Sand Shark Advice....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Swing the Sand Shark in Normal Mode and switch to VCO just to pinpoint. Normal Mode is a bit deeper than VCO. Also, if you're in the water and the coil flips up due to waves/strong current, just remove the coil bolt and mount the coil backwards on the shaft where it points towards your feet. And apply some silicone to the control box lid seal before entering the water. That's about all I can think you to help you. By the way, I sell a shaft extension/balancer for the Sand/Tiger Shark that places the control box behind your elbow.

GL and HH

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Be prepared to dig.

And then dig some more.

And keep digging.

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already had about 10 hours with my new Sand Shark. I think I started to recognize the "good" signals among all the trash...at least I hope so. My muscles hurt from a lot of digging as stated above,so I would say you should be in a good shape using this machine without any discrimination and good pinpointing functionality. Also,I'm personally considering to purchase a salt water pinpointer to work with, as digging one target for a 10 minutes just to find out it's a rusty nail - is really frustrating and time consuming.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already had about 10 hours with my new Sand Shark. I think I started to recognize the "good" signals among all the trash...at least I hope so. My muscles hurt from a lot of digging as stated above,so I would say you should be in a good shape using this machine without any discrimination and good pinpointing functionality. Also,I'm personally considering to purchase a salt water pinpointer to work with, as digging one target for a 10 minutes just to find out it's a rusty nail - is really frustrating and time consuming.

Algeria, I'm confused a little. How is a pinpointer going to tell you there's a rusty nail down 12" beneath the sand? I usually sweep targets from multiple directions and listen for any waiver from a perfect "round" sound. Most bobby pins, nails etc will give a double beep while sweeping them longitudinally.

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Algeria, I'm confused a little. How is a pinpointer going to tell you there's a rusty nail down 12" beneath the sand? I usually sweep targets from multiple directions and listen for any waiver from a perfect "round" sound. Most bobby pins, nails etc will give a double beep while sweeping them longitudinally.

Fletch,of course it won't.It will just help me to find the nails much faster.Currently my scoob is working really hard on every small target as I said...

P.S. It's "algeus"😀

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it autocorrected and I didn't see it

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch,of course it won't.It will just help me to find the nails much faster.Currently my scoob is working really hard on every small target as I said...

P.S. It's "algeus"😀

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess to each his own then. So when you get the target up out of the hole you will lay scoop down, take out a pinpointer and bend over to sift around in wet sand to locate target? Seems counterproductive versus just scanning sand and kicking around until target is isolated. Even the deep iron I have dug, when I get it up top and make a couple scans with detector it's usually a dead giveaway that it iron once you know what to listen for.

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess to each his own then. So when you get the target up out of the hole you will lay scoop down, take out a pinpointer and bend over to sift around in wet sand to locate target? Seems counterproductive versus just scanning sand and kicking around until target is isolated. Even the deep iron I have dug, when I get it up top and make a couple scans with detector it's usually a dead giveaway that it iron once you know what to listen for.

Let's take a common(well,for me) scenario.I hear a "good" signal in a shallow water and start to dig.In most cases the first scoop will be empy,and so the second one.My scoop is pretty big,but even with that one - frequently I'm just missing the targets again and again.After the third scoop I'm starting to wonder whether the target is not 10 cm on the left of the hole...or maybe on the right?
I'm using pinpointer on land, and while I was hoping I won't need one in the water with a large scoopit ,it looks like I was wrong.Unless I'm doing something wrong here...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's take a common(well,for me) scenario.I hear a "good" signal in a shallow water and start to dig.In most cases the first scoop will be empy,and so the second one.My scoop is pretty big,but even with that one - frequently I'm just missing the targets again and again.After the third scoop I'm starting to wonder whether the target is not 10 cm on the left of the hole...or maybe on the right?
I'm using pinpointer on land, and while I was hoping I won't need one in the water with a large scoopit ,it looks like I was wrong.Unless I'm doing something wrong here...
Not sure how your pinpointing in water with your detector.

What size scoop so you have!

I pinpoint with mine, once target is in center of coil I place my toe at edge of rear of coil, move coil and that is where I place the tip of my scoop to start.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might also try zip tying a couple of magnets to the bottom of your scoop.
It keeps those pesky bobby pins and nails from falling thru the holes in the scoop making you think you missed the target.
You can get 2 for $ .99 at Harbor Frieght

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how your pinpointing in water with your detector.

What size scoop so you have!

I pinpoint with mine, once target is in center of coil I place my toe at edge of rear of coil, move coil and that is where I place the tip of my scoop to start.

My scoop looks like that:
???? 1,5 ?????? scoop.okis.ru

I'm digging from the center of the coil...will try it your way!

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also try zip tying a couple of magnets to the bottom of your scoop.
It keeps those pesky bobby pins and nails from falling thru the holes in the scoop making you think you missed the target.
You can get 2 for $ .99 at Harbor Frieght

Thanks,I'm going to use some hard drive magnets for this task - hope this will help a bit...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions