New 11" x 8" coils Arrive: Look for Comparisons & Review!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I am in the market for a Tejon soon enough. Email me if you know someone selling one pretty reasonable. I did contact someone who wants about $375 for his. I would like to hold off for a slightly better deal if possible.

If I get a Tejon I will either part ways with my Vaquero or Compradre because I have too many machines already (I would keep them otherwise). I mostly keep a second Tesoro as a loaner so I am not sure which one would stay in the stable. I would hate to sell the Vaquero simply because it appears that folks have to sell them for less than half. I think they don't sell very quickly cause folks just don't know how well they work. IMO the brand is a sleeper.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uncle Sams mail service did something right yesterday,

View attachment 1259365

Impressed. With the coil and USPS.
Got mine at Big Valley detectors, in Cal. Got to support the locals. Gov Brown makes it hard engough to live in this crasy state its the least I can do to help others who are suffering under such oppresssion!

Nice. The entire US is going crazy or at least it seems. I recently started Facebooking and it is worse than watching the evening news when you follow a few political websites like I do. I look at FB for a few hours at night and then I want to take off from work the next day to swing a detector in order to feel better about the state of affairs.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Rusty. The major thing I enjoy with the 11" x 8" Widescan over the 12" x 10" coil is the lighter weight and better balance without LOSS of depth. If you put the 11" x 8" Widescan on your new Tejon, you may never take it off!.

That pretty much sums it up! Plus it can get into tighter places and probably unmask a little better since it a tad narrower and shorter. I mainly like its light weight without loss of depth over the 12 x 10 inch coil.

tabman

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It slices, it dices, its light weight. It has a nice narrow beam, I was able to pick out some clad in a picnic area that was very trashy with no problem. Nothing deep as the area was fairly new.
The " air " test showed some improvement over the stock 8" coil.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This coil will add some depth to the Outlaw making the "newest " Tesoro even newer. :thumb_up:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
It slices, it dices, its light weight. It has a nice narrow beam, I was able to pick out some clad in a picnic area that was very trashy with no problem. Nothing deep as the area was fairly new.
The " air " test showed some improvement over the stock 8" coil.
View attachment 1259598
View attachment 1259599

This coil will add some depth to the Outlaw making the "newest " Tesoro even newer. :thumb_up:

Hobojo, was this air test shown in the pic done using the outlaw?

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, settings, sens about 9, disc at 5 cents, thres just at a low hum, ground balance at mid point. Keep in mind the Outlaw is not a depth king, but sometimes its not about the depth. I was pleasantly suprised that the new coil gave an " air " reading of about 10" on a dime. Also keep in mind that result will vary when said dime is acutally in the ground.
Its hard for me to find the deep stuff in my area, most of my parks and schools are newer. The deepest stuff is usally 6 to 8 inches for coins. Even with my wife's Minelab Safari which is the deepest machine we own for parks, we still only find them in that range. The deepest target I ever dug with a Tesoro was a small ciruit board from a old flip phone 2x2". It was 18" in the wet sand and was found with my Sand Shark. Kind of cool.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would hate to sell the Vaquero simply because it appears that folks have to sell them for less than half. I think they don't sell very quickly cause folks just don't know how well they work. IMO the brand is a sleeper.

The reason I would not pay more than half price is because the warranty is not transferable no matter how new the detector is. If the item is selling for say $100 less than new, that money would be spent the first time the detector needed repair.
I didn't buy the Tejon because I don't need dual discrimination, and my Lobo has about the same frequency and depth.

The Lobo ST does seem to be happy with the 11x8. With discrimination cranked all the way up it does single out quarters and dimes well. After sweeping through an area with it, I go back through with a VDI machine to try to sort out the rest of what is left from the trash. In my park if I dug every signal, I would be thrown out for rototillering the lawn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason I would not pay more than half price is because the warranty is not transferable no matter how new the detector is. If the item is selling for say $100 less than new, that money would be spent the first time the detector needed repair.
I didn't buy the Tejon because I don't need dual discrimination, and my Lobo has about the same frequency and depth.

The Lobo ST does seem to be happy with the 11x8. With discrimination cranked all the way up it does single out quarters and dimes well. After sweeping through an area with it, I go back through with a VDI machine to try to sort out the rest of what is left from the trash. In my park if I dug every signal, I would be thrown out for rototillering the lawn.

I don't know Danny. You and I disagree on SO much! I have never had a problem getting high resale values on my Tesoro machines. The last used Vaquero I sold went for $375.00 a month ago. Of course, I take care of my machines and use coil covers. You say you can get the same depth from a Lobo Super Traq, than you could with a Tejon, which to me means in "All Metal," because we all know that the LST goes into a factory preset ground balance mode as soon as you flip to Discriminate mode. Yes, the 11" x 8" Widescan does give better depth than the stock Eliptical in Discrimination, BUT there is no way it as as deep as the Tejon when discriminating.

I think you should just stay with your Whites machines there in fantasyland, but hey, that is just my opinion.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, settings, sens about 9, disc at 5 cents, thres just at a low hum, ground balance at mid point. Keep in mind the Outlaw is not a depth king, but sometimes its not about the depth. I was pleasantly suprised that the new coil gave an " air " reading of about 10" on a dime. Also keep in mind that result will vary when said dime is acutally in the ground.
Its hard for me to find the deep stuff in my area, most of my parks and schools are newer. The deepest stuff is usally 6 to 8 inches for coins. Even with my wife's Minelab Safari which is the deepest machine we own for parks, we still only find them in that range. The deepest target I ever dug with a Tesoro was a small ciruit board from a old flip phone 2x2". It was 18" in the wet sand and was found with my Sand Shark. Kind of cool.

Very nice. I am hoping to acquire the Outlaw in the future. I own the golden umax which I enjoy very much, but with out the ground balance I know I am not getting great depth. I realize that the Outlaw does not go as deep as the vaq, but I am sure it will do better than the umax. This spring, I think I will spring for the new coil and see how it does on the golden.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Rusty. The major thing I enjoy with the 11" x 8" Widescan over the 12" x 10" coil is the lighter weight and better balance without LOSS of depth. If you put the 11" x 8" Widescan on your new Tejon, you may never take it off!.
For buried treasures, 2 feet or deeper, which coil is the best for a Vaquero?

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 11 x 8 coil is an excellent coil. For its size the seperation is phenomenol. And the depth is on par if not better than the stock coil. I agree with Tab man that the weight is about the same as the stock also. I do believe we will be seeing a smaller RSD technology search coil soon so keep your eyes open.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this is a little off subject, but regarding a few posts back concerning the warranty not being transferable on the Tesoro machines, I think there is little to go wrong with them, so I don't have as much hesitation with buying a usedTesoro over other brands, but I contacted Tesoro last year and they stated that if you aren't the first purchaser there is only a $50 service charge for repairs. I feel that these two factors should take any hesitation away, IMO.
Just the opposite, I contacted Fisher and you can be the second owner of a brand new machine and they will not warranty it (at least on paper).

I've traded/bought 6-8 used Fisher machines and 3 had electronic issues.

I've traded and sold (only bought one new one) around 10 Tesoro detectors and none of them had any problems outside of scratches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For buried treasures, 2 feet and deeper, which coil is the best for a Vaquero?

HS, You need to go back and read the advice we all tried to give you weeks ago. Forget "2 feet or deeper," unless you are willing to spend a few thousand dollars.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Terry and others that contributed to this post. This is EXACTLY the info that I have been searching for !!! There will be a new 11x8 on my Tejon this spring. :thumbsup:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received the new Vaquero I ordered and I've noticed a big difference after mounting and holding the machine with the 11 x 8" coil. The coil is better balanced than the stock coil and much, much better than the 12 x 10" coil.

20160205_152959.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Steve

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2016
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Alabama we have minerialised soil. I've been using the 10" Elliptical Wide-scan. Does the new 11 X 8" Wide-scan offer any significance difference? I feel like I'm doing some better than with the stock coil but am trying to decide if it's worth it to change.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry, I have the Vaquero with the 8 x 11 loop. My daughter was using the Cibola with the regular small loop with me yesterday at the beach. I directed her to black sand patch that had a lot of big dig holes in it and she pulled out 3 English halfpennies and a broken one. I got sinkers and pulltabs. It was fun. Love those Tesoro's on the black sand.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have done well on the beach with the Cibola. It does handle the black sand very well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions