Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raise the coil, make mental note, then dig it. Knowing the depth is not really a big deal. IF I find myself digging really deep on a target thats deeper than I want to dig , I stop and move on! I'll let the next guy dig it. Cans pose the biggest problem, they always give the "good" sound. By raising the coil I can make a reasonable guess that it might be a can, then I dig it and sure engough it is.
Not sure that helps, but what the heck.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the tesoros I own except my compadres the deeper the target is the fainter the beep is. If I'm using my vaquero and it's really faint I don't even bother. Just depends on the one I'm using.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I never worry about depth of the target. I don't normally even look at that part of the display on the detectors I use that have a display. If the target would seem to sound and respond as a viable target, I'm going to dig, period. Depth is a non-issue usually as far as my decision to dig or not.
luvsdux

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found out this week that my sand shark goes pretty deep!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others have stated...with some experience you will be able to tell the approx. depth of most targets by audio strength and possible lifting coil. But you will still have the problem that even the best machines with meters have....that is large targets. A deep can lid may appear the same as a mid-depth quarter....

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And another thought," air-tests"are only a "rough" estimate of the max depth of a detector as most of you long time detectorist know. Me being a NewB , it took sometime for me to actually see this in the field. All of my Tesoro's have either been deeper or shallower than said "air-tests" depending on soil type and moisture content of the soil. Tesoro's are great machines and WILL find the goodies. Ask any long time Tesoro owner.
Again hope this helps, if not what the heck just my 2 cents.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my coins are shallow enough that I can probe them with a screw driver an pop them out. Those that are deeper require more time spent so I pass on these and move on. I can recover more targets while other guys play with pinpointer an digging plugs that get park managers uptight enough to close parks to metal detecting. They still allow me to hunt cause I do no damage. It's all in the fun anyway.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the tesoros I own except my compadres the deeper the target is the fainter the beep is. If I'm using my vaquero and it's really faint I don't even bother. Just depends on the one I'm using.

Welgund you might want to start digging those 'fainter' beeps when using the Vaquero. Especially if they're small and soft sounding. Most of the silver coins that I find have that soft faint audio response that I call a whisper signal. If you haven't read 'Mastering The Tesoro Vaquero And Tejon' you should, because it's well worth the ten bucks.

Cryer777, that book addresses depth as well.

tabman

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can only find that book for Kindle. Do you know if it exists in hardcopy?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can only find that book for Kindle. Do you know if it exists in hardcopy?

You can download the e-book and read it on your computer. You don't need a 'Kindle'. I use 'Window Cloud Reader'. It's free and you get it when you purchase the book.

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you know how deep your target is with a Tesoro? Is it just the loudness of the beep?

Yes, signal strength is a fantastic guide to depth with Tesoro machines. A strong, solid, "clean" signal almost always means the target is 3"-6" in depth. Yes this can be affected by the size of the target, however big/deep iron has a slightly different signal than shallow silver, which you will learn after 75-100 hours on a good set of headphones.

Always swing as low as you can (I usually scrape the dirt or grass). When you get a "screamer" signal that almost overloads the headphones, continue to swing (pinpoint) the target while slowly lifting the coil higher and higher till the signal disappears and make note of the height/depth. Some folks don't dig "can" signals, but I found $300.00 in wadded up 1950s bills in an old coffee can once, so I dig it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread