12 Inch Deep Quarter With A Tesoro Vaquero Metal Detector

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been saying for a longtime that super tuning is not the best way to get the most depth with the Vaquero. My settings for the discriminate mode: a slight hum for the threshold, discrimination set just high enough to either discriminate out a nail or foil depending on the site that I'm detecting. All the sensitivity that I can get without getting any chatter. Ground balance and then turn to the negative about 1/4 turn depending on the soil type. You want the detector to run smooth so you can hear the faint audio signals. A good set of headphones is a must! I use Killer B Wasp Headphones that has a audio limiter switch.

Scannerguy1968 did a great video showing how to get extreme depth with a Tesoro Vaquero.

tabman

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Tab. Its great too see that another quality post on the Vaq. Ive checked that guys vid on youtxxx. He indicated that he use's a 75 point scoring system when he reviews the machines but, does not disclose the point system and how it works. Do you have any idea? It would be fun and informitve to see.
Also i recently tried this with the Outlaw and got mixed results. It became too unstable and did'nt seem to provide much of an increase in depth BUT, I'm gonna keep experimenting.

scannerguy1968

Jun 4, 2015
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Many
Current
Tesoro Vaquero
Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Tab. Its great too see that another quality post on the Vaq. Ive checked that guys vid on youtxxx. He indicated that he use's a 75 point scoring system when he reviews the machines but, does not disclose the point system and how it works. Do you have any idea? It would be fun and informitve to see.
Also i recently tried this with the Outlaw and got mixed results. It became too unstable and did'nt seem to provide much of an increase in depth BUT, I'm gonna keep experimenting.

Hello. That was my vid. I never really read up on the vaquero and didn't realize or hear of Tabman until some people were writing about him and missing him and his knowledge of tesoros on another site. I ended up choosing this site for able to share vids without the monetizing issue. So hoping I can learn and share. The 75 point scale was off from items sitting in containers. Didn't feel it was giving real results so I built a nice test bed and let it sit for a bit. Now I'm down to 66 points and a good bed full of many real life targets for discrimination, separation and depth. 2 points per hole if it hits both ways. Few air tests on really small items and meteorites then 3 points each for ease of use and build. Just fired it up a couple weeks ago and have a few detectors like an at pro, fors core and such to hit it for vids this weekend. Did a couple detectors last week. Haven't recorded the vaquero yet but so far it will be hard to beat from what I have seen.

scannerguy1968

Jun 4, 2015
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Many
Current
Tesoro Vaquero
Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been saying for a longtime that super tuning is not the best way to get the most depth with the Vaquero. My settings for the discriminate mode: a slight hum for the threshold, discrimination set just high enough to either discriminate out a nail or foil depending on the site that I'm detecting. All the sensitivity that I can get without getting any chatter. Ground balance and then turn to the negative about 1/4 turn depending on the soil type. You want the detector to run smooth so you can hear the faint audio signals. A good set of headphones is a must! I use Killer B Wasp Headphones that has a audio limiter switch.

Scannerguy1968 did a great video showing how to get extreme depth with a Tesoro Vaquero.

tabman

Hey, thanks much for the compliment tabman. Wish I would of read up on your info in the past. Could of saved me trouble. This is my 3rd tesoro. Going to spring for a tejon. Wondering if it will do the same as a vaquero with negative gb. My fors core and others do not give the same killer depth results when going negative.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scannerguy thanks. I'll have to give credit to Monte for me using a little negative on the ground balance. People seeing it demoed in a video like yours makes it so much easier for them to understand. Keep the videos coming!

tabman

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic, Scannerguy I love your other vids on the Slow-mo too etc...nice channel. More MD stuff please!

scannerguy1968

Jun 4, 2015
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Many
Current
Tesoro Vaquero
Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic, Scannerguy I love your other vids on the Slow-mo too etc...nice channel. More MD stuff please!

Thanks, hoping by summers end to run 30 or more detectors through the testbed and have videos of each for a good comparison. But trying to make sure I give each detector a fair chance by learning every angle of it and spending as much time with it as others. Gofind 60 is going up. Then the fors core and the AT pro is next. Probably throw in hunts with some and vids like the vaquero. Maybe should describe the bed more in the vids as well.

razerback408

Dec 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have had to vaqueros and a tejon i fell that the vaquero set up right is deeper but the tejon give me better feed back but then again my cuttlass umax is a lot of fun

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have had to vaqueros and a tejon i fell that the vaquero set up right is deeper but the tejon give me better feed back but then again my cuttlass umax is a lot of fun

My Vaquero and modded Cibola are both deeper than the Tejon on silver coins. Even though the Vaquero and Cibola are hot on nickels and gold rings, the Tejon is even hotter and deeper. I guess that's why it's such a good relic detector. It excels at finding bullets and small buttons.

tabman

metalfun

Jun 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tabman Thanks for the vid.Hope things are going great for ya.I talked to Rusty last night he said you had the new coil for the Vaq,Had time to try it out yet?HH

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tabman Thanks for the vid.Hope things are going great for ya.I talked to Rusty last night he said you had the new coil for the Vaq,Had time to try it out yet?HH

It's been hot and dry since I got it and I haven't had time to do any field testing with it yet. It's very light for its size.

I'm waiting on some rain to soften the ground. It's like concrete!

tabman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey my fellow Tennessean. It's hot and dry hard on this side as well. In the day, I used to love using the threshold hum and headphones on my Tesoro's/F5 and used my Samson shovel. Lately, if I can't get it with the length of my Viking, I let 'em go. This hard dirt doesn't get any softer with depth.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really impressed with what this video showed. When I get a chance, I intend to try similar settings with my Eldo umax to see what happens. For what it's worth with my Vaquero, I see a more dramatic, significant increase in depth when the sensitivity is well into the red zone compared to my other Tesoros.
luvsdux

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

Hobojo, just now reading this thread and greater depth performance on the Vaq with the GB turned 1/4 turn negative. Can you relate more about how this technique improved the outlaws depth?

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobojo, just now reading this thread and greater depth performance on the Vaq with the GB turned 1/4 turn negative. Can you relate more about how this technique improved the outlaws depth?
I think the Outlaws sens is best when its not driven too hard 7 or 8 with the 8" doughnut coil.
The new RSD coil is the way to go if your trying to maximize the Outlaws depth. It also appears that New coil can be pushed a little harder on the sens 10 or in the red, I'm thinking its because of its DD design.
So overall I think this technique is not preformed well by the Outlaw but , the nice thing is the Outlaw can do it just like the Vaq and the Cibola. Just don't expect the same type of results.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate this video being made and being shared. Couple of guys asked me about running slightly negative late last year on their Tesoros and I now know what they were talking about. I just started using a Vaquero again and I needed a video like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread