This Video Shows Some Of The Reasons Why I Swing A Tesoro Vaquero Metal Detector

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note to all new Detectorists reading this thread. When you see the same four or five members trashing Tesoro machines constantly, take a look at the machines they own. They ALL have a Tesoro - or two, and none of them can decide what brand or machines really work for them. In example, Dirtscratcher uses Tesoro, Minelab, and Teknetics! Most of these members can't seem to decide what they want for breakfast. much less what machine they think is right for them. :skullflag:

Update I just got an AT Pro. I know exactly what works for me. My explorer and t2 are for me the best pair, and I have many hundreds of hours on the t2 and over a thousand on explorer. I gave the vaquero a year and a half and was digging to much trash. Like I said before outrageous claims deserve a response.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I have stated I have used and enjoyed most brands out there.....but the statement above that the Explorer works good in heavy nails is not true. The minelab explorer's or etrac perform as poorly as any machine I have used in thick trash because of their extremely slow nature. There are more good choices in nail beds than I can list, but the Vaquero, although not at the top of the list would be above these minelabs. And speaking of false claims and videos; lets talk about the onees that claim the huge depth on those deep silvers with the etrac/explorer.......I can tell you that here, in central Virginia, it ain't happening! They get no more depth on coins than a Vaquero, AT Gold, T2/F75, etc. And then you have to figure in the price, the weight and the fact that they are operating at the speed of machines made the year I was born! It all goes back to use what you like! And most posts on here are based on opinions and not facts!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I have stated I have used and enjoyed most brands out there.....but the statement above that the Explorer works good in heavy nails is not true. The minelab explorer's or etrac perform as poorly as any machine I have used in thick trash because of their extremely slow nature. There are more good choices in nail beds than I can list, but the Vaquero, although not at the top of the list would be above these minelabs. And speaking of false claims and videos; lets talk about the onees that claim the huge depth on those deep silvers with the etrac/explorer.......I can tell you that here, in central Virginia, it ain't happening! They get no more depth on coins than a Vaquero, AT Gold, T2/F75, etc. And then you have to figure in the price, the weight and the fact that they are operating at the speed of machines made the year I was born! It all goes back to use what you like! And most posts on here are based on opinions and not facts!

In the statement above I don't say that. And that's your opinion and you don't say it's a fact or say that's how it is PERIOD so fair enough.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using Tesoros for a couple of years. I am definitely not an expert, but I listened to the 53Silver video tone on the dime, and how can it be said that the Vaq did not clearly tell you to dig? I can tell coins, I know beaver tails, square tabs, pop tops, iron, generally before they come out of the ground. But, some of those things are almost impossible to tell from valuable targets, so you have to dig some of the stuff. It is just part of it. Are you telling me that a Fisher or AT Pro will do a better job than I can do with my Vaq or even Compadre?

Yesterday I detected a fairly old school about 500 feet of sidewalk. I can quickly thumb the disc and identify, pinpoint, and extract a coin in almost no time flat, and be on the next one in a minute. Does an AT Pro really beat that? If you followed me with any other detector, I seriously doubt you will find many or even any coin targets. I have gotten that confident in the Vaquero. Those crackly or inconsistent targets that I left are going to be trash. Not coins. Possibly very small gold, but would need to slow down a bit, that is a job for another day. I don't have as much time to get into this hobby as I would like, but I have accumulated a pretty nice little pile of gold and silver goodies in that time with Tesoro detectors. You do have to learn the Vaq but I don't think it is terribly hard to do.

Also, I think the phrase "beep and dig" is misleading. I have spent the hours to learn the language, and the identification process is definitely not beep and dig. It just does not work that way.

Not necessity the ATP or a Fisher but several others can give you so much more info by tone alone and even on a 2 dimensional screen. I personally hated the ATP just because of its feel and cheapy audio sounds.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I have heard the opposite: The Explorer not so well in the heavy nails, due to the nulling and the resultant masking, The X-Terra 705 actually does better in iron nails. I think DS knows this. If I remember correctly, he purchased the T2, as it does better in heavy nail laden sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread