Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were causing a huge coin-drought on the east coast beaches.... ;-)

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Don't get the Outlaw (I had one, wrote a review, long story).

What type of hunting are you planning to do with the cleansweep? There might be a better coil for you.

I had the cleansweep for my Golden, it was a good coil, the best target seperator I've ever had. It didn't go very deep though, it's alright if you're only chasing shallow stuff. Not worth getting another detector just so you can use one, unless second hand and cheap. In that case, get a Silver uMax second hand and find a second hand cleansweep. Silver umax is all you'll need with the cleansweep. Don't get the Outlaw.

Since you use the 4 pin Tesoro, my advice is to get a good round DD coil if you can.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only plan on using it for modern sports fields mostly for jewelry and clad. I tested an outlaw a while back and did not really like it but maybe didn't give it a fair chance. I would rather have a Cleansweep for a Cibola or Vaq. I have owned every Tesoro except the Deleon, Cortes and Compadre. The Silver uMax was the least favorite of all that I used. I like a pinpoint button with VCO tone like the Cibola or Vaq.
What I would really like to find is a Bigfoot coil for my MXT or MX-5 but that is all but impossible to find.

Last edited:

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
There are two versions of the cleansweep, the older heavy version, tough and robust, very tough. They later released a lighter version but they had problems and went faulty. Something with the casing spliting I don't know, but I gather it had something to do with them being lighter.

I used to hunt large sports grounds with my cleansweep, it was good for that but mainly found silver rings. It's not sensitive for gold. I did find two gold rings with it, one was big so it had no problem picking it up, the other was thin, right on top of the surface, the coil was practically touching it but it didn't give a good signal, hardly at all.

Unfortunately, Tesoro's coil options are bad, I don't see any good options for the 4 pins. My advice is go second hand and find a good coil or a good detector coil combo.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will use a 13" ultimate (one of my favorites) or 12x10 SEF on the MXT.

Last edited:

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I think I will use a 13" ultimate (one of my favorites) or 12x10 SEF on the MXT.

If you've got the White's, can you use the bigfoot? I doubt that will be sensitive to thin gold either (because of the shape of the coil), but there's an option! It's the same shape as the cleansweep, only two inches longer.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Only read the first post so forgive me if already stated but, you will NOT need a pinpoint feature with a CleanSweep coil. Just sweep the coil back (short sweeps like 2" wide) until the signal disappears and the target will be one inch right in front of coil. Do it again at 90 degrees if you want to pinpoint target to within half an inch. Then, move on to a dozen more targets while your buddies are still on the same hole.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A bit more on the CleanSweep... I have 2 of them and did have one go bad. It split around the seem as stated above. Was due to the pressure I repeatedly put on it hunting in water. Tesoro replaced it no questions asked. I have used it on Silver uMax, Silver Sabre uMax, Golden and Cortez. Worked great on all machines and found a lot of gold, large and small. Coil is very stable and usually could handle MAX sensitivity and supertuning the threshold. Best combination was the Silver uMax/CleanSweep. It would nail dimes at 6". In my greed for depth I sent the Silver uMax and the CleanSweep in to Tesoro to be tuned to each other. After that it wouldn't hit a dime at 4". Then I realized why I have heard so many others complain about depth and I should have stuck with what I had. Sold the Silver uMax but still keep a Golden and a Silver Sabre both with CleanSweep coils. The Silver Sabre is a bit deeper than the Golden but I use the Golden almost always. Ground is hard as a rock in summer and most jewelry is in top 3-4" around here so works great. Never used a Bigfoot coil but heard the detection field is strange, like 2 coils connected together with a depth gap in the center. CleanSweep has slight variation in depth but is pretty uniform from toe to heel. Had a buddy with a HOT CleanSweep, used it on a Tejon and a Cibola. It falsed like crazy and would barely hit a dime at 2". Not sure whatever happened to that coil, I think he was afraid to send it in because Tesoro was holding onto them for too long maybe? Silver Sabre does have a pinpoint button but I NEVER use it. Too easy to pinpoint without it and besides the threshold is maxxed out anyway. If you do get a Silver and a CleanSweep and the depth is terrible, consider opening it up and making a SLIGHT pot adjustment. Gotta disagree on the problem with hitting small gold. You might not be hitting earring backs but tiny gold children's rings are not a problem, especially under 2". If for some reason I could only have one detector and one coil, it would have to be the Cleanswep coil and some uMax Tesoro. Sheer number of targets you can retrieve so quickly is the best part. That damn coil paid for itself and all of my detectors and accessories many times over.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think RW's post above may be why the delta cs coil is no longer available. You read plenty of praise reports on the cs coil used on umax machines but few on the delta series. I also agree about the Outlaw...they are prone to problems with the retune button and like the Eldorado much better. My suggestion would be a used Silver sabre, Sidewinder or Conquistador. I think any of those would do well with the cs coil and can be found at good price.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm not worried about tinsel thin bracelets or earring backs, mostly complete gold and silver rings etc. I should have kept my Silver uMax I could try a CS to see how I liked it. I'm only wanting 3-4" of depth and the wide swath to be able to cover places like soccer fields. My ground here is about as neutral as it gets so the silver would be fine. And I guess since I'm not trying to look for deeper stuff anyway a pp button isn't necessary. I do know I won't buy anymore used Tesoro coils or machines, since my experience with having my Tiger shark coil replaced.

Last edited:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm not worried about tinsel thin bracelets or earring backs, mostly complete gold and silver rings etc. I should have kept my Silver uMax I guess. I could try a CS to see how I liked it. I'm only wanting 3-4" of depth and the wide swath to be able to cover places like soccer fields.

You just described the perfect use. I wish I could put one on a Compadre, might try one day. I don't even bother trying to determine or guess the target, just pop it out and move on. Got a hunting buddy with 8 or 10 machines. He is a real fanatic. After a dozen or so hunts together we would dump out our piles to compare finds. His jaw would always drop at the number of targets I recovered. He started checking my pouch before hunts to make sure it was empty, but eventually got himself a rectangular coil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost Treasure Field Test Report Tesoro Clean Sweep Search Coil | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine
I don't know why Tesoro stopped making the Clean Sweep Coil for the Tiger Shark but I am glad I found one again after I foolishly sold mine during a period of stupidity. RW has it down pat on not needing the pinpoint button by using the front or heel of the 3"X18" coil. I haven't found any great depth loss from the use of the CS and it will still find those thin gold rings and earring backs. Those that say they can't must have something else going on with the detector. Using the cs coil is the single most needed upgrades you can make! It not only covers lots of area per sweep, its fast pinpointing operation with using the "wiggle," earns its place as your favorite.

I have used the Bigfoot on my DFX and loved it. Never tried it on a MXT but see no reason it wouldn't be a killer on it also.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tiger I just traded for had the interchangeable coil. I had intentions of one day maybe finding a CS coil for it. Then the first time I dove with it, only down to 8-10' I had a problem and sent it in to Tesoro. They came back and said the coil was bad. It will now be hardwired so scrap that plan.
I've been looking for a bigfoot coil for a while and they just don't seem to exist! If I did find one and it has any kind of problem it's pretty much money thrown away! This is what's lead me back to the Tesoro plan.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the Sidewinder? I see a very clean one on Fleabay

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Gotta disagree on the problem with hitting small gold. You might not be hitting earring backs but tiny gold children's rings are not a problem, especially under 2".
There's no doubt about small rings under 2", but I found it a poor coil for gold overall. Sure, it will get some gold at shallow depth, but I wouldn't use that coil if I was mainly going for gold.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know why Tesoro quit making the Cleansweep coil for the delta machines. I want one for a Cibola or Vaquero but see that they are only available for Epsilon series. Guess the Outlaw would be the closest machine with a pinpoint button?

Wow Fletch! A Vaquero?? Really? Lol. You gotta be kidding.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strictly looking for shallow jewelry/ coins in a 40 year old sports complex. They're the only company making a cleansweep/ bigfoot style coil now. I don't want to lug and 18x15" SEF coil around.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the H.O.T. Cleansweep coil did not run very stable from what I have read. That may be why they only make them for the Epsilon machines.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strictly looking for shallow jewelry/ coins in a 40 year old sports complex. They're the only company making a cleansweep/ bigfoot style coil now. I don't want to lug and 18x15" SEF coil around.

Aahh... I see. Grab all those gold rings at once, lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread