Tesoro Compadre & Silver uMax Comparison

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
No, they are different.
The Compadre is true 180 ED, (accepts all metals), the Silver is 120.
The Compadre has older and different circuitry, a throwback model before high gain-low noise became all the rage because everyone started screaming for more depth.
All Tesoros are great and pretty sensitive especially with sniper coils which up the sensitivity a bit, but there are some things about the Compadre and what it can do and find in certain situations that is otherworldly.
Nothing I have ever used including a Vaq with a sniper coil, no combinations of detectors, coils or settings can find targets that are near, next to or even leaning on big metal anywhere as easily and effortlessly as the Compadre can by listening for that double beep.
Nothing.

As far as gold all Tesoros will do a fine job on most, but as far as the extreme smaller micro jewelry like gold pinbacks for earrings or very tiny studs I believe the Compadre will hit harder and see them better.
Those types are more rare, rings should not be a problem for either and the Silver might get a bit deeper.
When it comes to chains I have found them with all kinds of detectors both silver and gold, but the Compadre is still the best chain sniffer I have ever swung.

If you are a jewelry hunter use anything you want but always have a Compadre handy if you want the best shot at everything out there.
Golfers have many clubs but they all have a putter.
Every hunter in this hobby should have a Compadre in the arsenal even if just used sparingly and in certain situations.
For the price of a decent coil you will get a whole detector that can and will frequently drop your jaw.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger27, you're are so right about what you stated about the Compadre. It's one amazing machine! It was my very first detector and I found lots of silver chains with it and gold rings. Once I stopped using it as my primary detector and starting swinging other detectors, my silver chain finds came to a streaking halt. I still have it and I now have a new Compadre with the 8 inch coil on its way to my front doorstep that I plan to get modded with a sensitivity control knob.

It's by far the best detector for jewelry hunting in its price range. Maybe in any price range.

However, if I could only have one detector and I had to pick between the Silver µMax and the Compadre, I'd pick the Silver µMax.

tabman

OP
OP
H

Ham

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Tabman, a compadre with a sensitivity control knob would be great.

OP
OP
H

Ham

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[QUOTE=tabman;4559149

"However, if I could only have one detector and I had to pick between the Silver µMax and the Compadre, I'd pick the Silver µMax."

Tabman....Why would you prefer the Silver uMax over the Compadre? Would you prefer a modified Compadre (with sensitivity control) over the Silver umax?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver uMax and you'll have a lifetime warranty. A modded padre voids the warranty

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver uMax and you'll have a lifetime warranty. A modded padre voids the warranty

How sweet the sound of a lifetime warranty!!!!! Thank you Tesoro.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you can change coils on the Silver.

OP
OP
H

Ham

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one were to purchase a second hand compadre (5.75 or 8" coil) & mod it with a sensitivity knob, would it be similar to the silver µMax? Compadre having a higher frequency than the silver umax but no option for accessory coils.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If one were to purchase a second hand compadre (5.75 or 8" coil) & mod it with a sensitivity knob, would it be similar to the silver µMax? Compadre having a higher frequency than the silver umax but no option for accessory coils.

The Silver µMax has a discrimination switch where you so you can switch between the ED-120 and ED-180 circuit (all metal). While switched to the ED-120 circuit you set the discrimination to any point above where most nails discriminates out. At its minimum discrimination setting a nail is just discriminated out. The Compadre does a better job detecting small gold necklaces, but the Silver µMax is deeper on silver coins, but still can hit a gold ring hard. Also the Compadre is famous for being able to detect a coin that's next to a metal pole by sounding off a double beep. No other known detector can do this. This ability is great for searching next to the metal poles at tot lots and chain links fences at sports fields where people lay their things next to those fences.

Both detectors are great, but different.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compadre & Silver uMax Comparison

I like the fact that the with the Silver set at min it won't hit on junk bits of iron. I did not really realize this until the other day when searching for that lost wedding band. I saw a few nails in different spots on top of the ground. I could barely get a peep out of them with disc set at minimum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread