Down to three,which one?

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had those machines, but I owned an F4 for a short while and used the Tesoro Silver. I would hang onto the Silver simply because they are good machines. I own approximately 12 machines, and 3 being my "go tos" but I can't seem to shake the Tesoro's. I own a Vaquero, Cibola and Compradre right now. A lot of times I grab my CTX or Deus and also the Vaquero and will pull either one out when I hit the yards.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure but I would look at the Cibola very closely. Has frequency shift to help when you may have outside EMI. If I were new to the game and was considering the Tesoro lineup that is. I have never owned a Tesoro but getting ready to maybe pull the trigger on a Compadre for my daughter's birthday. I like the no frills just basically turn on and go simplicity of Tesoro's!

Plus I may be adding the Sand Shark to my lineup for beach hunting down the road. That lifetime warranty is real appealing.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, you can't go wrong with a Tesoro. Learing a single tone first will help you. If you find that you enjoy this hobby after a year or so then get a mulit tone machine and you will find it easier to learn after learning with a Tesoro. Mulit tones can be confusing at first , also trying to figure out what number corresponds to what will take some time. Some mulit tone machines to time to update the screen info too which takes some time to get use to. With a Tesoro they are what are called "fast" you get almost instant info when you pass over a target, as you learn your machine you will have a pretty good guess as to what is passing under you coil. On Tesoro you'll also have a very good Discrimination circuitry which will allow you to reject SOME of the bad targets. Tesoro, light, fast, accurate and lifetime warranty.
BUT these are just MY opions others may vary. HH.

OP
OP
Digzit2

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax and fisher f44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote for the silver because it's my first detector and I love it still. I found it very simple and fun. U can't beat that warranty and I'm a girl who likes a good warranty. I find lots with it and it seems to go pretty deep. [emoji4]
I however don't have experience with the other two options. Just sharing my experience.

Last edited:

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i bought the vaquero for my first machine. it has everything you will need on it and wont need to upgrade soon or ever. dont be nervous about manual the ground balance. it is such an easy thing to do, if you can read and follow basic instructions. i never touched a detector before and had no problems. actually, cant see why some have a difficult time with it. if you know you will like this hobby as i did, spent the money now. forget about this "starter or beginner detector" stuff. you will soon want to upgrade. thats something dealers tell you so you will buy more detectors. so, i say get something like the vaquero now.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
8I own and hunt with Tesoros and Fishers.
Started with a Bounty hunter low end but upgraded to a Vaquero within a few months.
Enjoyed the heck out of that one, loved learning the audio language and found much.
Bought an F2 two coil package a couple months later just as a take on vacation and guest/backup detector but to my surprise I had so much fun learning it and I found so much from the first day that it became my prime hunting tool for the next three years.
If you are lucky somewhere, sometime you come across a detector that you really click with and I found that in the F2 which found me a ton in the first 18 months and then much, much more in the next 18 months after switching to the free sniper coil.
The $200 investment eventually translated to over 10 X's that amount in those 3 years as I continued to learn the Fisher language as well as I possibly could...the amount if fun I had hunting with it was priceless.
I still took out the Vaq from time to time and kept learning and experimenting, hunting the Tesoro way is still a ton of fun for me but different than hunting with screen units and by using both I learned things with one that helped me out with another and I still do that.
Not long after I got the F2 I also bought a Compadre.
As much as I enjoy hunting with the Vaq I think I enjoy using the Compadre even more if that is possible.
Something about the simplicity of the one knob and the language of that tone also really clicked with me and that one entered heavy rotation as I put the F2 on the back burner for awhile as I tried to learn it pretty well.
The Compadre works so well and in certain situations better than any others that it constantly surprised me and to this day I still believe every hunter should have one in his arsenal...they are crazy if they don't.

A couple of years ago I graduated to the F70 and everything I learned from the F2 transfered over and since then I have learned a ton more using all the extra settings and abilities this one possesses.
I still have an affinity for those Fishers and that F70 is my prime but I still pull out the Vaq from time to time and the Compadre even more than that.
Can't tell you how much I still enjoy switching between all three, getting rid of my Tesoros never enters my mind and not having them around to pull out and use when I feel like a change would make this a very different hobby for me...and much less enjoyable.

As far as a total newbie experience I feel learning the basics and how to hunt at the beginning is a bit easier with screen units overall.
I also feel learning to hunt the Tesoro way with only audio is something that everyone should experience, in the end it could only make you a better hunter even if you prefer using units with screens, but learning everything you need to learn at first us just easier with both audio and screen information as you learn.
As far as your 3 choices you might have guessed the F2 would be my choice, the 2 coil package for sure because learning with the small sniper coil is also easier.
I also hear some good things about the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro which has some decent features for the price and can be found fairly cheap if you look around.
Your first choice as you enter the hobby is rarely the one and only and last unit you will probably own, most if us upgrade as we learn what kind of hunter we really want to be and more about detectors and what will work for us the best but that first one is important.
Whatever you end up with just vow to learn it well and you will enjoy this hobby more than you might think possible.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread