Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Cortes, Explorer II, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not owned a detector with notch discrimination, but my take on it is this- the Golden Umax was known for having a very accurate notching calibration, that really worked. But they had a fixed GB. I assume that if you try to change coils, or manually ground balance, you would knock the perfectly preset notch placements slightly out of whack, and the golden would cease being a magic machine. Same with the Cortes?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Cortes. Seemed like a good machine, but I just had a hard time seeing the readout. It just wasn't as clear or large as other machines I've got used to using. I wanted to use it more like a Vaquero or Cibola, but it wasn't quit the same.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always wanted to try the Cortes. Rene, it looks like you have done some vids of the Cortes on YouTube. I was watching them the other night. I am going to purchase the Outlaw soon, because it has the GB for the discriminate mode, but then I am going to take a serious look at the Cortes (unless of course the Cazador comes out and has a TID). With the Cortes, you still have the normal discriminate search that is 'analog' and then you get a digital interpretation by sound when you push the toggle switch over (I could be wrong about that, but that is my understanding from what I have read). I also like the fact that you will get a TID number while searching in all metal.

The Cortes has a reputation for being a deep detector, even in the preset GB descrimination mode. Keep making Vids! And please show us the signals on the Cotres before you dig.

Of all the VIDS I have watched with machines that have the TID, they all seem to jump around a lot on a target, and many seem to give a high value to some aluminum tabs. But the Cortes and Deleon seem to be a little more accurate/stable, and the lack of agreement between the the block ID and the TID will often indicate junk, at least that is what I have seen and read.

Good luck with the Cortes.

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Cortes and really like how light it is. I used it for about 2 hunting seasons, my only complaint is that I've had to send it in for the same problem twice now. The switch for all metal(pinpoint) mode has stopped working on me. They replaced the switch the 1st time and apparently the 2nd time the electronics part of it got dirty and only needed a cleaning. I love that it has a lifetime warranty but it's aggravating when you have to lose detecting time because your detector needs a repair. I'm thinking that the dirt is getting through the little gap where the toggle switch is located but not 100% sure. I have owned a Garrett and 2 Minelabs and never had a problem with either of those brands. As far as the Cortes, I think that for the price it should be better quality regardless of the lifetime warranty. Until I see that improved upon, I will stick to my Minelab even though it is much heavier than my Tesoro. Question is now, do I sell the Cortes or hold onto it ? Hopefully this doesn't offend any Cortes owners, I really enjoyed mine and found one of my best finds with it. I just had the last repair/cleaning done about 2 months ago and the detector is just sitting. Sad but as of right now I have no use for it. Just wanted to make sure that if I get rid of it, it will be in in perfect working order. Happy hunting everyone.

OP
OP
R

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Cortes and really like how light it is. I used it for about 2 hunting seasons, my only complaint is that I've had to send it in for the same problem twice now. The switch for all metal(pinpoint) mode has stopped working on me. They replaced the switch the 1st time and apparently the 2nd time the electronics part of it got dirty and only needed a cleaning. I love that it has a lifetime warranty but it's aggravating when you have to lose detecting time because your detector needs a repair. I'm thinking that the dirt is getting through the little gap where the toggle switch is located but not 100% sure. I have owned a Garrett and 2 Minelabs and never had a problem with either of those brands. As far as the Cortes, I think that for the price it should be better quality regardless of the lifetime warranty. Until I see that improved upon, I will stick to my Minelab even though it is much heavier than my Tesoro. Question is now, do I sell the Cortes or hold onto it ? Hopefully this doesn't offend any Cortes owners, I really enjoyed mine and found one of my best finds with it. I just had the last repair/cleaning done about 2 months ago and the detector is just sitting. Sad but as of right now I have no use for it. Just wanted to make sure that if I get rid of it, it will be in in perfect working order. Happy hunting everyone.
I understand the problem with the switches. I purchased toggle switch covers (boots) that screw on covering the switch. It makes the switch waterproof and dirt proof. The toggle switch boots are cheap and can be bought on line. Just Google them.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

The Rogue

Greenie
Mar 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes, Vaquero, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello new cortes owner (bought used),was wondering if there is a basic list to decipher what the ID numbers range through.

Last edited:

The Rogue

Greenie
Mar 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that was a silly newbie question, I suppose I'll figure it out as I go.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello new cortes owner (bought used),was wondering if there is a basic list to decipher what the ID numbers range through.

Hey mister Rogue, I also just got a used Cortes and was playing with it in the house today. Would have taken it outside, but it was snowing for the past couple hours (at the end of April!). Looks like air tests show clad and silver coins around 95. Don't remember where zinc cents came in number-wise, but it was telling me that I have a zinc... Iron nails and washer reads in at 0. Pretty cool.
I had read that the Cortes isn't too good in mineralized soil, as there's no GB in disc. Since that may give me trouble here, not sure how useful the Cortes will be for me. I'll play with it some and see how well it does.

Questions for Cortes users:

Has anyone looked into modding their Cortes to add functional GB in disc. mode?
Are they really poor with depth or target ID in badly mineralized soil?
Anyone using their Cortes in bad soil?

The Rogue

Greenie
Mar 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine died on me about 2 weeks ago. I still haven't sent it in yet as I've been super busy on a kitchen remodel.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine died on me about 2 weeks ago. I still haven't sent it in yet as I've been super busy on a kitchen remodel.

That's not encouraging...

I hope to play with mine today. Watching snow melt right now, but it should be gone this afternoon. Maybe I'll see if the Cortes ID will do what it's supposed to, and I can dig some coins that it tells me are coins... Those beavertail pulls sure sound like coins on my Tejon, but I understand that it was really intended as more of a deeper relic beeper than a coinshooter. ^_^

The Rogue

Greenie
Mar 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a fisher F2 the night my cortes died,I've been out with it a few times and it's pretty darn nice for park and playground digs. I ordered a Vaquero Saturday, I'm hoping it's here tomorrow!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up a fisher F2 the night my cortes died,I've been out with it a few times and it's pretty darn nice for park and playground digs. I ordered a Vaquero Saturday, I'm hoping it's here tomorrow!

Got a chance to play with my Cortes today, and typical of used electronics off eBay, it wasn't as good as the seller described it. It's both a bit cosmetically challenged and not working properly... I don't get the startup tone every time I switch it on, the GB pot is super touchy when just barely touching the knob, etc. Seems I also get false target signals outside, and my Tejon (purchased new) doesn't give me any of those problems.
So, I emailed Tesoro earlier today and got a call back from Allan Cannon, explaining the service process and cost for fixing mine up. Folks at Tesoro seem quite pleasant to deal with, so far. They answer right away, speak the national language and don't give you the run around.
I packed the Cortes up and will send it in tomorrow for service. Hopefully, it'll come back working like new, and looking a bit better too. ^_^

OP
OP
R

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a chance to play with my Cortes today, and typical of used electronics off eBay, it wasn't as good as the seller described it. It's both a bit cosmetically challenged and not working properly... I don't get the startup tone every time I switch it on, the GB pot is super touchy when just barely touching the knob, etc. Seems I also get false target signals outside, and my Tejon (purchased new) doesn't give me any of those problems.
So, I emailed Tesoro earlier today and got a call back from Allan Cannon, explaining the service process and cost for fixing mine up. Folks at Tesoro seem quite pleasant to deal with, so far. They answer right away, speak the national language and don't give you the run around.
I packed the Cortes up and will send it in tomorrow for service. Hopefully, it'll come back working like new, and looking a bit better too. ^_^

HI, your troubles don't sound serious. I have a Cortes and LOVE IT. Good luck.

223Larry

Sep 5, 2015
Waterford CA mother lode
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre,Goldbug 2,MXT e-Track four coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey pinenut you get that Cortes fixed and how's it work now.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey pinenut you get that Cortes fixed and how's it work now.I got on the way so any tips.
Larry, I was all set to send it in, but decided to return it to the seller...who then sent it in herself, and resold it on eBay for $75 more when she got it back.
I'm sure it works fine now, but I decided to stick with display-less Tesoros... I've since bought another Vaquero and two Eldorados! ^_^

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread