Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to get into some water detecting but would like to use it as a land backup. I can pick up a used tiger shark for less than an AT Pro. Anyone use it on land. What kind of performance would it resemble compared to other Tesoros. I have owned most. I would just get an AT Pro but the tiger shark is more waterproof/200 feet.
If your hunting saltwater you don't want the Tiger Shark, you want the Sand Shark. Tiger is a freshwater detector.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brackish water. Around 10% the salinity of seawater. Tesoro says its a fresh and saltwater detector

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't used mine a lot on land, but trying it out when I first got it, I had to set up the internal sensitivity a bit. Then it performed pretty much like any of the umax series I've used.
luvsdux

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your hunting saltwater you don't want the Tiger Shark, you want the Sand Shark. Tiger is a freshwater detector.

The Tiger Shark is basically a freshwater detector even though it was a saltwater mode. Not all beaches are the same as for salt content and amount of black sand. That being said, the AT Pro would be even worse at saltwater beaches an would false all the time. It does fair on dry land however. The Tiger is heavy for land hunting and lacks a pinpoint mode so your holes would be to much damage in grass. Like a golfer you need different clubs for each shot, same goes for detecting with diff detectors.

The Sand Shark is an excellent saltwater beach detector and cheaper than an CZ21 or Excel. It would be my last choice for land hunting as it has almost no Disc for trash in hard dirt.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the ATpro or AT gold will be a better fit for your situation....and they both work great in fresh water rivers and streams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread