Nickels with the outlaw

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
As expected my nickel count has gone up with the Outlaw. One thing I did notice was the 5.75" cc disc out a nickle about at the cent mark and the 8 inch disc out the nickle just before the p in pull tab. As I hunt with both about the same amount, no big deal really, but I didn't notice this on my old Vaquero. The Vaquero is another nickle hog. I can generally tell nickles easier with the Tesoro's than the 2 greek machines I own.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen threads where some comment they don't find many nickels. I use mostly Tesoros and they hit nickels solidly, but I usually don't run my disc. very high so I'd expect that. I like to set my disc. to where a nickel just cracks out, then back off to where it hits hard. I don't go by the marked setting on the face plate as the knobs may not always match the marks. That way I shouldn't pass any gold jewelry hits.
luvsdux

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I've always have found more nickles with the tesoro's than the other machines I've use with the exception of the M6. The Outlaw is my third Tesoro. I do tend to hunt more with low disc. In tot lots or sand lots I use the disc at minimum. Some low target open area spots the same. I do use some more disc at at 10 o'clock and then thumb up to see if it is a nickle or pull tab and so on. In terrible trashy places I use the little coil and set knob right below zinc. I am new to the Outlaw and discovered my 5 cent mark is a little off of that mark. I also was convinced until this afternoon that the 8 inch coil and the 5.75 coil did not knock out the nickle in the same place. I discovered they do if the machine is ground balance correctly, so that is my bad. Mine does knock out nickles at just before the p in pull tab, which I marked with a fine point sharpie. Hunting with tesoro machines are a blast and I think give you a edge on jewelry. Cal

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Outlaw sure loves nickels and gold rings and still hits well on silver coins. The Vaquero and Cibola will hit nickels and gold rings harder and deeper. The Tejon will hit them even harder but it doesn't do any better on silver coins than the Vaquero and Cibola. I've found a lot of super deep Buffalo Nickels with the Tejon.

That's why I like going over the same site with different detectors and different search coil.

tabman

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of finding Nickels, there's a great article in the January, 2015 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures magazine titled How To Find Those Elusive Nickels , by Mike Sedlak. on page 50.

If you don't currently have a subscription, order as a back issue. Attached is a copy of the W & E Back Issues page so you can copy for ordering. On the chart the Jan.'15 appears to be available.

Note ! You may want to reduce the size of the attachment before printing. When I did an initial print test it took 7 pages and I couldn't figure out how to down-size with my Windows 8.1 system.

Nevertheless, that article is a keeper ! :wink:

ToddB64

Attachments

• Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, Jan. '15 issue. 001.jpg
    Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, Jan. '15 issue. 001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread