Vaquero Coils

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently acquired a Vaquero through a trade deal....which is one of the very few Tesoros that i have not owned. My question is how much performance benefit will the Vaquero gain with 10x12 DD coil over stock 9x8 concentric? Or is the money better spent on the little sniper coil? I hunt everything from open fields with few signals.....to iron infested homesites...to the occasional trashy park......thanks.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently acquired a Vaquero through a trade deal....which is one of the very few Tesoros that i have not owned. My question is how much performance benefit will the Vaquero gain with 10x12 DD coil over stock 9x8 concentric? Or is the money better spent on the little sniper coil? I hunt everything from open fields with few signals.....to iron infested homesites...to the occasional trashy park......thanks.

I never did like the 10 x 12 DD coil, because it's weight made the Vaquero a little nose heavy for my liking. A better bet would be Tesoro's new 11 x 8 DD coil, because it's the same weight as the 9 x8 inch coil. It's gets about the same depth as the 9 x 8 inch concentric coil in my mild soil, but it covers ground faster.

My favorite coils are the Tesoro 5 x 10 DD coil and the NEL Sharpshooter coil. Both coils have about the same performance.

If you decide to go with the Tesoro 5.75 inch coil, get the concentric, not the wide-scan.

tabman

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tabman.....didnt know a 8x11 DD was out there....
Why do you recommend the 5.75 conc. over DD?
I have used the small DD on Cibola and concentric on Compadre but not on any others....

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tabman.....didnt know a 8x11 DD was out there....
Why do you recommend the 5.75 conc. over DD?
I have used the small DD on Cibola and concentric on Compadre but not on any others....

The small concentric coil discriminates better and is deeper in mild soil. According to Monte, who hunts mainly in bad ground, says that the small 5.75 concentric coil handles it just fine.

tabman

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good enough....thanks Tabman.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 10z12 I will let you try to see if you like it. Like Tabman said it is heavy. I wonder how it compares to the new Tesoro 8x11 or a 13" Ultimate coil as far as weight is concerned. I think the 10x12 even seems heavy on the Tejon and it has 8 double A batteries counterbalancing it. The Vaq would only feel more nose heavy not having any weight to counterbalance it.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 10z12 I will let you try to see if you like it. Like Tabman said it is heavy. I wonder how it compares to the new Tesoro 8x11 or a 13" Ultimate coil as far as weight is concerned. I think the 10x12 even seems heavy on the Tejon and it has 8 double A batteries counterbalancing it. The Vaq would only feel more nose heavy not having any weight to counterbalance it.

Tesoro's new 8 x 11 inch wide-scan coil weighs in at 1lb with scuff cover attached. The same weight as the stock 9 x 8 inch concentric coil. This new coil is very light for its size and in mild soil gets the same depth as the 9 x 8 inch concentric does. I imagine it will do better in the red devil soil that's found in parts of Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the video Tesoro has out I thought it was quite a bit deeper. This was comparing the 8" donut to the 8 x 11 on a Silver I believe.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread