If You Could Only Have One Tesoro Detector Which One Would You Choose And Why?

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be the Tejon for me,because it is as deep as the Vaquero that i had,and the old house sites that i hunt it it will unmax targets in nails and iron better than anything that i have owned yet.And believe me or not you have two different Tejons,you have a cold one and a hot one.If you get the hot one on depth you better keep it because you dont get them everyday.That is why i will keep mine,and Tabman how you have been finding things with your tesoros ill probably have to call 911 and get the fire departments to put yours out your tesoros are on fire LOL!!!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Tabman. As you know I have been checking out the Tejon. I still think it would be my choice as I've heard a number of folks talk about how good/deep it is for relic hunting.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned and tried several tesoro's from the tejon, vaquero,cibola, Bandido micromax, 5.75 compadre, 8in compadre and now the eldorado. I haven't got to try the eldorado yet but out of all them my vaquero has found the most and is by far the deepest. For all around hunting I think the vaq is the best.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although i really liked the Eldorado Umax and the Tejon.....i will go with the Vaquero. In my ground it is deeper than the Eldorado and more stable than the Tejon.....and the new widescan coil makes it even better!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the Tejon but maybe a vaquero

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are both great machines....

The Tejon has
1) a shade more depth (in the right ground)
2) Dual disc (very cool feature)

The Vaquero has
1) lighter weight
2) one 9v battery (same as pin pointer)
3) more stable operation/ easier to GB in some soils.
4) $150 cheaper!

I like em' both!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice comparison DiggerinVA. That is actually pretty helpful to me.

Mike Hillis

Greenie
Nov 9, 2005
Southwestern United States
Detector(s) used
Currently own and use: F75 LTD w/DST, Etrac, V3, Gold Kruzer, ATPro, Compadre, ETPro, 8500, GSII.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The short lived New Toned Golden Micromax. That was a little gem for a inland jewelry hunter. The gold tone that could be adjusted up or down the gold discrimination was great.

HH
Mike

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The short lived New Toned Golden Micromax. That was a little gem for a inland jewelry hunter. The gold tone that could be adjusted up or down the gold discrimination was great.

HH
Mike

I remember this great post of yours:

I set the Notch Width dial to the 10 o:clock position. I set my Discrimination to Minimum. I set my Threshold at the 3 o:clock position, and I run the Sensitivity just a little into the red past the 10 mark. I leave the Notch switch to off.

I get 7 very distintive tones.

1-- Low tone = always iron.
2-- Mixed low/gold tone (I call that nickel tone the gold tone) = low conductive foil paper, iron with junk attached, etc
3-- Gold tone = foil/rings/nickels/modern tabs (though at depth some modern tabs move more into tone range 4)
4-- mixed gold/zinc tone = larger rings, tabs, very thin silver rings
5-- zinc tone = zincs, screwcaps, steel bottle caps,
6-- mixed zinc/high tone = some corroded zincs, steel bottle caps,
7-- high tone = high coins/silver

I like it. I can hunt with no discrimination and the resulting loss of depth (the cleansweep already has a depth limitation and discrimination just adds to it). I can quickly tell the conductive range of every target, and I can focus on what I like to listen for, gold.

I like the 10 o:clock setting because most all of my gold rings (except for the large men's rings) will sound off with with a gold tone or some blending of the gold tone.

I do use the notch switch sometimes to clean the audio signal. See where it's leaning the most. And sometimes I get a lot of audio and need the wide notch to clear my ears so I can tell the low tone and zinc tones apart.

Works well.

HH
Mike

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm noticing in most all of your detector lists the Compadre............that's the one I'm leaning towards as a total novice with a limited budget.
Thoughts?? Opinions??

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chizzy, you can never go wrong starting out with the compadre. There is a reason why most of us own the compadres and vaqueros. They plain flat find treasure.
Compadres are so much fun to use. When I go out one of mine is always with me.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The compadre is not a depth monster, but still worth twice what they sale for! My 9 year old loves the Comp with the small coil and does very well with it.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My strongest thought for one only Tesoro would be one with manual ground balance for sure and preferably one that balances in all metal and disc. That said, no one is ever hurt by having a Compadre as a choice, but IMHO it is just limited enough that I wouldn't recommend it as the only machine in the arsenal.
luvsdux

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strongest thought for one only Tesoro would be one with manual ground balance for sure and preferably one that balances in all metal and disc. That said, no one is ever hurt by having a Compadre as a choice, but IMHO it is just limited enough that I wouldn't recommend it as the only machine in the arsenal.
luvsdux

I would agree.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the Vaquero, Outlaw, Silver Umax and 5.75 Compadre. Only one I still own is the Vaquero and it will remain my primary machine until someone gives me a Etrac, Deus or CTX:laughing7:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I own a bunch of them. All used. I picked them up cheap at pawns or individuals. I did it that way so I could enjoy more different detectors. I like the features of the Tejon. I find it unstable at times. Its moody depending on the soil I suppose. The Vaquero wins the trophy for ALL AROUND COWBOY . I have always heard rumors that the Cibola is slightly hotter than a Vaq. But I have never tested it so I dont know. I dont like the rubber button pinpoint feature on some models. I hunt civil war in remote woods. I like hunting in all metal and after finding a target switching to disc and checking the target, I like a machine I can flip a toggle from all metal to disc. Which means I should be using an Outlaw or Tejon for my style of hunting. I may try " moding " a Cibola and add ground balance and add a toggle for my specific hunting style. Or maybe I will forget all of that and use the Tejon which I love when its in a good mood. When my is acting up I woulld just go get the "back up" SilverUmax out of the truck. Best All Around goes to the Vaquero

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread