Tesoro: When It Rains It Pours

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to stay home today due the rock hard ground from the lack of rain and the high temperatures. I figured it would be a good time to finally get around to cleaning up some clad coins and getting them ready to cash in.

I have around three 5 gallon bucket fulls of clad coins to clean and sort. I'm putting the dimes, nickels and quarters into one container to be taken to Coinstar and I'm putting the copper and zinc pennies into another container to be separated later. Low and behold, I found a 1945 War Nickel.

Washing all the crud off made it stand out. Finding it got my attention, so I started looking closely at all the coins that I thought were clad. I ended up finding 5 Wheat Pennies and another War Nickel (1942). I only cleaned a coffee can full, so there is no telling what I might find while sitting around in the air conditioning waiting on some rain. LOL

tabman

War%20Niclels%20001_zpsblqraym1.jpg

War%20Niclels%20006_zpswttfuo5u.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three 5 gallon buckets? That's a lot of coinage!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three 5 gallon buckets? That's a lot of coinage!

I'm going to cash in the clad in and buy some silver coins while the price is down on silver. In a few years the clad coins won't be worth much.

It's going to take me forever to clean and sort all those coins.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea! It's probably the easiest way for some of "us" to obtain silver coins!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea! It's probably the easiest way for some of "us" to obtain silver coins!

I guarantee that if you hunted right along side of me you'd be finding plenty of silver coins. It's all about location, having the right detector and using the correct settings when it comes to finding silver coins. Finding silver coins is easy, finding gold rings is super hard when you're not at a beach.

tabman

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that's a lot of coins. I dug $510 last year and it was "maybe" 1/2 to 2/3 of a 5 gal bucket by volume.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm coinstar.:laughing7: silver ummm.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most I have ever ha at a coinstar was $86. That was a year and a half of mostly beach and some dirtfishing.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that's a lot of coins. I dug $510 last year and it was "maybe" 1/2 to 2/3 of a 5 gal bucket by volume.

Keep in mind, I've never cleaned any clad coins to cash in. By the time I get home from detecting I don't feel like cleaning a bunch of dirty clad coins. I'll clean up my silver and gold finds and halfway clean my wheat pennies and thrown them into a jar with some olive oil to finish cleaning them. On top of all that, I have to clean my detectors and digging accessorizes, recharge batteries, sharpen my digging tool, take and post pictures. It's a job, but it's a lot of fun and additive!

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ummm coinstar.:laughing7: silver ummm.

Actually, a person who mainly shoots for clad coins and takes the money he finds doing that and buys silver coins will probably have more silver coins at the end of the year than a person who mainly just shoots for silver coins. However, the thrill of popping a silver coin freshly out of the ground is priceless. :icon_thumleft: It always puts a big smile on my face.

tabman

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, a person who mainly shoots for clad coins and takes the money he finds doing that and buys silver coins will probably have more silver coins at the end of the year than a person who mainly just shoots for silver coins. However, the thrill of popping a silver coin freshly out of the ground is priceless. :icon_thumleft: It always puts a big smile on my face.

tabman

I have no doubt that is absolutely true! Any particular silver coins we should be buying?

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no doubt that is absolutely true! Any particular silver coins we should be buying?

I don't really know which silver coins I should be buying. I plan on buying plain ole silver coins. Nothing fancy.

Sooner or later, our national debt is going to come to forefront of our problems and the prices of silver and gold are going to skyrocket and the dollar is going to plummet. U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread