Choosing a first detector for the wife?

westside bengal

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, new member here.

I am wanting to buy my wife a detector. We are complete MD noobs.

She is 58 and not really the most computer savvy. I am thinking lightweight and simple is best.

The struggle I am having is defining simple. To me and reading about Tesoro's...turn on and go...seems the easiest.

Other folks try to tell something like the Garrett Ace 350 or Eurotek Pro (something with a screen) is easier for beginners. I am not convinced and feel if you don't don't have the knowledge it can be set up wrong and miss stuff.

So, if Tesoro is the way to go for a beginning detector how do I pick one? I am thinking about a budget of $200-$300 budget and that leaves me the Compadre, Silver uMax and the Cibola as choices.

For a complete noob, who really won't know what she is doing and will likely dig most anything that beeps for awhile, can someone explain to me which one you would buy and why? Also if you really think a display unit is the way to go please don't hesitate to speak up.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What detector are you using? Why wouldn't you get her the same so you can learn together.

OP
OP
W

westside bengal

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have one as at this point in time. I might decide later on but I have other hobbies that I do. She is looking for something to get outdoors and get some exercise besides just walking around the neighborhood.

She put me in charge of help choosing one since she knows I am anal about researching stuff.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you'll be detecting any longer than 30 minutes or so weight is going to be the #1 issue. I let me wife use my AT Pro and after 10 minutes she was done because of the weight. We ended up getting the Tesoro Compadre (2.2 lbs compared to just over 3lbs on the AT PRO) and it turned from 10 minutes to a couple hour hunts. It soon got a name from her (Penny). For weight and performance I don't think you can do any better. Less than a pound doesn't sound like much, but the % lighter is huge...it helps with the balance then as well.

Hope this helps!

williedigit

Oct 24, 2015
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and WHITES SILVER EAGLE also MINELAB 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you at pro and wife mine lab 505 or 705

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a silver umax for my wife, she likes it alot as do I. Simple to operate and very accurate. I'll leave my expensive machines home sometimes and go out with the silver.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go-Find 40 or 60 would be an awesome and simple detector. Gives the fun on a VDI, can kind of see what you are doing instead of dials and knobs - Light weight, portable, has a FEW (Very few) coil options. Sensitive and can go on Fresh and Salt beaches but not too much water or they don't work... And price point is a steal at 250 for Top of the Line Go-Find series. Otherwise a Garrett Ace 250 OR an Xterra 505 would be awesome little machines.

just my $0.02 =)

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if my gal got interested, i would have got her the silver Umax. but, she is not. the compadre, silver, or cibola are all good choices. at-pro is a overated machine. other than being waterproof, well some are. there are better machines for that kind of money. a friend got a new at-pro. had to send it back 3 times in the first season because of leaking issues. he now has a supposed waterproof detector that he dont dare to get near water now. haha. regrets even buying it. the cibola and vaquero can do just as well and in some cases better. i know that for a fact. i detect with him every now and then.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver uMax! Light, simple, and you can put the new 11" x 8" Widescan coil on it when you get more experience. Huge resale value when you want to trade up.

Attachments

• IMG_20151221_150213.jpg
    IMG_20151221_150213.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20151228_142335.jpg
    IMG_20151228_142335.jpg
    975.1 KB · Views: 97

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent you an ad I found, it's for a Fisher F2, 2 coils, headphones, 2 digging tools, 2 pin pointers, and a carrying case $175. Great deal if it is still available

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My digging partner aka Wife and I started this journey together about 2 years ago. She started with the trusty and VERY easy to operate Compadre , me with my Fav the Outlaw. Since then we have slowly added to our mix of detectors. She now has 3 detectors, and I have 4. So I understand what your asking. For us IF we were to do it all over again we would STILL start with a Tesoro product. Why, because they are easy to learn and have the great warranty. The value of learing on a Tesoro cannot be measured in dollars and cents. It can ONLY be appreciated after you start to fiddle and I do mean FIDDLE with other machines. You WILL learn to understand a single tone IF you choose one of the single tone units. The tone will be short, clipped , choppy , sippy , long , smooth , scacthy ect... Learning one tone over many is easier. After you have a good grasp on tone , then look at the multi tone units. Tesoros are good at being able to disc out the bad and allow the good mabye one of the best. A good set of headphones is a must to learn the tones. If I were to choose I would choose the Silver Umax for a begining digging partner or the Vaq if she wants to really grow into a machine. The Vaq will give her the challenge of figuring out how to ground balance which in the long run is important. The tone on the Vaq is not to MY liking but it does not bother others where the tone on the Silver is much prefered by my ears. If your wife is a nag get her the Vaq and mabye she will learn not to be one , Ha Ha. The Silver is a good starter machine because if she doesnt " dig it " then it can always be used as a great back up machine and your only out a few bucks. The Cibola is good IF she doesn't want to learn how to GB but then you will lose that important function thats why I prefer the Vaq over it. Dont forget to save money for the gear, as for diggers one name, Lesche shovel and digger.
These are just my thoughts as a noob, hope it helps.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I sent you an ad I found, it's for a Fisher F2, 2 coils, headphones, 2 digging tools, 2 pin pointers, and a carrying case $175. Great deal if it is still available

That's one heck of a deal!

When you add up those accessories included, which you need IMO, cept for the case. some of these suggested machines are gonna cost your 200-300 budget all by itself. It's be nice to know what pinpointers are included, but from my experience when I began, I was gonna quit before I got a pinpointer. Diggers HPs, 2-coils...how can you beat it for a new detectorist?

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a silver umax for my wife, she likes it alot as do I. Simple to operate and very accurate. I'll leave my expensive machines home sometimes and go out with the silver.

Yep, the Tesoro Silver µMax kicks butt and is really fun to use.

tabman

OP
OP
W

westside bengal

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning toward the Silver uMax right now. I have started to look at used ones also. What would a good price on a Vaquero be? $300-350?

I know this is the Tesoro forum but since others have been mentioned.....the Eurotek Pro with 11" coil seems to get good reviews. Does anyone have an opinion on it?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning toward the Silver uMax right now. I have started to look at used ones also. What would a good price on a Vaquero be? $300-350?...

That would be a Great price on a Excellent condition Vaquero.

Silver uMax 8" :

• Frequency : 10 kHz
  • Total Weight : 2.2 lbs (1 kg)
  • Warranty : Lifetime Warranty
  • Search Modes : Silent Search All Metal Mode, Silent Search Discriminate Mode
Eurotek Pro 11" :

• Frequency : 7.81 kHz
  • Warranty : 5 Year Limited
  • Total Weight : 2.6 lbs (1.18 kgs)
  • Discrimination Control : Eliminate All Trash and Junk Metals
  • Sensitivity Control : Adjust Detector to Changing Ground Conditions at your Command
  • Variable Iron Discrimination : Iron Objects are Very Easy to Reject by Simply Adjusting the Target-ID between 1 and 39
For $45.00 less, the Tesoro is a great buy. It's lighter, operates at a slightly higher kHz with a concentric coil that gives excellent depth and sensitivity. Take a look on Ebay or other sites, and compare the resale value of the two machines. You can't go wrong with either of these!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe Tesoro's are the most unforgiving for a noob. Hear a beep, it's metal. Plan on digging just about everything until you can master the single sound it makes.

For my wife I'd get no less than the F2. Easy to use and learn and light. Tesoro's are great machines. I had three. If you are going to have to have a Tesoro, I'd get the DeLeon for a noob. But until you have a good idea on metal conductivity, I'd let the computer (screen) assist you, or you could get discouraged.

Last edited:

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax and fisher f44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro silver umax was my first and I love it. Easy to swing all day and I'm 5'3" 112lbs. I don't get tired with it. Can't beat the warranty and performs well. I'd recommend it for sure. Years later, I'm def happy with it b

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
HOW ABOUT LIGHT IN WEIGHT , SIMPLE TO USE ..FAIRLY DECENT AT FINDING STUFF AND NOT TOO COSTLY TO BOOT? IF SO TRY THE DELTA 4000 ABOUT $279 BUCKS

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What the hells the matter with you?

Sheesh- go buy her the most expensive detector on the market. Get the one with all the bells and whistles. Buy the best gol-damn detector out there.

Get one that is at least 2K. Put it on the credit card for god's sake...

Let her open it up. Tell her how much you love her. Tell her how much you want to spend time with her, just one to one.

It will be special. You are making MEMORIES! Forever MEMORIES!

Get out there and DIG DIG DIG!

In about 3 weeks she will be sick of it and you end up with a REALLY COOL detector that she can't possibly complain about.

Now get on the net and start ordering!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe Tesoro's are the most unforgiving for a noob. Hear a beep, it's metal. Plan on digging just about everything until you can master the single sound it makes....

I must disagree. For the novice/new user, you simply set the discrimination at maximum, and let them dig silver and clad - That is how you learn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread