Best Operating Tips For The Tesoro Compadre

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my tip, Turn it on, set your discrimination, and swing it LOW and SLOW. Big Gold to you! :occasion14:

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry !

Terry & Others
: Any other posters that come to your mind as being Tops for sharing the best operating tips for the Tesoro Compadre ?

To clarify, my objective is to put together a list of usernames that are considered the best at posting great tips and tricks for operating the Tesoro Compadre (5.75 coil) to find Gold and Silver Jewelry and then following their posts on this subject to gain knowledge.

ToddB64

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the thing Todd, The Tesoro Compadre is one of, if not THE easiest metal detector to operate on the market. There are no tips or tricks to learn. It is a simple, straight forward single-frequency machine with excellent discrimination, depth, and sensitivity. You will learn MORE working the machine for two-hours, than you could here on the forum in months. Just get out there and swing it LOW and SLOW in places you have already used your other machines, and see what happens. - T

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the thing Todd, The Tesoro Compadre is one of, if not THE easiest metal detector to operate on the market. There are no tips or tricks to learn. It is a simple, straight forward single-frequency machine with excellent discrimination, depth, and sensitivity. You will learn MORE working the machine for two-hours, than you could here on the forum in months. Just get out there and swing it LOW and SLOW in places you have already used your other machines, and see what happens. - T

Terry,

Thanks for your above comments ! :icon_thumright:

My idea for this thread came after reading DIGGER27'S post #7 titled Tesoros, Tabs and other Trash....a novel and I was wondering if there are any other posters who share especially-good tips and tricks for finding gold and silver jewelry.

If interested in Digger's post, the route, etc. is shown below.

Forum > Metal Detecting Forum > Brands > Tesoro > "Compadre Sound Question" thread started by Talondale, dated Dec 10, 2013, 03:29 PM > Digger27's reply post #7 and his comments beginning after the second dash line, and particularly where he talks about thumbing the dial knob up past the point where the target signal fades out and then slowly thumbing the knob down to the point where the target signal comes in and noting the character of the signal at that point.

ToddB64

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also which one , small coil or large. Small one has its plus's like being able to get the coil very close to tot lot poles.
The Compadre is full of secert Tesoro magic and whitchcraft. If you use one you will become possessed with a desire to find every tot lot in your neighborhood. BEWARE THE COMPADRE.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,

Thanks for your above comments ! :icon_thumright:

My idea for this thread came after reading DIGGER27'S post #7 titled Tesoros, Tabs and other Trash....a novel and I was wondering if there are any other posters who share especially-good tips and tricks for finding gold and silver jewelry.

If interested in Digger's post, the route, etc. is shown below.

Forum > Metal Detecting Forum > Brands > Tesoro > "Compadre Sound Question" thread started by Talondale, dated Dec 10, 2013, 03:29 PM > Digger27's reply post #7 and his comments beginning after the second dash line, and particularly where he talks about thumbing the dial knob up past the point where the target signal fades out and then slowly thumbing the knob down to the point where the target signal comes in and noting the character of the signal at that point.

ToddB64

Great advice for the beginner - Absolutely. Thumbing the discrimination however, to me, is just a natural, intuitive experiment we ALL try and do. We all "learn" differently. The differences in tone strength and quality take about 100-150 hours on good headphones (pretty much impossible without them) to learn confidently. That "scratchy" signal is a pulltab. That "growl" on the end of the tone is big, deep, iron. USE the machine, THEN you can author a thread! :skullflag:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right, best to learn by just getting out and using it. I own two compadres and several other higher end tesoros and tid machines. I keep the compadre with the 5.75 in my truck with me all the time cause I use it for lunch time at work every day. I have an old closed down drive in behind my work that has been there since the 40s littered with ring pulls and bottle caps but the compadre has found me many silver and buffalo nickels there on my lunch hours lol. I set it to the N in iron and dig it all. At this setting it disc out bottle caps but leaves everything else. Great little detector.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Everyone is different, everyone learns to hunt with their tools a different way that makes it fun for them.
At first I used to literally dig it all, the best way to learn the fastest, but over time I changed and no longer do that for several reasons with any detector but that is me and I'm fine with it.
Still find a ton of great treasure despite that.
I love the start low, thumb up and then back down to listen for solid tones that just come in method, I dug carloads of trash before I got confident in this method, others set the disc and dig everything that beeps above it.
I could never do that but many do.
The bottom line is having the most fun and figuring out ways to accomplish that.

Curbdog

Feb 1, 2012
North Mid,TN
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer, Quest Q20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've dug gold, silver, and CW relics with my Compadre. Less sensitive to EMI than any of the digital lower-end offerings out there, too!

The Compadre is the best, for the price, detector there is!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great detector & all one needs if hunting for modern jewelry in parks/schools where a lot of depth is not really necessary (I had the 5.75" coil version). I prefer to set the disc low, like just about the top of iron, then you won't miss the little gold (& silver) earrings. If you don't mind missing the tiny gold stuff, set it to the 'O' in foil, & you will still hit most gold rings, etc... but won't be hitting on every tiny piece of foil.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread