luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are you going to put a sensitivity mod on the compadre aswell? Because, although i love my little compadre....it would not be one of my top choices for deeper. older coins since you cant run it hot. Tejon would be ok but is really a relic machine.....I would look at Vaquero, Cibola and Silver Umax out of their new line up.

Digger - The Compadre runs as hot as the internal pot is set -- you can't easily run it hotter or tone it down if needed. It's in full power at the all metal setting, period.
luvsdux

OP
OP
texasgold

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw 3 coil package and clean sweep
Me too, I regretted selling my Compadre.

I can understand that a manufacturer, be it Tesoro or another one, has to have a cheap entry-level model to hold up with the competition.

Here in EU, I can drive maximum 60 miles and buy 4 different models of the Compadre.

I am convinced that the preset sensitivity, the fixed GB setting, the broad iron range and the frequency are the only reasons why the Compadre is such a good coins, and especially gold jewelry detector.

By buying a Compadre w/connector (EU) or modding one (US), you can have a set of the best of three worlds : 5.75", 7", and 8". The 9x8" coil too, if you've got one on another detector.

I would go for the Compadre if you want to hunt for gold jewelry and use little disc, and for the Vaq over the Tejon for two main reasons : 1x9v battery vs twox4 AA holders, and the dual disc is dangerous : a deep signal in disc 1 can be silenced, though good, in disc 2 because it's too deep for that 2nd disc setting.

Plus I really like those ORIGINAL µMAX designs, adding screens and AA batteries ruins it (speaking about design). Just MHO, and not bashing those Deleon, Cortes and Tejon, but I do not consider them to be true "µMAX".

HH

Grumpy

Interesting, I may have to see about getting an EU Compadre with Connector shipped here. I doubt it will have the same discrim settings though such as tabs, nickels, zinc.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Texasgold : "Interesting, I may have to see about getting an EU Compadre with Connector shipped here. I doubt it will have the same discrim settings though such as tabs, nickels, zinc."

Actually, it has, just as the two other US versions we have here (hardwided 5.75 and 8"). The Connector version is fitted with the 8" too, but has an US faceplate.

Only the French Compadre has no US coinage indications, but has a connector AND a volume control.

Just Google "Tesoro Compadre pro", and click on any of the french vendors links to see one.

But the point is you can mod an US one to fit a connector, and have the three models that ever existed in one detector.

Kind of a Super-Compadre...

And of course choose coils (5pins) in function of the hunt you intend to do, these coils will be usable on all 5pins µMAX detectors, for a later upgrade. (but NOT with the Vaq'/Tejon).

Grumpy

OP
OP
texasgold

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw 3 coil package and clean sweep
Texasgold : "Interesting, I may have to see about getting an EU Compadre with Connector shipped here. I doubt it will have the same discrim settings though such as tabs, nickels, zinc."

Actually, it has, just as the two other US versions we have here (hardwided 5.75 and 8"). The Connector version is fitted with the 8" too, but has an US faceplate.

Only the French Compadre has no US coinage indications, but has a connector AND a volume control.

Just Google "Tesoro Compadre pro", and click on any of the french vendors links to see one.

But the point is you can mod an US one to fit a connector, and have the three models that ever existed in one detector.

Kind of a Super-Compadre...

And of course choose coils (5pins) in function of the hunt you intend to do, these coils will be usable on all 5pins µMAX detectors, for a later upgrade. (but NOT with the Vaq'/Tejon).

Grumpy

I'll have to see if I can get a french company or ebayer to ship me one!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If Silver Umax would have went 2 inches deeper on a silver dime in my soil....it would be my favorite detector!

I gotta agree with this one, but despite the fact it is not a depth demon, it is still my favorite detector.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like the Compadre, you might consider the Silver µMax. You can change coils, It has a sensitivity control knob, you can switch from the discriminate mode (ED120) to a motion all metal mode. It also has a super sweet audio tone and it detects deeper than the Compadre. Then again, the Compadre is a pretty amazing machine itself.

Google - 'the amazing tesoro silver umax'.

tabman

I have never used a Compadre, but I will agree with Tabman on the Silver uMax. I don't have a need to get a Compadre because it would have to be some kind of good to beat a Silver. Tabman is right, the audio on the Silver is sweet.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you think about your Tejon rainyday101?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions