the tones, once correctly set up, are very useful with our euro coins.

Even with low sens setting, the depth for coins is good, and it will still overload a lot.

Thanks again, I've learnt something !

HH

Grumpy

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Many thanks to the both of you.

I was planning to buy a 5.75" coil for my golden, I might instead go for the 7" WS.

I bought it 2nd hand, because here, at this side of the pond, the Golden is not imported.

Glad I did, because I'm satisfied, and the tones, once correctly set up, are very useful with our euro coins.

Even with low sens setting, the depth for coins is good, and it will still overload a lot.

Thanks again, I've learnt something !

HH

Grumpy

You also have the option of getting Laser coils, same thing as Tesoro, just made by pohms so you might have extra options closer to home:
Tesoro Laser 6 inch Concentric 5 Pin Coil 4 Metal Detector Wiltshire Detectors | eBay

Sens won't make anywhere near as much difference in depth as ground balance. If using small coils then open the faceplate and turn the GB all the way negative, you can pretty much leave it there.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
This is normal, the overload signal is very hyper when using a concentric coil, particularly large or mid sized concentric coils, like the stock coil. There are three simple ways around this:

1: Use a DD coil, overload function won't be anywhere near as sensitive.
2: When you get an overload signal, if it's a big/wide overload signal, ignore it. If it's short, as short as any target you're looking for (I have used this very effectively as a silver ring identifier!), lift the coil until the true signal comes in. Only takes a split second.
3: Use the 5.75" concentric coil if you don't want to use DD's.

No. 2 is very effective and simple, but where there is a lot of trash, use a DD coil or the 5.75". They will target seperate better as well.

When I first started using my Golden, I though this would be a burden, when I got experienced with the Golden, I turned the overload function towards my advantage.

I agree. When I first started using the golden, I used the concentric stock coil that came with it. Then I tried the 7 inch wide scan and the ws is a vast improvement over the concentric. You still get decent coverage and great target separation. The GB will need to be adjusted most likely. I sent mine in to fix the exterior speaker (stopped working) and sent it with the 7 in ws so they could calibrate it with this coil. It made a difference, I think perhaps by an inch of depth, but I have not had it out yet enough to say for sure.

I think the ws is the way to go with the golden, as the tones are much more defined, at least to my ears they are.

OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I already thought about tweaking the GB.

I might do dat at a later stage, the two main reasons being I recently found very small gold items (18K) with the unit as it is, and I do have a Goldbug pro for those GB-based hunts.

About Laser : I'm seriously thinking of buying a Trident 2 SI, despite the fact it's a 4 pins. The Scout appeals to me too, and we have Compadres with coil connectors over here.

Therefore, I should have to sell one of my two Minelabs (EX II or GT), and that is a though decision to make, although I don't hunt wet sand that much any more.

With the Compadre, I made stunning finds and found an incredible amount of coins. Just love those Tesoroes. Sold it to a friend in need.

Thank you, and HH

Grumpy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions