Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Pretty much set disc up just above iron and dig all roundish sounding targets! I have been using a brass probe with the mx-5 and concentric coil just to see how accurately I can pinpoint. I only used my small digger if the target is over 3-4". It's been a whole new challenge using the probe and the workers that spoke to me we're glad to see how I was retrieving targets. I didn't divulge the small digger I had in my pouch.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Pretty much set disc up just above iron and dig all roundish sounding targets! I have been using a brass probe with the mx-5 and concentric coil just to see how accurately I can pinpoint. I only used my small digger if the target is over 3-4". It's been a whole new challenge using the probe and the workers that spoke to me we're glad to see how I was retrieving targets. I didn't divulge the small digger I had in my pouch.

Sounds good! Fletch how do you like the MX5? I got an offer to trade one for my X-Terra.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, that may be totally a personal preference. I had the XT-705 and liked it pretty well. I do like the fact that there are more coils available for the MX5 / MXT and ALL are waterproof. I would not say one is deeper, faster or better than the other. One thing you may not like is the mx's gb is not lockable. It constantly tracks the ground as you sweep the coil. I have not had any issues with this but some of the "gods" of metal detecting say that it can be a problem if you hunt in a spot that is loaded with iron.
I think the 14khz operating freq is perfect for coin and jewelry hunting. I have found small pieces of copper wire, 22 lead, and brass that sang out very loud. That was one thing I didn't like about the XT was you were always wondering if you should have been using the LF, MF or HF coil.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread