Tesoro Umax Bandito

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Most any Tesoro in the right hands and at a good location is going to produce some super nice finds. What amazing me is how Tesoro is able to put so much power into such a small µMax package.

The Bandido II µMax is favored over its predecessor the Bandido µMax, because it has an exterior threshold control knob and is a little deeper, so they say.

tabman

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it probably won't out perform my vaquero or cibola but probably look pretty nice mounted on the wall.lol. own 5 tesoro's now outside my deus and at pro and sure live them and hunt often with all them. Would like to get my cibola modded like yours tab if I find someone to do it. How did the mod turn out on your compadre?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it probably won't out perform my vaquero or cibola but probably look pretty nice mounted on the wall.lol. own 5 tesoro's now outside my deus and at pro and sure live them and hunt often with all them. Would like to get my cibola modded like yours tab if I find someone to do it. How did the mod turn out on your compadre?

The Compadre mod turned out nicely. It probably won't get much use, because the Vaquero and Cibola perform so well at the places that I usually detect.

I really need to put more time in with my Tejon and learn how best to use it. The Tejon isn't anything like the Vaquero, Cibola or most other Tesoro detectors. It has a different language. It's a little hotter on gold jewelry and I'm thinking about hooking it up to my newly acquired CleanSweep coil and hit some sports fields.

Also along the way I like trying other brands to make sure that I'm swinging the very best detector for the task that's available. It' hard not to love a Tesoro once you learn how to use one.

'Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero' Kindle Book is the best $10 dollars that I've ever spent. The book does a great job explaining in detail how to use both detectors and along the way explains why digital readout screens fall short. It's a great read even if you don't own a Tesoro.

Right now I'm ground because of the dry soil conditions and extreme heat. So presently I'm spending my time researching and looking for new places to detect. Finding good locations to detect is really important.

tabman

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm lucky I have old mining sites and homesteads around the mountains around me so I get to hunt through the summer. My friend uses the tejon he does alright with it but my vaquero tends to smoke him most trips. I would say on a 6 to 8 hour hunt I spend half the time with the deus and half with the vaquero.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has to be a tone mod for Vaq, its such a deep machine but I just cant stand the quack, quack. I guess it lives up to its name Vquack , Vquack.

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The high tone vaquero is a lot better I assume than the low tine. If the low tone is like my cibola than I see what you mean by the quack sound. I used the tejon for a little while but it didn't seem to perform as good for me as my vaq. Might be just me but seemed every time I would go back to the car and get my vaq I would start pulling the good stuff. I love my tesoros but I don't ever regret graduating to deusland. Only detector I have ever used that outperformed my tesoros

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Bandito today. All I can say is wow, they must have found it in some grandpa's closet never used because this thing looks brand new. I fired it up and tested it against the compadre with the same size 8 inch donut coil. It was about 1 1/2 inches deeper than the compadre on air test and seemed to separate the same on Montes nail board test. Not going to replace my vaquero but very pleased with the look and quality of this old beautiful tesoro!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Bandito today. All I can say is wow, they must have found it in some grandpa's closet never used because this thing looks brand new. I fired it up and tested it against the compadre with the same size 8 inch donut coil. It was about 1 1/2 inches deeper than the compadre on air test and seemed to separate the same on Montes nail board test. Not going to replace my vaquero but very pleased with the look and quality of this old beautiful tesoro!

That's good news! What kind of headphones are you using?

tabman

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use kill b wasps tab. I really like the sounds of them with my tesoros. Right now I am using a pair of earbuds with them though cause it's to hot to wear the wasps. Hopefully it cools off soon.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use kill b wasps tab. I really like the sounds of them with my tesoros. Right now I am using a pair of earbuds with them though cause it's to hot to wear the wasps. Hopefully it cools off soon.

The same ones that I use. I can't get along without them. They're the best that I've ever used with my Tesoro detectors.

When I first got my Vaquero, I didn't like it at all, because the audio was too bass sounding, but the Killer B Wasp Headphones changed all that. Now the Vaquero sounds like sweet music to my ears.

I can easily hear the roundness of a coin and the sharp edge of big iron.

The only time that I get fooled by big iron is when I get in to a big hurry and not listening to what the Vaquero is telling me.

tabman

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "high tone" change over for the Vaq. $15 when I had it done.
luvsdux

DirtToad

Greenie
May 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Bandido II original this summer and like it really well. I think the coil may not be working properly (shorting) since it randomly chatters especially in dense grass after about ten or so minutes here lately. I reground balance and all with no luck. Sometimes it takes an hour or two before it starts sometimes right after I start. I'm looking at the new 11x8 rsd coil. Y'all think it will breathe new life into this old fella? Or maybe a 7-8" widescan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread